Class of 2017 - QB Jack Coan (NY) Verbal to Wisconsin | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 QB Jack Coan (NY) Verbal to Wisconsin

FWIW my colleague is a big LI sports guy. Knows his HS coach. Stanford is the team to beat.
Sounds about right. We're not going to have much of a shot here, unfortunately, unless the visit blows him away.

chugg21 said:
Top of what? The ACC? In 2-3 years? I wish I could have that kind of optimism in life.

#3 in our division, giving Clemson and FSU a hard time is what I meant. That's very much attainable.

Sad to say, but recruits like him, especially at QB, don't move the needle for me anymore. I've gotten excited in the past only to see them choose another school time after time after time. At this point, I just don't expect us to land a game changer at QB. I know some will probably point to Babers and his exciting offense. As of today he hasn't won a game at Syracuse. If and when we finally do land a stud at QB, I'll temper my excitement until he actually gets to campus. That's just the depressing reality at this point. That being said, I'll still buy my season tickets and I'll still check this board every day, and I'll still root like Hell for the team.
I have a tendency to feel the same way. I think we have a better chance with Hill but who knows? Wondering how you felt the we offered D. McNabb? He was almost the new QB at FL ST. instead of SU.

McNabb at FSU?

Are you sure you don't mean Nebraska. He was close to being a Husker, but he didn't want to sit behind Tommie Frazier.

I don't recall FSU ever being in the conversation.
Yeah, I recall some schools wanting him to play a different position (LB?), and SU and Neb. wanted himm@ QB. I don't recall Fla. State being in the mix.

McNabb at FSU?

Are you sure you don't mean Nebraska. He was close to being a Husker, but he didn't want to sit behind Tommie Frazier.

And I think we lost Frazier because we had Donnie Mac.

All this talk about get a top notch QB, but it seems as tho everyone or almost everyone has very little Faith in Rex Culpepper. We haven't seen him much to really evaluate what he may do, but we did take him based on a lot of his ptential and what we did see. He may be the stud that everyone is waiting for. I think we have a really good start at the moment with Dungey, Culpepper, and pull in one of these upper tier guys and then the rest will follow. Just my opinion
To me, this is not about Rex or any of our exiting QB's it's about becoming a top tier program. Top tier programs bring in highly rated QB's every year! Also the past is not pro-log to the future unless you live in the past. Let's get behind the efforts of HCDB and staff and their efforts to build a top tier program. Go Orange!

Sad to say, but recruits like him, especially at QB, don't move the needle for me anymore. I've gotten excited in the past only to see them choose another school time after time after time. At this point, I just don't expect us to land a game changer at QB. I know some will probably point to Babers and his exciting offense. As of today he hasn't won a game at Syracuse. If and when we finally do land a stud at QB, I'll temper my excitement until he actually gets to campus. That's just the depressing reality at this point. That being said, I'll still buy my season tickets and I'll still check this board every day, and I'll still root like Hell for the team.
I have a tendency to feel the same way. I think we have a better chance with Hill but who knows? Wondering how you felt the we offered D. McNabb? He was almost the new QB at FL ST. instead of SU.
McNabb at FSU?

“I was fortunate,” McNabb said, reflecting back on the entire recruiting process. “Notre Dame wanted me for both. Indiana [when it had Bob Knight] wanted me for both. [Kentucky coach] Rick Pitino actually asked me, ‘So what are you going to do?’”

It was a question any 17-year-old would be floored by: The most prominent hoops coach of the era wanted him to join a program on the verge of ripping off three straight Final Fours. McNabb seriously considered it, at least until he looked at the flip side of playing two sports at a school where basketball was king.

“Man, Kentucky isn’t all that good at football,” McNabb thought at the time.

Eventually the recruiting process dwindled, and basketball still actually played a large role in his final choice. With a busy hoops schedule, he elected to take only two official visits during his senior year instead of the allotted five.

Those two visits went to Nebraska and Syracuse, although ironically it was an unofficial visit prior to his senior year that stands out most to McNabb all these years later.

At the time McNabb’s brother was attending school in Tallahassee, Fla., and the younger McNabb and his father decided to visit. While in town, they checked out the local football power, where McNabb bumped into both a college legend and a player he grew up idolizing.

“I was a huge Charlie Ward fan,” McNabb said of the fellow dual-sport star who won a Heisman Trophy at Florida State before moving on to an 11-year NBA career. “I’m visualizing playing at Florida State, thinking ‘My God.’”

Someone else shared the same vision.

“It was funny,” McNabb said. “Bobby Bowden came up behind me and says, ‘Donovan, I’m hearing a lot of great things about you.’ Are you the next Charlie Ward?”

McNabb didn’t hesitate in giving an answer. “I’m like, ‘Ding! Yes I am!’” he said.

In the immediacy of the moment, McNabb seriously considered Florida State, but Tallahassee was just too far away from Chicago. Instead he choose to play both football and, for a time, basketball at Syracuse.

Ironically, “distance” would also come into play a few years later when McNabb himself was a recruiter at Syracuse and hosting Vick, who Syracuse hoped would be his heir-apparent at quarterback.

“I was fortunate,” McNabb said, reflecting back on the entire recruiting process. “Notre Dame wanted me for both. Indiana [when it had Bob Knight] wanted me for both. [Kentucky coach] Rick Pitino actually asked me, ‘So what are you going to do?’”

It was a question any 17-year-old would be floored by: The most prominent hoops coach of the era wanted him to join a program on the verge of ripping off three straight Final Fours. McNabb seriously considered it, at least until he looked at the flip side of playing two sports at a school where basketball was king.

“Man, Kentucky isn’t all that good at football,” McNabb thought at the time.

Eventually the recruiting process dwindled, and basketball still actually played a large role in his final choice. With a busy hoops schedule, he elected to take only two official visits during his senior year instead of the allotted five.

Those two visits went to Nebraska and Syracuse, although ironically it was an unofficial visit prior to his senior year that stands out most to McNabb all these years later.

At the time McNabb’s brother was attending school in Tallahassee, Fla., and the younger McNabb and his father decided to visit. While in town, they checked out the local football power, where McNabb bumped into both a college legend and a player he grew up idolizing.

“I was a huge Charlie Ward fan,” McNabb said of the fellow dual-sport star who won a Heisman Trophy at Florida State before moving on to an 11-year NBA career. “I’m visualizing playing at Florida State, thinking ‘My God.’”

Someone else shared the same vision.

“It was funny,” McNabb said. “Bobby Bowden came up behind me and says, ‘Donovan, I’m hearing a lot of great things about you.’ Are you the next Charlie Ward?”

McNabb didn’t hesitate in giving an answer. “I’m like, ‘Ding! Yes I am!’” he said.

In the immediacy of the moment, McNabb seriously considered Florida State, but Tallahassee was just too far away from Chicago. Instead he choose to play both football and, for a time, basketball at Syracuse.

Ironically, “distance” would also come into play a few years later when McNabb himself was a recruiter at Syracuse and hosting Vick, who Syracuse hoped would be his heir-apparent at quarterback.
Yeah I take that as Donovan visited his brother, and toured the program in an unofficial capacity. He was never offered.

Venting > Perhaps I am too much about now and also impatient. I've had enough years of SUFB mediocrity and worse and am tired of them. I also realize there are other QB's and a lot of time between now and signing day. I personally don't want to wait to eek out another bowl win to prove ourselves worthy but will. Everyone is talking about Coan and his ability and that it would be great to have him at SU. We offered along with Hill, (these two are the best in the east and close to the top nationally), and wanted people to be aware of things that may eventually be coming to fruition. So my reminder - passionate, yes but as I mentioned there is no crystal ball. Coan could go to the Big House and Hill to MD. We'll all see what happens. There is always hope. I think this new HC and staff has given us a lot to be optimistic about.:)
Please, we have only occasionally achieved even mediocrity lately. Becoming average would be a big improvement.

Well it’s Jack Coan visiting day. Soul searching, considering what recruits can see as well as we can. Looking over the past eleven seasons at our best yearly and overall W-L records during the following HC’s tenures - Shafer, three years, 7-6, 14-23 - Marrone, four years, 8-5, 25-25 and Robinson, four years, 3-9, 5-37. Perhaps I should be more patient and allow DB to achieve, I hope, much better results for us and recruits to digest. Do you have faith?
I think that there is one important connection that I haven’t mentioned here but once. It is that Kasim Hill is transferring from the Gilman School in MD to St. Johns College HS in DC. The new associate head coach at St. Johns and director of the entrepreneurial character building skills program which he’s headed up for the past 13 years is Joe Casamento 143-27 - 17 years at CBA and a coach twice for Henninger. I think you may assume that Dino and Joe have already been in touch - coaching is a very tight community. Considering Kasim’s father is pro SU we may have a better chance with Hill, who I personally like the skills of, over Jack. All hope and good luck to DB and his staff and to SU.

Last edited by a moderator:
My previous point was not that SU doesn't get somewhat lucky from time to time with a decent QB. Nassib turned out good after not being heavily recruited. Dungey appears to have the potential to be very good given the limited time we've seen him on the field. My point was that we aren't usually in the mix for the 4 and 5 star (yes, I know stars aren't everything) creme de la creme of the quarterbacking universe. Due to that, although I'd love to have Coan, or even Hill, I'm not pushing my chips into the center of the table on them. Hopefully with some offensive success under Babers, that may change. Until it does, I'll just hope we get a solid recruit capable of running Babers' system. Regardless, I hope Coan's visit goes better than either he or his family expected and that he likes what he sees and hears.

I thought Floyd was relocating to Vegas.

Seems like we did all we could for an initial visit...gonna be a battle with the big boys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom