QB Tommy Devito is returning | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

QB Tommy Devito is returning

Not nearly as many short opportunities for him... Our TE's (typical short option) were phased out of the game. Possibly our strongest receiving group was given 1/3 the chances as last year. (Smh)

Plenty of blame pie to go around. Serve it as you will.
Tommy definitely didn’t get the same play calling unfortunately. I feel Ike Gilbert might want to go back and watch when Tommy would come in for Dungey and fire darts on those WR screens.

Tommy should win. Play calling didn't give him near the same opportunity they gave the backups. (Uggh) Just because he can drop a dime at 20 yards down the field, doesn't mean you should call that play so often.

My frustration with no TE usage will likely continue, but Gilbert did start developing a short game as the season progressed. Fix the line, and better things should follow.
TD doesn’t look for the short pass. It seemed like he always wants to go deep which takes time. That results in more sacks. He also does not look for open receiver when first option breaks down or tries to force it to taj. He has a strong arm but always seemed to throw bullets when his first read was short.

Do we think there is any chance the play calling on offense switched from Babers to Gilbert or Gilbert to Babers at the end of the season? Because the last few games were a definite change.

I would assume it was the more latter because the final two games of the season and especially against ND we played like the 2017/2018 team. It felt like Orange is the new fast was back.

Perhaps Gilbert is as awful as all of his previous teams have stated

Do we think there is any chance the play calling on offense switched from Babers to Gilbert or Gilbert to Babers at the end of the season? Because the last few games were a definite change.

I would assume it was the more latter because the final two games of the season and especially against ND we played like the 2017/2018 team. It felt like Orange is the new fast was back.

Good question. All I know is if Tommy comes out next year and just starts ripping deep balls down the right sideline on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down again, I’m jumping on to the field and squaring up with Dino.

There might have been a change in play calling or approach but also, the slow start had a lot to do with not being able to install the whole offense. Its hard to get a good feel for what we can do and what we do well when the line is in the condition it was in and we were flip floping different QB's into the line up. Play calling looks a lot better when you are able to execute and run the ball the way we did vs ND.

TD doesn’t look for the short pass. It seemed like he always wants to go deep which takes time. That results in more sacks. He also does not look for open receiver when first option breaks down or tries to force it to taj. He has a strong arm but always seemed to throw bullets when his first read was short.
So you're saying that can be fixed... ;-)

All I can say is as a 5th year senior, with that arm, you really need to have a solid passing game. We should be able to kill teams with the short passing game, like we did back with Erv Phillips(a converted RB), and then hit them deep when it’s set up.

If we are who we say we are, the offense should be highly functional next year. No excuses.

All I can say is as a 5th year senior, with that arm, you really need to have a solid passing game. We should be able to kill teams with the short passing game, like we did back with Erv Phillips(a converted RB), and then hit them deep when it’s set up.

If we are who we say we are, the offense should be highly functional next year. No excuses.

i think Queeley can fill that Ish 2016 role. I think Taj can fill that Erv 2016 role. But we have a gigantic hole with the AET role. we really really really need a big bodied transfer.

In 2019, the line was getting killed with the same blitzs, over and over. While some used Alexander as a scapegoat? It looked like a lack of preparation, to me. It took them about 8 games to figure it out, for something that should be a given.

Devito locked on to his best receiver, Trishton. Understandable, when under duress, but we were all calling for more short game, too.

I didn't see Tommy getting much help in the short game this year. VERY happy with its use at the end of the year. If we improve both the line, and play calling? We could have a decent year. If that doesn't change? More of the same.

Yup. we have the 2 and the 3 that can be good enough and i think we have 2-3 options to back those up.. But we dont have a #1 with size/speed. the teams that have hurt us have had 1-2 of those guys. But I also think if the oline comes together just a bit then we keep the QB on his feet ND showed you can move the ball without the true #1 and maybe Hendrix/Barron/Alford or step up and be the outside #! with at least the size/phyiscal guy that ISH was.

And for all the issues we still dropped 5-7 TD passes in key spots of games..

Yup. we have the 2 and the 3 that can be good enough and i think we have 2-3 options to back those up.. But we dont have a #1 with size/speed. the teams that have hurt us have had 1-2 of those guys. But I also think if the oline comes together just a bit then we keep the QB on his feet ND showed you can move the ball without the true #1 and maybe Hendrix/Barron/Alford or step up and be the outside #! with at least the size/phyiscal guy that ISH was.

And for all the issues we still dropped 5-7 TD passes in key spots of games..
Did Hendrix get banged up again? A lack of bodies put Barron on defense. I hope that's a sign of his athleticism.

Dungey never played behind the 2019 or 2020 OL. Culpepper got sacked less but was a TO machine. Morgan was sacked a lot and is out due to a blindside hit.

I do think TD deserves some blame and needs to play better when things get dicey. But it’s on the whole offense, WR too. RB who whiff on blocks don’t help either.

All that needs to be solved. But TD has been the best QB on the roster the last two seasons.
That is about as faint praise as one can give. The QB play has been bad.

He was hired to take heat off Babers. Dino's offense doesn't work in ACC. DC's figured it out fast. He is supposedly a passing game guru. Worst offense in ACC. Why?

Did Hendrix get banged up again? A lack of bodies put Barron on defense. I hope that's a sign of his athleticism.
yeah Hendrix got dinged up.. Barron got moved but no idea if its a full time or short term thing.. Alford was starting to see the field as the yr ended.

He was hired to take heat off Babers. Dino's offense doesn't work in ACC. DC's figured it out fast. He is supposedly a passing game guru. Worst offense in ACC. Why?
you might as well ask about 7-8 other teams in the ACC as well. i dont think the offense was figured out as much as we just didnt have the horses in the right spot to compete. We didnt even run 75% of the offense this year with all the issues.

There's alot of reasons why it was the worse but to say the offense doesnt work in the acc is false. He's had success with this offense already. He's had all american Wr's. He's had a RB rush for 800 yards two years in a row. Development, execution and culture effects any scheme.

you might as well ask about 7-8 other teams in the ACC as well. i dont think the offense was figured out as much as we just didnt have the horses in the right spot to compete. We didnt even run 75% of the offense this year with all the issues.
Babers offense is not complicated. 2018 was due to Dungey more than any factor.

UNC and ND's scheme is as basic as it comes.

Would not say DC's figured out the offense. Would say the biggest advantage this offense offers (tempo) has gradually become easier to prepare for since everyone runs some sort of tempo offensively nowadays.

This offense, like every other offense run since the history of time, needs better than poor OL play to succeed.

Would not say DC's figured out the offense. Would say the biggest advantage this offense offers (tempo) has gradually become easier to prepare for since everyone runs some sort of tempo offensively nowadays.

This offense, like every other offense run since the history of time, needs better than poor OL play to succeed.
Good point.

Oline play drives every offense since the dawn of football.. look at the pro teams , when they lose the oline, dynamic players start to flounder unless you are Barry Sanders.

If you can make an AVG oline the scheme does things.. And tempo has not been figured out, but bad play and tempo dont mix. Tempo in the passing game is one thing, tempo when you have a full set of play calls is hard to deal with. Tempo when you cant run, is not a hard thing to stop since you dont need to commit extra guys.. Shoot 4 in the box has been stopping our running game.. No wonder passing becomes so hard.

Oline play drives every offense since the dawn of football.. look at the pro teams , when they lose the oline, dynamic players start to flounder unless you are Barry Sanders.

If you can make an AVG oline the scheme does things.. And tempo has not been figured out, but bad play and tempo dont mix. Tempo in the passing game is one thing, tempo when you have a full set of play calls is hard to deal with. Tempo when you cant run, is not a hard thing to stop since you dont need to commit extra guys.. Shoot 4 in the box has been stopping our running game.. No wonder passing becomes so hard.
Good post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom