Class of 2021 - QB Kyle McCord (NJ) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/17/23) | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 QB Kyle McCord (NJ) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/17/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my sons goes to UB so I follow the football team a bit and went to two home games this year. First one, he looked serviceable and I could see him as a "game manager" type when they had a strong running game. Second one, he was benched and the back up played a majority of the game.

No idea how he translates here, just a little shocking to me if he is the #1 for us out of the portal. Although with a preferred rushing attack (as discussed by HCFB) he may be able to get us through one year until real QB recruiting can take hold.
I think if the UB QB is brought on, it would be to provide depth. I couldn't see him as any higher than our 3rd QB. I have to guess we are waiting to see how McCord's visit to Nebraska goes. If he's still open, I think he's our priority target.

I am very interested to see what happens at QB. Outside of Muschamp, we haven't offered any QB. Synder who came for an OV still hasn't been "officially" offered. Seems we have offered multiple players at every position outside of QB. Outside of McCord, we haven't really been linked to anyone else in the portal. All silent on the QB front which is strange because we have a spot for immediate playing time.

Dusty and Danny had some recruiting guy on this morning (I joined late so didn’t catch the name), he said that McCord “ wouldn’t be impacted by the Raiola.” Sounded like the money is there for both guys, 5 star has the family connections and then obviously McCord would come in expecting to be the starter. They didn’t talk about SU at all though. Again, didn’t catch his name so idk his pedigree.
I think it was Wiltfong

I am very interested to see what happens at QB. Outside of Muschamp, we haven't offered any QB. Synder who came for an OV still hasn't been "officially" offered. Seems we have offered multiple players at every position outside of QB. Outside of McCord, we haven't really been linked to anyone else in the portal. All silent on the QB front which is strange because we have a spot for immediate playing time.
Q. How do we know when someone has been offered?
There is no public mechanism to make it known, is there? Is it just inside info or shown on a recruits social media?
Maybe there are recruits that don't bother listing every, or any, school that offers, so we never really know.

There is a mass exodus of QBs after the regular season ends. There will be another at the end of spring practice, when ambitious QBs wanting to start right away see they have been beat out for the starting position and look to find a place where immediate playing time will be more likely.

I hope we can get our starter for 2024 this cycle, so he can enroll and play spring ball, learn the new system and start to build a relationship with his receivers.

It will be tough to get all that to happen over the summer and the preseason.

I wonder what the story is with Daequan Finn. Good dual-threat QB whose transfer recruitment has been quiet.
Only thing I've seen is he's supposed to visit Wisconsin. I have to imagine he's gonna have a lot of options though.

Only thing I've seen is he's supposed to visit Wisconsin. I have to imagine he's gonna have a lot of options though.
It appears an Oregon State insider has indicated DeQuan Finn could be in play for them as well. Also, it seems like Wisconsin is pushing harder for Tyler Van Dyke at the moment and he actually has a confirmed visit there.

I hope we at least reach out to gauge his interest.

There is a mass exodus of QBs after the regular season ends. There will be another at the end of spring practice, when ambitious QBs wanting to start right away see they have been beat out for the starting position and look to find a place where immediate playing time will be more likely.

I hope we can get our starter for 2024 this cycle, so he can enroll and play spring ball, learn the new system and start to build a relationship with his receivers.

It will be tough to get all that to happen over the summer and the preseason.

Yup, I would prefer our QB in place at the start of Spring ball. Everyone will be learning a new system on offense so I would like our "projected" starting QB to be here for that process with the rest of the team. I thought that would have been one of our first priorities to get done (not saying it isn't happening in the back channels just not getting the headlines like the other offers we are throwing around).

A dual threat QB would be ideal.

I do wonder with proper coaching how bad our oline is actually? I personally think we have some talent there, not a ton but there is some but I feel the coaching/teaching on the oline was lacking severely.

I do wonder with proper coaching how bad our oline is actually? I personally think we have some talent there, not a ton but there is some but I feel the coaching/teaching on the oline was lacking severely.
We legitimately haven’t been above average in pass blocking since Marrone was here. Even the 2018 line - Dungey covered up for a lot of warts there. And I’ve always wondered if it was personnel or coaching/scheme.

We legitimately haven’t been above average in pass blocking since Marrone was here. Even the 2018 line - Dungey covered up for a lot of warts there. And I’ve always wondered if it was personnel or coaching/scheme.

I think it is a combo but how much was coaching/scheme nobody will really know but I lean more towards that because it seems almost impossible to have a terrible OLine this long if the coaching/scheme was good.

One thing he could mention is our injury history at QB. If you are the second team QB at Syracuse sometime in the last 10 years, odds are really good you are going to end the season as the starter and start a bunch of games.

We don't have a great OL and the QB is going to get hit. A fair number of times.
True but that's also been largely because our last two QBs have been relentless running the ball. The hit that Shrader took during the Clemson game really could have been avoided. Dungey and Shrader are/were warriors who sometimes took more punishment than needed. They both certainly have the R and T in DART.

Hartman opted out of the Sun Bowl.

Angeli will be the starter on Dec 29. If he portals, it wouldn't be until afterwards.
Fingers crossed.

No matter how much NIL money is available elsewhere, Kyle will gain mor lifetime value from being coached by Fran Brown!
IMG_0835.jpeg

having an influx of more talented and physical wide receivers should help any qb (and the Oline) look much better as well

True but that's also been largely because our last two QBs have been relentless running the ball. The hit that Shrader took during the Clemson game really could have been avoided. Dungey and Shrader are/were warriors who sometimes took more punishment than needed. They both certainly have the R and T in DART.
I don't care really if a QB is a running option. Just want someone who can scramble effectively.

My buddy is a ND fan. With Riley Leonard and other guys coming in. He thinks Angeli wants to use the bowl game as a full game audition and then go from there with the writing on the wall. Said he looked good In his opportunities this year

Last edited:
There are literally dozens of QBs in the portal. Whether they're any good who knows but there are bodies.
I don't want a body, I want a good player. Don't we all.

I don't care really if a QB is a running option. Just want someone who can scramble effectively.
I think all our 4 star WR commits would disagree with you. So much so they will not sign with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom