question for old time ballplayers- | Syracusefan.com

question for old time ballplayers-

Carl

Walk On
At what age did you stop playing ball?
My mind says stop, but my heart says keep playing as long as you can.

When the younger guys say, "hey, don't try and push so hard".

Quit at 50 but slowed down at 40 after a year off with acl and meniscus tear. It was actually my orthopedist who encouraged me to return after the injury. (Did he need a new boat?)He was really supportive despite my fear at the time. So I rehabbed, returned but knew my lateral quickness had really been effected so I accepted that fact, adjusted angles etc and tried to find some ways to compensate in other ways for new physical limits.

Make sure you have yearly physicals and know your bodys' limits. Went from A league to B then C league through the years and as our team changed and I aged. I figured I'd better stop when I was carting off much younger teammates with torn achilles and knee tendons to the hospital. I figured if I went down again they might automatically cart me to assisted living rather than a hospital. ;) If it's no longer fun and either fear, pain, lack of effectiveness or frustration exceed your enjoyment - quit.

Judging from the competition in the background of your profile picture, its probably time for you to shut it down.

That's a better way of putting it Cherie. I'll just add; when there is still a lot of time left in the game and you start thinking how good a hot shower is going to feel, well--------. :(

I put off taking golf up as a recreational activity because I played hoop so much. Used to play a ton--summer / winter leagues, etc., but for me my hoops playing days dropped off precipitously in 2009 when I suffered a bad bone bruise / PCL strain. The doctor put me on 60 days of restricted activity, no running / cutting, and by then I missed playing in some of the leagues I usually do. The next spring [Memorial day weekend], I dislocated my knee cap doing yard work, and didn't play all that summer.

Sucks--I miss it. I was about 37 when the situation described above started impacting my ability to play.

My recommendation is: if you are physically able to keep going, do so--I miss not playing competitively [even just in rec leagues].

I quit playing competitively after tearing my Achilles tendon at the age of 33 but at 55 today I still play one on one and play horse with my 25 year old son at Golds gym. I still have a j (lol) but my verticle is about a foot. I used to be able to dunk anything I could hold onto in good ol' Archibold. I am sucking wind after two or three points too. But that's why I am there!

My ethos: play for as long as you can, and continue to push yourself hard.

I'd still be playing today if I hadn't been hit by a car while walking. Car was going 60; destroyed my legs. Torn ACL / PCL / LCL in one leg, frx tibia and fibia in the other.

I was still playing full court with undergrads when I was 39 (I'm a bit of a fitness nut).

(And yes, I made essentially a full recovery. Back to lifting weights, riding the bike and mowing the lawn. Can't run or jump though...)

Quit playing hoops in the late 40's. Now I hike & play pickleball about 15 years later. I am batting sciatia pain, which slows me down. Trying many things to beat the sciatia, will see how it goes...

There is a group of "old time ballplayers" who regularly play at McChesney Recreation Center at the corner of Pond and Grant in Syracuse. We meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11:00-1:00. The only requirement is that you must be at least 55. We are always looking for new participants.

The talent level varies. Some people have played college ball, most high school. Several have played in the national senior games. Half court. We usually have 8-15 players. You might be surprised how competitive people in their 60's and 70's can be when they have worked tomaintain their skills throughout the years. Orangeyes used to play with us when he was a much younger man.

The next session is on 9/04 since the floor is being refinished this week.

I was still able to play reasonably well at age 50. At about age 55, I played some 4 on 4 one day on a team with my two grown sons. I could still do a lot of things, especially making passes to my sons cutting to the hoop. However, I distinctly remember having the ball on the right wing with my back to the hoop and my man overplaying me and leaving the baseline to be taken with a spin move. My brain said, "You once knew what to do in this situation and would have been gone to the hoop in a flash." My body did not listen to my brain, and I passed the ball out to an open man. I was in reasonable shape and not hurting when we quit playing that day. When I was younger, I could have gotten up the next morning and played again. Instead, at that age it took my body (especially my knees) a month to recover. That's when I decided that I shouldn't do it anymore. The instinct is still there, and I really miss playing, but I like being able to walk around normally also. I almost had a relapse last year, however. Rosie Bouie often plays at the SUNY Brockport gym at lunchtime, and my grad students have played with and against him. I went over there with them one day, talked with Rosie, and watched. My heart said, "You can't give up the chance to play head to head against Rosie and box him out," but my brain talked me out of it. In a moment of weakness, I might still try it some day.

You'll never have to stop, as long as you can find a game against guys of your own age, shape, and/or ability.

Depends on why.

If it is because you are frustrated because your body can no longer do what it once could and/or you can no longer keep up with younger guys, you can either accept it or quit.

If it is because you are getting injured much more frequently, I will tell you what changed it for me and you can take it or leave it.

As I reached my late thirties, I began pulling so many muscles ( hammies, groins, calves, quads etc...and I'm not exaggerating), I began spending more time recovering than playing (also not an exaggeration).

Out of desperation to keep playing I tried Yoga. I now practice it religiously and I am more flexible now than I was at 18.

Ironically, I shredded my groin a little over a month ago and am currently sidelined but that was the first real injury I've had since I started doing yoga 5+ years ago whereas I was getting hurt constantly before I started practicing it.

Had I not discovered yoga, there is no doubt in my mind my days of playing hoops and soccer would be over.

I blew out my knee last year playing ball I was 36....I'm done now...maybe. (a man has to able to dream) The thing is my Fandom has gone threw the roof since then!

I am 41, and since my son was born (10 years ago), I have played very sparingly. Prior to that, I played a couple of times a week, if not more. I miss it. He is now getting to the age where I can get him out to play. The problem I have is, I have to get back in to shape. I know I will never jump as high as I used to, that damn rim looks 15 feet high now, whereas before I would just jump up and grab it without any effort. Anyway, after reading all of these posts, I am terrified.

I'm 43 and I still play as often as I can and the competition level varies depending on which run I do. I play with a couple guys who were on the 2008-2009 UVM team. Usually at least once a week and more often than not 3 times a week including the old man league over the winter. I would play every day if I could get the time and thought my body could take it.

Aside from driveway wars against my daughter, stopped playing competitively @ 37. I'd played in some fairly competitive industrial leagues to that point, with & against many former HS/college players. There was still the need for a 6'5" 265lbs space eater, even with diminishing agility. However, I had no desire to play in the age bracket leagues against other old (or older) farts.

Took up cycling for 10 years & now spend 6-8 hours a week doing cardio & weight training @ my local YMCA, making sure my doctor remains happy with my cholesterol levels.:cool:

I quit playing competitively after tearing my Achilles tendon at the age of 33 but at 55 today I still play one on one and play horse with my 25 year old son at Golds gym. I still have a j (lol) but my verticle is about a foot. I used to be able to dunk anything I could hold onto in good ol' Archibold. I am sucking wind after two or three points too. But that's why I am there!
What Golds gym are we talking about now?

im a pup by comparison but after tearing my acl at archbold while playing pickup as a soph in 04.. and since getting the other scoped i still try and play once a week .. at 29 my knees feel a lot more like 45.. having to stick to running and the gym along with golfing much more than hoops..

im a pup by comparison but after tearing my acl at archbold while playing pickup as a soph in 04.. and since getting the other scoped i still try and play once a week .. at 29 my knees feel a lot more like 45.. having to stick to running and the gym along with golfing much more than hoops..
I hear that... Golfing is my thing now too.

If you find yourself starting to think about it, it's already closer than you'll want to believe :). I stopped playing in my mid 40's. At 61 now, I still ref HS ball - 2 man, 2 games per night, JV and Varsity, 4 nights per week (tournaments on weekends) - and I'm already thinking it's probably time to hang 'em up at the end of this season. But I just bought new shoes last season ...

I'm 47 and still playing 3-4 times a week during lunch ball here at our base. We have some pretty decent competition too. Normally anywhere from 15-20 guys. Couple guys are originally from Upstate NY (Syracuse and Rochester area) so we always hooting it up when SU does well.

Like some others have said, injuries due to take a toll (hamstring, almost lost teeth a few times, dislocated pinky finger, and recently had a deep cut on same pinky finger which required 4 stitches). My wife just shakes her head when she sees me come with some kind of injury and says you will never learn, lol. I hope to keep playing into my 50's. Our age group varies from high school-college to guys in there 50's.

So keep playing till you can't play anymore that is my motto.

Used to play 3-4 times a week 20+ years ago, but multiple ACL tears, 4 right knee knee surgeries, little to no cartilage left, and no ACL either in my knee has gotten me to give up at 47. It pains me to watch others play in the Gold's gym, and now and then I go shoot around for fun. Just can't run on the knee anymore. I've thought about getting the knee replacement, just so I can play again. Anyone gone through that?