Class of 2021 - QB Kyle McCord (NJ) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/17/23) | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 QB Kyle McCord (NJ) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/17/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Repelling who?
Everyone who wants to, unless they want to use an elevator.
1000002867.jpg

I think we can’t say what would McCord look like here while Fran is still building that out. It’s probably right to temper expectations around OL. No one has a Marvin Harrison Jr on their roster next year, but our WR will be much improved. We were a .500 team with our current OL.

This team will look wildly different next year and I would bet McCord and the upgraded talent will make a huge difference - even if he isn’t as good as he was with the tools at Ohio St.
I think our fans are still shell shocked from the Devito years and the sacks he took. I am confident saying McCord will be better than Devito.

Why is that? Despite being successful with the Giants Devito still takes a lot of sacks. 28 in 4 starts. So maybe our problem wasn't really the line and instead the result of a QB who failed to pull the trigger when pressured.

Assuming the money is in the ballpark, there’s a lot to sell to McCord (or any QB) all of a sudden.

-brand new HC that has experienced the absolute highs for college football
-OC from the NFL with power 5 playcalling experience/success
-seems likely to be returning an all-conference or better receiver
-a lot of WR talent coming in from the portal ready to prove themselves
-returning all-conference RB that is also a good receiver
-do it all talented TE returning
-some OL pieces (this is the concern)
-softer schedule with a lot of home games
-indoor home field

A lot of positives to help him prove his NFL worth. Hope this works out for both sides.
You sold me

I think this is true. Let’s start a discussion on how good McCord really is.

I’ve watched him play. Not a lot, but a little. I think he’s serviceable. And I don’t mean that in a negative, backhanded way. I think he’s good, certainly an improvement over what we have. I’m just not sure how good he is.

It cannot be underestimated what throwing to those receivers at OSU behind a stout oline can do for a QB. How would he have looked this year had he been in our offense, for instance?

I’m not taking anything away from the kid, I truly don’t know. Again, having watched him a bit, I think he’s good. He no doubt can make throws, which is a lot more than we’ve had lately.

I guess the question is, is he a difference maker? If so, how much? If not, what does he need to be one? A dominant oline? What are our chances that we can field what he needs to make a difference?
Fair enough, and I agree w/ most of this
However, I think fans sometimes don't realize what they have, until its gone. OSU went 11-1 w/ Mccord under center- to paraphrase Adam Sandler; "That's not too shabby".
That fanbase was spoiled by the recent run of great QB's, and probably think they can just pick up another one in the portal. The loss to archival Michigan, AT Michigan, is the only blemish on his record. And that still wasn't enough.
Ok...but IMO, even with the good OL and world class WR's, someone still had to deliver the ball. Mccord is more than capable, and if we can put the right pieces around him...I think he'll blossom. Maybe not "Burrow/LSU national championship" blossom- but we should have a VERY good year, by anyone's standards.

Last edited:
What worries me about him is the baggage with his Dad... rumors that OSU staff had had enough and why they essentially told him he was out as starter/pushed him to portal, there was supposedly disqueiet in the lockeroom with him, and even that the Nebraska transfer move broke down because of his old man...

Let me be clear... I have no idea if ANY of that is true... just read bits and pieces from various sources that claim it is... Seen enough chirping on it to have concern is all... Hopefully just interwebs BS...

Here's hoping that if Fran sees any such red flags, we say thanks, but no thx. We don't need any of that, especially for a 1-year transfer that would likely cost us $1mil+ in NIL.

Trust in Fran.

LOL we’ve dealt with Devitos dad on here

I’m sure we can handle Mccords

Yeah someone posted about the defenses he played against all year this past season and how good they are. He will not see that at all next year when looking at it on the surface.
Inversely his OL and skill position players won't be as talented. Would probably end up somewhere in the middle.

Harrison was really good, but then you also look at most of the big plays and they were long slow developing ones. Makes you wonder just how much speed he has to beat high level guys.

I'd rather worry about this than worry about if a kid is talented enough.

We are talking a former top 50 overall recruit and top 5 QB that started for a factory.
Not to say he isn’t an upgrade for Syracuse, but a lot of schools seem to be staying away from him for various reasons. The Athletic cited some coaches who were not high on his capabilities. The Athletics also doesn’t have him in the top 25 available transfers (4 other QBs are listed).

Again, not to say he wouldn’t be an upgrade for Syracuse

Probably not a take. After breaking his game down from highschool and his 1 year starting at a mediocre college program where he lost a game, he's probably not very good. He can't make big time throws and played against crappy defenses this year. His stats don't stack up like some of our past QB's and honestly he was rated too low for us to take coming out of highschool. Now he's rated like a top 25 portal player...I think we can do better and go after a top 5 portal player.

And the biggest issue is his helicopter dad. Hard pass!

Not to say he isn’t an upgrade for Syracuse, but a lot of schools seem to be staying away from him for various reasons. The Athletic cited some coaches who were not high on his capabilities. The Athletics also doesn’t have him in the top 25 available transfers (4 other QBs are listed).

depends on where u look...On3 has him ranked as 23rd.

Soldier, it’s a great day to be an Orangeman. Now grab a tray and take all you want. But eat all you take.
Your mission today is to protect the Hibachi chefs from gate crashers. See the quartermaster to draw a vuvuzela and some earplugs
Hooyah sir

These lists are stupid. Every transfer list had JJ Starling ranked ahead of Joe Girard in basketball. We have seen how that's worked out so far.

These lists are stupid. Every transfer list had JJ Starling ranked ahead of Joe Girard in basketball. We have seen how that's worked out so far.
Fair, but would more go off the coaches commentary on him. Again, not saying he isn’t a viable upgrade

What worries me about him is the baggage with his Dad... rumors that OSU staff had had enough and why they essentially told him he was out as starter/pushed him to portal, there was supposedly disqueiet in the lockeroom with him, and even that the Nebraska transfer move broke down because of his old man...

Let me be clear... I have no idea if ANY of that is true... just read bits and pieces from various sources that claim it is... Seen enough chirping on it to have concern is all... Hopefully just interwebs BS...

Here's hoping that if Fran sees any such red flags, we say thanks, but no thx. We don't need any of that, especially for a 1-year transfer that would likely cost us $1mil+ in NIL.

Trust in Fran.
He's a one year rental. If his dad is an issue, it won't be for long. Plus, I trust Coach Brown and staff to take care of any such problems.

Fair, but would more go off the coaches commentary on him. Again, not saying he isn’t a viable upgrade
We aren't getting Dillon Gabriel or Riley Leonard. This is the next best guy IMO. He's right up there with Will Howard.

Dante Moore is ranked high due to potential because frankly he was not very good this year.

The only alternatives I’ve seen suggested is Sluka or the Buffalo guy. Neither have Power 5 experience or are talented enough. This is a no brainer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors