Class of 2016 - QB Lindsey Scott Jr (LA) LSU /JUCO / Mizzou/Nicholls St/Incarnate Word | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Lindsey Scott Jr (LA) LSU /JUCO / Mizzou/Nicholls St/Incarnate Word

Kid was probably better than the QB LSU had this year, right now. Bet he plays for them.

Louie and Bouie said:
Well he wasn't that good. No real offers and all. So much for that argument.

The contention was that Babers didn't like him in our system at QB as much as other guys. This doesn't change that truth at all.

Well he wasn't that good. No real offers and all. So much for that argument.
True, but let's be real here. The big guys always swoop in at the 11th hour to round out their classes. We raid the MAC on the regular for example--If anything this is all the more reason to recruit to our traditional geographic areas of strength and leave places like LA to our betters. Putting our time & resources into long shots seldom pays off for us-

The contention was that Babers didn't like him in our system at QB as much as other guys. This doesn't change that truth at all.

Not really. Many posts since the decommit referenced his lack of P5 offers as a rationale he wasn't that good.

The staff wanted him (after whiffing on their better fits for the system) or they wouldn't have flown down there last week to secure the commitment. Unfortunately, it was to late. Slow played it and lost.

I'm over him going somewhere else. It's the board scouts that jumped on his lack of offers that need to re-think their rationale.

Louie and Bouie said:
Not really. Many posts since the decommit referenced his lack of P5 offers as a rationale he wasn't that good. The staff wanted him (after whiffing on their better fits for the system) or they wouldn't have flown down there last week to secure the commitment. Unfortunately, it was to late. Slow played it and lost. I'm over him going somewhere else. It's the board scouts that jumped on his lack of offers that need to re-think their rationale.

Any position at LSU > Maybe a shot at QB at Syracuse

True, but let's be real here. The big guys always swoop in at the 11th hour to round out their classes. We raid the MAC on the regular for example--If anything this is all the more reason to recruit to our traditional geographic areas of strength and leave places like LA to our betters. Putting our time & resources into long shots seldom pays off for us-

Like arguably our 2 of our 3 best true freshman last year??? Dungey & Clark sure seem important.

I wonder if he would have stayed with us if we would have been there from the 1st Babers took over and if HCDB made a in home at the same time and called him once a week?

I wonder if he would have stayed with us if we would have been there from the 1st Babers took over and if HCDB made a in home at the same time and called him once a week?
Probably not... the siren song of the big, home state, dream school is always too much for any mortal to deny.

Not really. Many posts since the decommit referenced his lack of P5 offers as a rationale he wasn't that good.

The staff wanted him (after whiffing on their better fits for the system) or they wouldn't have flown down there last week to secure the commitment. Unfortunately, it was to late. Slow played it and lost.

I'm over him going somewhere else. It's the board scouts that jumped on his lack of offers that need to re-think their rationale.
Are you certain, for a fact, that he decommitted from SU because we "slow played it"?

Is he "that good"? Maybe. If so, it sure took LSU a long time to realize it, and right in their front yard, too. And it's not like he popped up out of nowhere, given his performance and accolades last year as well.

Or maybe they are trying to catch lightning in a bottle with him, as were we (I suspect), and maybe as others might now.

Questions about his ability to play QB at a P5 level were objectively rational until the last few days. Even now, reading the tea leaves, questions remain.

Are you certain, for a fact, that he decommitted from SU because we "slow played it"?

Is he "that good"? Maybe. If so, it sure took LSU a long time to realize it, and right in their front yard, too. And it's not like he popped up out of nowhere, given his performance and accolades last year as well.

Or maybe they are trying to catch lightning in a bottle with him, as were we (I suspect), and maybe as others might now.

Questions about his ability to play QB at a P5 level were objectively rational until the last few days. Even now, reading the tea leaves, questions remain.

I agree with alot of what your proposing. I just think he's a good football player and I wanted him in Orange and met lots of resistance in that his decommit was no big deal, the system, no P5 offers, etc.

Although it is late in the cycle I believe his skill set has been validated by recent events. LSU doesn't hand out scholarships like we do. They are a Top 8 P5 powerhouse. Imo, they don't take as many chances as we might. They could have gone alot of different directions with it and gave him the offer. That means something.

As far as how it turns out, what position he plays, what type of player he becomes, it's all a guess. He may fade away. That is yet to be determined.

I wanted him at Syracuse because I thought he would make us a better football team. That's not happening. Onto the next guy.

I'll never stop supporting the team over possible recruiting gaffes. Just like to discuss it from time to time

I agree with alot of what your proposing. I just think he's a good football player and I wanted him in Orange and met lots of resistance in that his decommit was no big deal, the system, no P5 offers, etc.

Although it is late in the cycle I believe his skill set has been validated by recent events. LSU doesn't hand out scholarships like we do. They are a Top 8 P5 powerhouse. Imo, they don't take as many chances as we might. They could have gone alot of different directions with it and gave him the offer. That means something.

As far as how it turns out, what position he plays, what type of player he becomes, it's all a guess. He may fade away. That is yet to be determined.

I wanted him at Syracuse because I thought he would make us a better football team. That's not happening. Onto the next guy.

I'll never stop supporting the team over possible recruiting gaffes. Just like to discuss it from time to time

Nicely said. My feelings exactly. But you get attacked if you don't agree with the coach.

It is funny how the shoe is on the other foot for some people on here who were the first to rip Shafer & now are the first to support Baber. At least they are all in now.

Antiprodigy said:
Nicely said. My feelings exactly. But you get attacked if you don't agree with the coach. It is funny how the shoe is on the other foot for some people on here who were the first to rip Shafer & now are the first to support Baber. At least they are all in now.

All the losing definitely influenced my opinion on the job Shafer did here, lol. Babers is undefeated and got Bowling Green to a top ten offense in two years - so I'm giving him and his recruiting decisions the benefit of the doubt.

Like arguably our 2 of our 3 best true freshman last year??? Dungey & Clark sure seem important.
Yes, that's why I used the qualifier "seldom" instead of "always". Both these guys have a long way to go to make an impact on the program, but generally speaking there is a reason we don't recruit much outside of our traditional areas. Was there ever much of a doubt that a guy like Scott was gone the moment LSU offered? I have a suspicion both Dungey & Clark would have stayed home if Oregon or Alabama/Auburn had come calling. We can't compete with that.

Over an LSU offer? doubtful.

All the losing definitely influenced my opinion on the job Shafer did here, lol. Babers is undefeated and got Bowling Green to a top ten offense in two years - so I'm giving him and his recruiting decisions the benefit of the doubt.
Winner>Not Winner

Dino Babers could have offered him $100k to come here and he still would have gone to LSU if they offered.

So what good would it have done to call him every day and tell him we worship him and there is a statue of him out front of the Carrier Dome? NONE, He would have turned his back and ran all the way to LSU and left us high and dry.. Sorry but true.

That seems very rational to me. The guy with the successful track record vs the guy with the unsuccessful track record should get the benefit of the doubt. SS never lit the world on fire with his recruiting and Babers has a proven offensive system he's been running for years. Deferring to Babers judgement only makes sense, he's earned it.