QB Running | Syracusefan.com

QB Running

FloridaFan

2020 Cali Award Winner, Aka FloridaHam
Ive been thinking about why we havent seen devito running even though we all know he can. Could it be the Coaches didnt want him to go down in the early games and sink the season? I imagine we see alot more short passing and QB runs against WMU and HC

Ive been thinking about why we havent seen devito running even though we all know he can. Could it be the Coaches didnt want him to go down in the early games and sink the season? I imagine we see alot more short passing and QB runs against WMU and HC

Well we saw what happened to Dungey. You rely on your QB to break the chains, you’re gambling his well being and the team’s success.

Everyone remembers Dungey for 2018, and I don’t blame them.

2016-2017 and 2017-2018 Dungey was forced to play hero ball to keep our team in games and his body paid for it.

The fact he survived Nc state, miami and fsu on the road was incredible.

I don’t want Tommy to need to run like Eric did.

So QBs absolutely run in Babers offense. In 2015 Matt J ran 113 times. In 2014 the qb ran 73 times. Less that year as it looks like the backup took the majority of snaps. Dungy clearly was intentionally given run plays.
I am not saying TD should be running like ED but we absolutely should be seeing some called run plays for TD.
I would also consider rolling him out of the pocket (I am using that term loosely right now since it was rare a pocket has existed) on planned rollouts to try and drive some better upfield opportunities. Yes I have seen the interceptions but those were broken forced out of the pocket plays were the receivers were not running routes that side.

He has wide open reads and barely looks to go and I think it’s coaches choice. He could easily run 10 yards at least sometimes and I’m not saying he becomes Dungey but it will open up everything else a bit.

He has wide open reads and barely looks to go and I think it’s coaches choice. He could easily run 10 yards at least sometimes and I’m not saying he becomes Dungey but it will open up everything else a bit.

You can’t NOT run on occasion in the RPO / Read Option O -
or the D will always play the RB, which takes away any element of surprise, and you end up playing 11 on 10, with the QB spectating.

If Fat Pirate can run 9-10x a game and live to tell the tale, then Tommy can certainly run a few keepers and bootlegs too.

How many hits did he take vs Clemson? Had to be close to 15. Every other play he got drilled. Hes not that big I don't think you can add another 5-10 hits per game without him picking up a concussion or hurting his throwing shoulder.

But now we are past Clemson I think I'd give him the green light to tuck it a little more and maybe work in a designed run or two.

Only 5 bucks on this including fees.

Please everyone I BEG you do not give stubhub/ticketmaster pink dots/vivid seats your money the fees they charge are insane. If your card gets hit for 100 bucks the seller only sees 60 of it. Please don't support those extortion rackets. Tickpick.com only charges 10% total to the seller.

You can’t NOT run on occasion in the RPO / Read Option O -
or the D will always play the RB, which takes away any element of surprise, and you end up playing 11 on 10, with the QB spectating.

If Fat Pirate can run 9-10x a game and live to tell the tale, then Tommy can certainly run a few keepers and bootlegs too.
Rewatch his reads. Normally de stays and slowly slides towards run. Clemson’s de was crashing hard not even looking at Td. Also maybe we call it a rpo but when was the last time Td threw out of that also. Last time I remember was Ed doing it last year throw to Harris for a touchdown. Other than that it’s a runplay. Trust me I wish it was pure rpo cause it’s the hardest play to defend since the first read is de on wether he slides or stays. If he meshes which is play both run and qb run u have pass option but we don’t throw the ball inside hashes anymore so I am at a loss. at liberty game Td could walked 20 yds but I don’t think coaches want him running at all which makes this offense easy to defend.

Clemson doesn't seem to have an issue sending Trevor Lawrence, the future #1 QB draft pick, on designed QB runs and RPO's.

But we are afraid to call runs for Tommy, makes no sense.

Maybe there are RPO's called and he just never pulls the ball. Which pretty much telegraphs everything and gets your RB killed at the line of scrimmage in this offense.

Clemson doesn't seem to have an issue sending Trevor Lawrence, the future #1 QB draft pick, on designed QB runs and RPO's.

But we are afraid to call runs for Tommy, makes no sense.

Maybe there are RPO's called and he just never pulls the ball. Which pretty much telegraphs everything and gets your RB killed at the line of scrimmage in this offense.
We did call a run during that terrible serious at the 2 yard line, he pulled the ball only one time on the RPO and that was with 3 guys back in the backfield.
You also have to remember the defense we played against, loaded with NFL "ready" talent and they can easily pick up QB runs and with the dumpster fire of an oline I'm sure the staff made the choice to not run him.

I don’t buy the coaches telling him not to run one bit. Makes no sense at all. Game is going too fast for him.

Comparing to eric is silly. Bigger frame on Eric (unsure of what the height and weight differences are) and he willingly welcomed contact. It’s who he was for better or for worse. Many of his injuries weren’t even related to hard LEGAL hits. There is a way to be mobile but also get down without taking much contact. Russell Wilson is good at this.

I don’t buy the coaches telling him not to run one bit. Makes no sense at all. Game is going too fast for him.
Name one QB that would handle the insane pressure he got Saturday? Can't do much when you have about a second before the flood gate opens.
Game was moving just fine for him against UNC and FSU last year and he will be fine going forward.

Name one QB that would handle the insane pressure he got Saturday? Can't do much when you have about a second before the flood gate opens.
Game was moving just fine for him against UNC and FSU last year and he will be fine going forward.

I get that -- our offensive line hasn't been great. But there have been a lot of plays that have been there that are rushed and decision making has been poor.

Agreed, but does he get the same pressure if he's a run threat occassionally?

I get that -- our offensive line hasn't been great. But there have been a lot of plays that have been there that are rushed and decision making has been poor.
8 sacks and 7 QB hurries (which I think is light) will tend to speed up your clock and make you rush.
I believe Tommy will have a solid game this week and going forward.

8 sacks and 7 QB hurries (which I think is light) will tend to speed up your clock and make you rush.
I believe Tommy will have a solid game this week and going forward.

Hope you're right. Certainly not rooting against the kid. Just somewhat disappointed by what I've seen over the last three weeks. Expectations may have been a little out of reach.

it should be like nassib's senior year. run when they give you 6 yards, just keep them honest. i assume that's what they did with matt johnson who ran a 4.4 twenty yard dash

This took me a second.
During which Fat Pirate would have only covered about 4-5 yards at top speed. :p
Nicely done.

Well we saw what happened to Dungey. You rely on your QB to break the chains, you’re gambling his well being and the team’s success.

Everyone remembers Dungey for 2018, and I don’t blame them.

2016-2017 and 2017-2018 Dungey was forced to play hero ball to keep our team in games and his body paid for it.

The fact he survived Nc state, miami and fsu on the road was incredible.

I don’t want Tommy to need to run like Eric did.
A QB can run without running like Dungey. Not every QB tries to krav maga defenses into submission. TD has shown that he knows how to slide. I just want him to take what the defense gives him. If that's 4 yards and a slide to stay on schedule, cool.

We did call a run during that terrible serious at the 2 yard line, he pulled the ball only one time on the RPO and that was with 3 guys back in the backfield.
You also have to remember the defense we played against, loaded with NFL "ready" talent and they can easily pick up QB runs and with the dumpster fire of an oline I'm sure the staff made the choice to not run him.
Scarier thing is that I think 5 of their front 7 will be with them another 2 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom