Class of 2019 - QB Michael Johnson Jr (OR) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (5/9/24) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 QB Michael Johnson Jr (OR) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (5/9/24)

100%. The staff has done an incredible job of upgrading our talent, the one fail was not bringing in a better QB2. The U Conn kid who ended up going to K State(a much worse situation to be a backup with a younger QB1 in front of him) would have been a good add, but fingers crossed McCord stays healthy and someone steps up as his backup
I really wish Jakhari Williams could have enrolled early.

That really would have helped at least to get him accelerated, I can't imagine any scenario where he'll be ready early in the season if something goes south as a true frosh. But even with the spring he may still not have been ready.

There's nowhere to go but up at QB2 - be curious to monitor his progress.

I think the hard part here is him winning QB2 isn't really much of a barometer of anything. That's how bad our depth chart beyond McCord is.

That's how UNPROVEN our depth chart is behind McCord. No idea what Williams will bring to the table.

But agree about CDRW and Davis. I think we've seen everything we need to regarding their upside. Wil be interesting to see if a new coaching staff gives either of them a new infusion of life at QB. Otherwise, we're trying to catch lightning in a bottle with players like the former Bama / Vandy transfer, Johnson, etc.

With all due respect to Johnson, here’s to hoping we never have to see him play.
Kid was highly recruited out of HS if his shoulder is good to go we got a steal
That’s 5 years ago at this point. Even before his shoulder injury he couldn’t cut it. This was my same stance with CDRW and Davis. They are what they are at some point. Not serviceable college QB’s.

With all due respect to Johnson, here’s to hoping we never have to see him play.

That’s 5 years ago at this point. Even before his shoulder injury he couldn’t cut it. This was my same stance with CDRW and Davis. They are what they are at some point. Not serviceable college QB’s.
Well after this year CDRW, Davis, and Johnson will be gone. Unless McCord, Wildhack, and Brown can pull another year from NCAA for McCord he will be gone too.

Our QB room next year will be extremely inexperienced.

Hope the collectives have the bankroll to land a high end portal this off-season.

Especially with next year's schedule and opening against Tennessee on prime time National TV

Well after this year CDRW, Davis, and Johnson will be gone. Unless McCord, Wildhack, and Brown can pull another year from NCAA for McCord he will be gone too.

Hope the collectives have the bankroll to land a high end portal this off-season.

Especially with next year's schedule and opening against Tennessee on prime time National TV
Well at least we know there will be plenty of options. If we can put together a good year (9 wins min.) we should be able to attract a high end QB, especially with an exciting schedule… or one can hope.

I think Johnson actually has 2 years left - he missed an entire year due to injury.

I can't see a scenario where CDRW / Davis are back again.

It would be amazing if McCord wants to go for another year and they're able to petition for that. But as it stands right now I think we'd have Johnson (SR) / Williams (RF?) / Walk-ons.

I really wish Jakhari Williams could have enrolled early.

That really would have helped at least to get him accelerated, I can't imagine any scenario where he'll be ready early in the season if something goes south as a true frosh. But even with the spring he may still not have been ready.
Did Dungey enroll early? I don't remember. I realize he's an exception, but some guys have 'it'. Maybe Williams is one of those guys. Hopefully, we don't have to find out.

Did Dungey enroll early? I don't remember. I realize he's an exception, but some guys have 'it'. Maybe Williams is one of those guys. Hopefully, we don't have to find out.
I don't believe Dungey did - if Williams comes physically ready from day 1 like Dungey was then it's definitely possible.

I don't believe Dungey did - if Williams comes physically ready from day 1 like Dungey was then it's definitely possible.

You're right -- he didn't, he only had fall camp to get prepped. Which made it even more amazing that Eric was capable of taking over when the incumbent returning starter got thrown out of an early game, and then got injured and missed the entire season.

Johnson’s a nice emergency #2. Reminds me of that NC State QB that won them a few games. We’re drastically changing our game plan if something happens to McCord but Johnson can be a veteran run first shrink the playbook guy without going full wildcat. Jakhari for the future. See if McCord can get that year back. If not buy the best guy next portal to compete with Jakhari.

I want McCord on the bench if we are up big in the second half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom