Class of 2016 - QB Lindsey Scott Jr (LA) LSU /JUCO / Mizzou/Nicholls St/Incarnate Word | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Lindsey Scott Jr (LA) LSU /JUCO / Mizzou/Nicholls St/Incarnate Word

Looks like the last 3 QB's before Scott that won the Gatorade POY in Louisiana were:

2015 - Deshawn Capers-Smith (CB at Texas A&M - played sparingly as true frosh)
2009 - Dez Duron (QB at Yale, never took a varsity snap)
2008 - Jordan Jefferson (Former LSU QB)

Jefferson was the last one to actually play a varsity snap at the position in college.

Best QB by recruiting year in Louisiana
2011 - Dak Prescott - He was elite (Mississippi State)
2012 - D'Shaie Lindor - UL Lafayette
2013 - Damien Williams - Miss State
2014 - Brandon Harris - LSU
2015 - Jason Pellerin - Ole Miss
2016 - Cole Kelley - Arkansas

Just passing along that information. It is extremely hard for an elite talent to slip through all of Louisiana without an offer from a SEC school.

My opinion on Scott is that he is the Zach Allen of this coaching change. Wish him the best, but people on this board are greatly overvaluing what his production can be at the D-1 level at the Quarterback position. While he is an athlete with value, is he really a better RB then some of the true RB's we are recruiting?

He may prove me wrong. I hope he does and has a very successful career, but its not like he is a diamond in the rough, which I think Dungey was in a sense. Scott played at a big school and won a state championship/POY in a heavily recruited football state.

Very reasonable take on the situation. Great athlete who's a tweener at the next level and not one that was going to play QB in this offense. In the right system I think he'll do well but it isn't this one.

Lindsey is just the latest in a long line of QB hopefuls that never made it to the Hill. Some took snaps elsewhere (Joe Dailey) while others never made it into a D-1 school or were moved to a different position (Zach Wilson, WR & H).

It isn't limited to QBs, either. Remember just a few short months ago of the commitment of a future #44?

They're really not Orange until they enroll. If they don't, then wish 'em the best and move on. This happens everywhere in college football (just look at this week's flips), every year.

Just focus on the student athletes that enroll. It's OK to wonder what-if from time to time, just don't dwell on it... It doesn't do any good.

Last edited:
Lindsey is just the latest in a long line of QB hopefuls that never made it to the Hill. Some took snaps elsewhere (Joe Dailey) while others never made it into a D-1 school or were moved to a different position (Zach Wilson, WR & H).

It isn't limited to QBs, either. Remember just a few short months ago of the commitment of a future #44?

They're really not Orange until they enroll. If they don't, then wish 'em the best and move on. This happens everywhere in college football (just look at this week's flips), every year.

Just focus on the student athletes that enroll. It's OK to wonder what-if from time to time, just don't dwell on it... It doesn't do any good.
Stop with the "making so much sense" thingy...its not welcome in these here parts!!! ;)

I have been reading this thread and the arguments back and forth, but to me the most telling thing is that Scott only had 2 P5 offers! It's amazing to me that a lot of the same people who judge other recruits' worth by comparing offers are suddenly recruiting gurus when it comes to this case. When two mid, if you are being generous, or low level P5 schools are the only ones offering a kid there must be a reason. You can say what you want about us and Rutgers being the only schools willing to let him play QB, but that wouldn't stop other schools from offering him a scholarship as an athlete if they thought he was talented enough. Based on what I have read without ever meeting him, Scott seems like a great kid, but his future in as a successful college football player is anything but clear.

I am not going to even begin to try to predict how this kid is going to turn out at the college level. He looked very good in his highlight films, but it's tough to get much from it without knowing the competition level he is competing against. Some will say he played in the biggest classification in LA as evidence that the competition was good. This may be true. However, when I was coaching an all-star game quite a few years back we watched film on the opposing players. There was a running back who looked amazing and was playing against some of the largest schools in the state. Based on his highlight film he looked 10x better than one of the other running backs on playing in the game. The other running back was a kid by the name of Knowshon Moreno, who had a little bit of success as a football player.

Why is this thread still active? Every possibly opinion has been shared. The kid is no longer relevant to SU. For crying out loud, let's move on.
I agree...turning out like the RW thread. Think it needs to be locked.

I agree...turning out like the RW thread. Think it needs to be locked.

Why is this thread still active? Every possibly opinion has been shared. The kid is no longer relevant to SU. For crying out loud, let's move on.

We lock things because discussions become inappropriate not because we have moved on from a recruit.

I have been reading this thread and the arguments back and forth, but to me the most telling thing is that Scott only had 2 P5 offers! It's amazing to me that a lot of the same people who judge other recruits' worth by comparing offers are suddenly recruiting gurus when it comes to this case. When two mid, if you are being generous, or low level P5 schools are the only ones offering a kid there must be a reason. You can say what you want about us and Rutgers being the only schools willing to let him play QB, but that wouldn't stop other schools from offering him a scholarship as an athlete if they thought he was talented enough. Based on what I have read without ever meeting him, Scott seems like a great kid, but his future in as a successful college football player is anything but clear.

I am not going to even begin to try to predict how this kid is going to turn out at the college level. He looked very good in his highlight films, but it's tough to get much from it without knowing the competition level he is competing against. Some will say he played in the biggest classification in LA as evidence that the competition was good. This may be true. However, when I was coaching an all-star game quite a few years back we watched film on the opposing players. There was a running back who looked amazing and was playing against some of the largest schools in the state. Based on his highlight film he looked 10x better than one of the other running backs on playing in the game. The other running back was a kid by the name of Knowshon Moreno, who had a little bit of success as a football player.
Knowshon Moreno the RB recruit from NJ?? We should recruit that state.

Well then no more hand wringing, because as soon as they offered we would have lost him anyways.
Well that's one way of looking at it.

Yep, now you can close it. We shall have our answer just how good he is in a couple years

I still don't think we see him play QB there. It's either depth move for them or a position change.