Question for a non-lacrosse person | Syracusefan.com

Question for a non-lacrosse person

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
Is the rotation of “lines” as much tradition as it is stamina? Seems to me that 1/3 of the team on the field is at relative rest 50% of the time, so subbing the non-midfield so often is a bit bewildering for me.
I understand the long-stick, short-stick stuff, somewhat.

The midfield needs to run lines for stamina. Our non-midfield (attack, defense) are not running lines or subbing that often. It is more of a one-for-one sub for either attack or defense versus 3 out-3 in.

Is the rotation of “lines” as much tradition as it is stamina? Seems to me that 1/3 of the team on the field is at relative rest 50% of the time, so subbing the non-midfield so often is a bit bewildering for me.
I understand the long-stick, short-stick stuff, somewhat.
Also, it's possible you were confusing the midfield with attack at times. For example, #14 Owen Seebold used to play attack before this season, but is a midfielder on the second line now. However, he inverted quite a bit. An invert is when the midfield and attack can change roles where a midfielder operates from behind the goal (where attackman usually play) with the attack moving up top (where midfielders typically operate).

Former attackman playing midfield often invert for both familiarity with dodging from behind the goal, but more importantly to take advantage of a matchup when a short-stick defender is guarding them. It is more favorable to go 1v1 against a short-stick defender behind the goal especially if you are or were used to going against a long-stick

I assume you meant question “from” a non lacrosse person. At this level, expected value decisions will trump tradition always.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom