Question about the Syracuse mentality around QB play | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Question about the Syracuse mentality around QB play

I thought Dino would be a guy who comes out passing, using all his weapons and the whole field, and use that to set up the run. Instead his approach is rather old-fashioned: come out running and use that to set up the pass. if you are going to do that with a single running back, you need the quarterback to provide a second running back or you run offense will be very limited and primitive. That's when you need a dominant line to open big holes for the one running back and to protect the quarterback as he, (hopefully) goes through his progressions.

If you are trying to run a fast paced passing offense, it is an advantage to have a tall QB who sees the field better, and can throw over the line to the open receivers in the middle of the field. .

I thought Dino would be a guy who comes out passing, using all his weapons and the whole field, and use that to set up the run. Instead his approach is rather old-fashioned: come out running and use that to set up the pass. if you are going to do that with a single running back, you need the quarterback to provide a second running back or you run offense will be very limited and primitive. That's when you need a dominant line to open big holes for the one running back and to protect the quarterback as he, (hopefully) goes through his progressions.
I think where Dinos offense is supposed to be different than a traditional offense is the spacing. With 3-4 WRs spaced wide, it's supposed to put smaller defenders on the field and remove some of them from the box. This should make reading the defense easier, give fewer guys for the oline to block, and allow RBs to get to the second level easier. If the defenders cheat toward the middle to defend the run you hit them with a pass to the outside or over the top. We have had two problems. Our oline simply has been too weak to block the guys directly in front of them and not enough of our WRs have won enough one-on-one battles to either get open or beat a defender after a short catch. On some of the screens we seem ro have have poor blocking on the outside too.

I wonder if we sometimes fail to utilize our personnel effectively too. How many times has NJ been thrown aside by a defender while trying to block on a screen? If the inside WR are going to block on screens, I'd like them to be bigger. Hendrix seemed to play well last week. I'd like to see him mixed in at inside WR on the same side of the field as Taj. He may also provide better blocking for the running game if something breaks outside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom