Quade's line | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Quade's line

It actually does. The staff went all in on a kid that so far is marginal. That does mean something
It actually doesn't. Why keep belaboring the past? Mistakes made a year ago actually end up positive moves because these marginal players (green and Tucker) did not come to Syracuse. You can say that the staff wasted their time and resources to no avail. Okay, learn from these mistakes and do not repeat.

won as an underdog. blew it as a favorite. fact is he's spent a whole lot of coin and tosses to win that 1 big fuzzy bear. more chances than most get. by far. thanks carmelo. looks like we're gonna be a long shot again. like hail mary long. one for what ?

IMG_3682.JPG
When did he blow it as a favorite? We were an underdog against both Indiana and Kentucky. Kansas as well for that matter.

It actually doesn't. Why keep belaboring the past? Mistakes made a year ago actually end up positive moves because these marginal players (green and Tucker) did not come to Syracuse. You can say that the staff wasted their time and resources to no avail. Okay, learn from these mistakes and do not repeat.
I agree with your learn from these mistakes. That is why it matters.

I don't think any reasonable person questions or has an issue with the zone. I think some (myself included) question the zone, nothing but the zone, so help you god style that JB employs. At times, there are advantages for sure, but if it was such an incredible defense, I think others coaches would also use it 100% too & copy the 'genius' that is JB.

As we all know, what matters the most is winning, and if it was such a precious gem D, more schools/coaches would play it 100%. I don't know of any other school that plays zone 100% of the time. I think like many sports, you have to play 'situational ball.' We don't, no matter what the situation (other than desperation pressing mode) is, we stay in zone. Situational ball is critical, whether it's baseball, hoops, football, etc. If it weren't, why do football teams shift from zone, nickle, man, etc. Why in baseball, depending on inning, number of runs down/up infielder's/outfielder's play up, vs. deep, etc. Same principle in hoops...

We adjust our defense just like anyone else though. It’s not like we play the zone the same way against every opponent.

We adjust our defense just like anyone else though. It’s not like we play the zone the same way against every opponent.

I understand, but whether we play our guys up more on the top of the zone due to being torched, or not so much to defend the baseline if we are getting exposed there, trap the corners, etc., it's still, in principle, the same 'ol 2-3 zone. I think the zone has its moments, but also along with its serious deficiencies. Again, I'd like to know why no one else in college ball plays zone 100% of time if it was such an exceptional D? Well coached and disciplined teams can usually expose the zone, I think our ACC conference record over the past 4 years (in part) is a testament to that. I also think, as some others here have broken down well, the zone 100% of the time, has contributed/bled into our offense struggles for the reasons which they've noted.

Last edited:
I understand, but whether we play our guys up more on the top of the zone due to being torched, or not so much to defend the baseline if we are getting exposed there, trap the corners, etc., it's still, in principle, the same 'ol 2-3 zone. I think the zone has its moments, but also along with its serious deficiencies. Again, I'd like to know why no one else in college ball plays zone 100% of time if it was such an exceptional D? Well coached and disciplined teams can usually expose the zone, I think our ACC conference record over the past 4 years (in part) is a testament to that. I also think, as some others here have broken down well, the zone 100% of the time, has contributed/bled into our offense struggles for the reasons which they've noted.
Well coached and disciplined teams can usually expose man-t0-man defense... what's your point exactly?

One coaches opinion of JB and the zone

The genius of Jim Boeheim

Syracuse trots out the same defensive framework every night but Boston College coach Jim Christian noted the Orange defense subtly adjusts to its opponent on a night-to-night or even minute-to-minute basis.

Last year, for instance, the Eagles won the first game by 15. Syracuse won by 23 points in the Carrier Dome less than two weeks later.

"The thing that most people won't see, and I think the thing that as coaches you gain great appreciation for, is the amount of times they adjust different things during the game," Christian said. "Based on who your personnel is or what's happening in the game, I think that's the genius of Coach Boeheim. I think that's where a lot of teams that play zone aren't as good at it because they don't know how to adjust or practice the adjustments. Because they play it all the time, I think they know how to adjust in in the flow of the game how to change it, or if you play them a second time they know how to change it. ... They're very good at countering what you're doing. You better be ready. That's why he's won so many games."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom