Class of 2021 - QB Kyle McCord (NJ) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/17/23) | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 QB Kyle McCord (NJ) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/17/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The corp. I work for is based in Columbus, I posted the SI link on our teams page last night and it seems there are some sour grapes from some of my colleagues, lol. Imagine an 11 and 1 record not being good enough.

"You can have him Kelly, he was a 5 star but IMO he's pretty average, it's not going to be the Joe Burrow story"

hahahahaha

Thats probably what they said about Joe Burrow...

If - I repeat "if" - McCord ends up committing to Syracuse, this forum and Syracuse Twitter may literally, or at least figuratively, explode, and I'm here for all of it. Fun times, friends. Enjoy the ride. Oh, and happy weekend. :)
Keep those pencils sharpened. And thanks for the articles.

I'll take average. I think that's better than who we have sitting in the clubhouse.
I think this is true. Let’s start a discussion on how good McCord really is.

I’ve watched him play. Not a lot, but a little. I think he’s serviceable. And I don’t mean that in a negative, backhanded way. I think he’s good, certainly an improvement over what we have. I’m just not sure how good he is.

It cannot be underestimated what throwing to those receivers at OSU behind a stout oline can do for a QB. How would he have looked this year had he been in our offense, for instance?

I’m not taking anything away from the kid, I truly don’t know. Again, having watched him a bit, I think he’s good. He no doubt can make throws, which is a lot more than we’ve had lately.

I guess the question is, is he a difference maker? If so, how much? If not, what does he need to be one? A dominant oline? What are our chances that we can field what he needs to make a difference?

Every NFL team run some type of inside/outside/split zone along with gap runs. College teams do all that. Actually the NFL has taken from college schemes.
NFL teams also complain about the lack of fundamental development in college linemen. Spread has often been the scapegoat - tempo was, in the past. (Plenty of NFL oline coach quotes about it)

Whatever the cause? Preparing Oline for the NFL is lacking, and a system/philosophy to help in that cause should be appealing to linemen.

Some NFL All Pro thoughts:

NFL teams also complain about the lack of fundamental development in college linemen. Spread has often been the scapegoat - tempo was, in the past. (Plenty of NFL oline coach quotes about it)

Whatever the cause? Preparing Oline for the NFL is lacking, and a system/philosophy to help in that cause should be appealing to linemen.

Some NFL All Pro thoughts:
A couple new OL recruits coming for the weekend. Should make you happy!

Check Mike McAllister's visitor list. It is in the Daily Articles.

I'll take average. I think that's better than who we have sitting in the clubhouse.

I think both sides are right. I don't think he is a playmaker, which is what tOSU is expecting. But he is a good get for SU. I don't think he is as good as a Nassib but I think he could be similar to a guy like Leary. Which is a big deal for us given our situation.

They still have to draft the lineman coming out of the schemes that they are adopting. When NFL teams commit to running the ball they do it well. This is not 1992. Many ways to run the ball now. It has nothing to do with spread offense. Just watch line play. Its the same

I’ve watched him play. Not a lot, but a little. I think he’s serviceable. And I don’t mean that in a negative, backhanded way. I think he’s good, certainly an improvement over what we have. I’m just not sure how good he is.

It cannot be underestimated what throwing to those receivers at OSU behind a stout oline can do for a QB. How would he have looked this year had he been in our offense, for instance?

I’m not taking anything away from the kid, I truly don’t know. Again, having watched him a bit, I think he’s good. He no doubt can make throws, which is a lot more than we’ve had lately.

I guess the question is, is he a difference maker? If so, how much? If not, what does he need to be one? A dominant oline? What are our chances that we can field what he needs to make a difference?
He was 3rd in the Big Ten in PFF grade and 2nd in QBR. That's pretty good for first season as a starter. Usually college QB's have their greatest growth between year one and year two starting. The biggest criticism I have seen against him is he sometimes does not pull the trigger when plays may be there. He'd certainly be the best passer we have had in quite some time.

Even in the Michigan game which people have seemed to criticize him for he put up nearly the identical stat line that Stroud had last year.

Checked Heritage Hill web site. Say’s they are closed this Saturday. Must be SU has the place to themselves.
1702647857972.png

Good points. We've seen what a golden arm looks like when receivers are subpar, an oline is terrible, and the QB isn't Houdini.

They still have to draft the lineman coming out of the schemes that they are adopting. When NFL teams commit to running the ball they do it well. This is not 1992. Many ways to run the ball now. It has nothing to do with spread offense. Just watch line play. Its the same
Plenty of thoughts out there. Oline play has declined - and yes, the NFL will have to adapt- but they also prefer guys coming out of college with stronger fundamentals. Google NFL oline crisis - Lots to debate. Some feel that nothing from the college game translates..(the tweet from this week, etc...) Being sound here, may make us more appealing to olinemen. Thats all.

With the options on the roster. Just being good for SU puts them in a way better positon

I hope we let them get involved.
NYS is gonna be pissed at them. NY does not allow car manufacturers to own dealerships. TS is going to let Tesla have a dealership at TS.

Last edited:
He was 3rd in the Big Ten in PFF grade and 2nd in QBR. That's pretty good for first season as a starter. Usually college QB's have their greatest growth between year one and year two starting. The biggest criticism I have seen against him is he sometimes does not pull the trigger when plays may be there. He'd certainly be the best passer we have had in quite some time.

Even in the Michigan game which people have seemed to criticize him for he put up nearly the identical stat line that Stroud had last year.

What worries me about him is the baggage with his Dad... rumors that OSU staff had had enough and why they essentially told him he was out as starter/pushed him to portal, there was supposedly disqueiet in the lockeroom with him, and even that the Nebraska transfer move broke down because of his old man...

Let me be clear... I have no idea if ANY of that is true... just read bits and pieces from various sources that claim it is... Seen enough chirping on it to have concern is all... Hopefully just interwebs BS...

Here's hoping that if Fran sees any such red flags, we say thanks, but no thx. We don't need any of that, especially for a 1-year transfer that would likely cost us $1mil+ in NIL.

Trust in Fran.

Plenty of thoughts out there. Oline play has declined - and yes, the NFL will have to adapt- but they also prefer guys coming out of college with stronger fundamentals. Google NFL oline crisis - Lots to debate. Some feel that nothing from the college game translates..(the tweet from this week, etc...) Being sound here, may make us more appealing to olinemen. Thats all.

Why does any of that matter if they are still running the ball effectively? Look at the top 10 rushing teams in the NFL. There is nothing traditional about their schemes (maybe Cleveland). Buffalo is top 10 and they have average RB's. The game has evolved.

The NFL are drafting all the same offensive lineman that come from these schemes. Whether we like it or not. I dont see a huge drop off in running stats. Its a passing league now but teams do well when they commit to running the ball. The traits for being a fundamentally sound lineman has changed because the game has changed. NFL teams look for measurables first and foremost.

Would you rather have the Snyder kid from UB - he played behind a craptastic OLine so maybe he's better suited?

If McCord can throw an accurate forward pass then he's a difference maker.

Ohio State allowed 19 sacks this season 1.58 per game

Syracuse allowed 28 sacks. 2.33 per game

There were numerous times our QB had time to throw and didn't pull the trigger. Whether our kids couldn't get open or the route tree sucked I don't know. Probably a combination. Shrader also bailed out early a lot, or went east west instead of stepping up in the pocket, and sometimes didn't throw it because he liked guys to be wide open.

Bees showed a few times from PFF that our OLine gave X number of seconds of protection and if I recall correctly it wasn't too far jacked from the average. I'd like to see that number again.

All this team ever needed to do was improve the line play and the team would've taken off. We'll have 7 or 8 kids a year older with new schemes, new teaching voice, new technique, new fundamentals, new WRs and new patterns. McCord is either going to be Nassib or Andrew Robinson. Good thing our schedule doesn't really feature scary defenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom