Class of 2021 - QB Ty Keyes (MS) Portal from Southern Miss to East Mississippi JUCO | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 QB Ty Keyes (MS) Portal from Southern Miss to East Mississippi JUCO

He played in 3 games this year and got hurt in all of them. The hand injury in October knocked him out for the year.

In his high school days at Taylorsville High School, he threw for 14,525 yards and 155 touchdowns. Keyes was an ESPN Top 300 player recruited out of high school in 2021. ESPN ranked him as the No. 7 dual-threat QB in the country and a four-star recruit.

If he comes, we will have 2 QBs from Mississippi and another who transferred from that state.
I can hear it now, Syracuse University, the Mississippi of the North. ;)

He led his class 2A HS team to 3 state championships. 2A is pretty low but HS football in Mississippi is different than most states.

You have to be concerned about his injury history but as far as I can see he was fine in HS.

I agree with Blue he is the hoped for replacement for Sellers. No way we would offer him unless we lost LaNorris.

I think the expectation in this day and age is that someone is going to get disenchanted and lose at QB at the end of every spring. You have to stock up here in order to have some depth for the regular season. QB is a key position for our offense. We are going to have injuries and need quality depth.

Good move to address the loss quickly. Let's hope we get this guy. His skill set and the SU offense are made for each other.

Hard not to think of Kentarious Womack when I think of lower level HS ball in Mississippi. His HS film was freakish. I thought for sure he'd be like Kevin Johnson in our program. Boy was I wrong.

I think it'd be great to bring in Keyes though. The more athletic QBs in the QB room the better.

Hard not to think of Kentarious Womack when I think of lower level HS ball in Mississippi. His HS film was freakish. I thought for sure he'd be like Kevin Johnson in our program. Boy was I wrong.

I think it'd be great to bring in Keyes though. The more athletic QBs in the QB room the better.

Yeah, difference is this guy has played snaps at QB at the college level already and has done some things in that playing time.

2021 Game Logs​

RkDateSchoolOpponentCmpAttPctYdsTDIntRateAttYdsAvgTD
PassingRushing
12021-09-11Southern MississippiGrambling StateW41136.45010104.58567.00
22021-09-18Southern MississippiTroyL162759.31570293.319-45-2.40
32021-09-25Southern Mississippi@AlabamaL112445.813121110.912413.40
42021-10-02Southern Mississippi@RiceL2366.7170147.6133.00
4 Games336550.83553499.640551.40

2022 Game Logs​

RkDateSchoolOpponentCmpAttPctYdsTDIntRateAttYdsAvgTDSoloAstTotLossSk
PassingRushingTackles
12022-09-03Southern MississippiLibertyL4850.0890293.57273.901010.00.0
22022-09-17Southern MississippiNorthwestern StateW6966.719230355.95295.810000.00.0
32022-09-24Southern Mississippi@TulaneW00000144.000000.00.0
3 Games101758.828132232.413604.611010.00.0

In 2017, a ninth-grade quarterback from Taylorsville named Ty Keyes took MHSAA football by storm — and he’s never looked back.
As a freshman who was still getting used to his new size after a growth spurt, Keyes passed for 4,500 yards and 45 touchdowns as he led the Tartars to a 15-1 record and a Class 2A state championship. His performance in the title game at Ole Miss that year prompted longtime Mississippi sports columnist Rick Cleveland to write that Keyes reminded him of a young Steve McNair during his days at Mount Olive.
The exceptional athletic abilities he displayed at a young age led many to believe more great things were soon to come, and Keyes did not disappoint.

Now a senior, Keyes is a three-time recipient of the Mr. Football award, a winner of Gatorade’s Mississippi Player of the Year award, a four-star recruit, a four-time South State champion and a two-time state champion.
Saturday afternoon at 3 at Veterans Memorial Stadium in Jackson, Keyes will take the field for his final game with the Tartars for a chance to become the first Taylorsville quarterback to graduate with three state championship rings.
The only other Tartars’ quarterback to graduate with two rings is Keyes’ head coach Mitch Evans, who led the team to consecutive titles in 1994-95. Evans said the opportunity to work with Keyes as the leader of his team for the past four years has been nothing short of remarkable.

“He’s a really special player,” Evans said. “We’ve been really fortunate to have him over here for the last four years, not just as a player but as a student as a leader in the community, as well as in our school. He’s just a great kid all the way around.”
Though the extent of his success came as a surprise to some, Keyes said the confidence instilled in him at a young age by his late grandmother Bobbie Sullivan led him to expect great things of himself.
“Before my grandma passed, she told me I was going to be the QB, so that stuck with me forever,” Keyes said. “I never knew I was going to have this much success at quarterback, but through the process, I started gaining confidence and telling myself I could be pretty good at this position. When I started playing quarterback, I wanted to be one of the best to ever come through Taylorsville.”

One would be safe to say that Keyes achieved his goal. The argument could even be made that Keyes has been one of the best quarterbacks in MHSAA history. He ranks first all-time in career total yards (17,886), second in career passing yards (14,338) and second in career touchdown passes (152).
Keyes is currently committed to play college football at Tulane University in 2021, but as Saturday approaches, his sights are set only on the 2020 vision of beating the Calhoun City Wildcats and bringing another golden ball back to his hometown.

Sounds a lot like Sellers in HS

In 2017, a ninth-grade quarterback from Taylorsville named Ty Keyes took MHSAA football by storm — and he’s never looked back.
As a freshman who was still getting used to his new size after a growth spurt, Keyes passed for 4,500 yards and 45 touchdowns as he led the Tartars to a 15-1 record and a Class 2A state championship. His performance in the title game at Ole Miss that year prompted longtime Mississippi sports columnist Rick Cleveland to write that Keyes reminded him of a young Steve McNair during his days at Mount Olive.
The exceptional athletic abilities he displayed at a young age led many to believe more great things were soon to come, and Keyes did not disappoint.

Now a senior, Keyes is a three-time recipient of the Mr. Football award, a winner of Gatorade’s Mississippi Player of the Year award, a four-star recruit, a four-time South State champion and a two-time state champion.
Saturday afternoon at 3 at Veterans Memorial Stadium in Jackson, Keyes will take the field for his final game with the Tartars for a chance to become the first Taylorsville quarterback to graduate with three state championship rings.
The only other Tartars’ quarterback to graduate with two rings is Keyes’ head coach Mitch Evans, who led the team to consecutive titles in 1994-95. Evans said the opportunity to work with Keyes as the leader of his team for the past four years has been nothing short of remarkable.

“He’s a really special player,” Evans said. “We’ve been really fortunate to have him over here for the last four years, not just as a player but as a student as a leader in the community, as well as in our school. He’s just a great kid all the way around.”
Though the extent of his success came as a surprise to some, Keyes said the confidence instilled in him at a young age by his late grandmother Bobbie Sullivan led him to expect great things of himself.
“Before my grandma passed, she told me I was going to be the QB, so that stuck with me forever,” Keyes said. “I never knew I was going to have this much success at quarterback, but through the process, I started gaining confidence and telling myself I could be pretty good at this position. When I started playing quarterback, I wanted to be one of the best to ever come through Taylorsville.”

One would be safe to say that Keyes achieved his goal. The argument could even be made that Keyes has been one of the best quarterbacks in MHSAA history. He ranks first all-time in career total yards (17,886), second in career passing yards (14,338) and second in career touchdown passes (152).
Keyes is currently committed to play college football at Tulane University in 2021, but as Saturday approaches, his sights are set only on the 2020 vision of beating the Calhoun City Wildcats and bringing another golden ball back to his hometown.

Sounds a lot like Sellers in HS
I couldn't absorb any of that once I saw that his team was The Tartars.

Big question is - Does our old friend Zack Arnette snatch him away with a Mississippi State offer.

This is the right way to think about recruiting this position. They can no longer afford to stack all chips on signing a HS player at the most important position when that player can so easily be poached both before and after they sign LOI.

Also saw the news report that SEC commissioner wants to do away with early signing day. This is yet another step to help the factory schools poach away talent from the rest of the league. They will not stop until the rest of college football is eradicated.

This is the right way to think about recruiting this position. They can no longer afford to stack all chips on signing a HS player at the most important position when that player can so easily be poached both before and after they sign LOI.

Also saw the news report that SEC commissioner wants to do away with early signing day. This is yet another step to help the factory schools poach away talent from the rest of the league. They will not stop until the rest of college football is eradicated.

Curious why it's another step to help factories? What's the advantage for doing away with early signing day?

There are risks for sure. Not sure we had the right staff to take advantage of Womack's talents back then. If anyone can take a raw talent dual threat QB and make him into a good P5 QB, it is Coach Beck.

Let's get a bunch of raw talent in the QB room and let the best one emerge from the competition.

HS players can't be poached after they sign their LOIs.

There are risks for sure. Not sure we had the right staff to take advantage of Womack's talents back then. If anyone can take a raw talent dual threat QB and make him into a good P5 QB, it is Coach Beck.

Let's get a bunch of raw talent in the QB room and let the best one emerge from the competition.

I never really saw Womack as a QB but I was very surprised he never made his mark at WR or even returns. Kid's HS video was electric.

Just to be clear I don't mind the risk and I love bringing in kids like this. I hope they're able to do it.

I've said this many times. This is exactly how SU should operate with regard to the QB position. The theories about replacing Sellers or player X possibly transferring are secondary factors. Adding talent should be the primary goal regardless of how much talent we think is already in the room. The position is too vital to program success to think otherwise.

Add talent to the QB room every cycle. Ideally, the philosophy should be to add players with the potential to compete for QB1 or QB2. Have an open competition every year. Play the best. Players like Morgan, who is apparently happy to be here, will stay and add depth. Players pushed down the depth chart will transfer or switch positions. The numbers will take care of themselves.

Curious why it's another step to help factories? What's the advantage for doing away with early signing day?
Because if a place like Syracuse cannot sign its best prospects early, it gives more time for a “factory school” to poach that player. Let’s say the factory school unexpectedly loses a player to the draft or transfer portal, one additional tool that school will have would be to poach a player committed but not yet signed. It’s just another tool for them to fill out their rosters. Sure the small school can do it as well but is the impact really the same when a school like Syracuse poaches a mediocre 3 star player versus an Alabama, Georgia etc. taking a high end 4 star?

HS players can't be poached after they sign their LOIs.
That’s the point. Early signing day would be removed leaving just verbally committed players to be poached up until Feb national signing day.

He was closer to KJ Jr. in our program.

TY KEYES QB TRANSFER S. MISS//// Will be visiting this coming Saturday 1/14/03
#5 6' 2" 213 DUAL THREAT **** 4.5 40, Bench Max: 245, Squat Max: 365, Shuttle: 4.31
Vertical: 35 inches, 44-2 and two state championships 2017, 2019 in four years under coach Mitch Evans.

ASSETS PER HUDL FILM:

VERY HIGH FB IQ
VERY FAST
STRONG ARM
HITS RECEIVERS IN STRIDE ON LONG ROUTES WITH HIGH TIGHT BALLS
RELEASES BALL TO RECEIVERS QUICKLY
ELUSIVE
EXC JUKE MOVES

GREAT ATHLETE

GREAT OFFER

WOULD BE A VERY NICE COMMIT SATURDAY

Taking a look at his stats he's very, very good. I think we have a significant replacement for Sellers. Mr. Everything HS QB in Miss. TY KEYES

2021 (Fr.): Played in four games and started in three before getting hurt in the Rice contest and lost for the remainder of the campaign … Subbed in initially for the injured Trey Lowe … Threw for 355 yards on 33-of-65 with three touchdowns and four interceptions … Fired a 11-yard touchdown pass in his first appearance against Grambling State (9/11) … First start came against Troy in which he threw for a season-best 157 yards on 16-of-27 with two interceptions … Connected for a pair of touchdown passes at Alabama, hitting Chandler Pittman on a 14-yard strike and Demarcus Jones on a 11-yard score … Finished 11-for-24 versus the Crimson Tide for 131 yards … Was two for three with an interception at Rice (10/2) for 17 yards after leaving the game with an injury on the game’s first drive.

High School: ESPN Top 300 player in the class of 2021 ... ranked as the No. 7 dual-threat QB in the country by ESPN and a four-star recruit ... Rated as a three-star prospect by 247 and Rivals ... Won three MHSAA 2A Mississippi state championships ... 2019 Mississippi Gatorade Player of the Year ... 2020 Clarion Ledger Dandy Dozen selection ... Named Mr. Football by Mississippi Association of Coaches in 2018, 2019 and 2020 ... Finished his Taylorsville career with 14,525 yards passing and 155 touchdowns ... Threw for 2,546 yards, rushed for 560 yards and scored 36 times in 11 games as a senior ... Selected to the Mississippi/Alabama All-Star game.
Ty Keyes

TY KEYES​

Southern Miss Golden Eagles

FOLLOW
  • CLASS
    Freshman
  • HT/WT
    6' 2", 213 lbs
  • BIRTHPLACE
    Taylorsville, MS
  • STATUS
    Active

2022 SEASON STATS​

• YDS
  • TD
  • INT
  • QBR
  • Rice
    5-8
    Rice Owls
    Final
    Southern Miss
    7-6
    Southern Miss Golden Eagles

RTG VS. NON-CONFERENCE TEAMS​

• CMP% VS. NON-CONFERENCE TEAMS
    • PASS YARDS VS. NON-CONFERENCE TEAMS
    • TOUCHDOWNS VS. NON-CONFERENCE TEAMS

SPLITSCMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG
    Home101758.828116.53289232.4
    NonConf101758.828116.53289232.4

Splits are updated nightly

Career Stats​

See All
    STATS

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG

• SOUTHERN MISS QUARTERBACK TY KEYES ENTERS TRANSFER PORTAL​

By ANDREW ABADIE
    Wed,01/04/23-6:00PM, 1,654 Reads 16,352 Statewide
    Southern Miss quarterback Ty Keyes entered the transfer portal on Wednesday night. A source confirmed to Pine Belt Sports the initial report by 247sports.com.
    In two seasons at USM, Keyes threw for 636 yards, six touchdowns, and six interceptions and ran for 106 yards and a touchdown.
    This past year, the redshirt freshman was named the team’s starter at the end of fall camp. However, after experiencing an injury, true freshman Zach Wilcke won the starting job before Keyes went down with a season-ending wrist injury against Tulane. Keyes also experienced a season-ending ankle injury his first year after appearing in four games.
    The Taylorsville native was rated a three-star prospect out of high school after guiding the Tartars to three state championships in four years. Keyes threw for 14,565 yards and 155 touchdowns as a four-year starter and ran for 1,860 yards and 22 touchdowns.

Last edited: