Question for the defensive coaches on the board | Syracusefan.com

Question for the defensive coaches on the board

florange44

Scout Team
I love that SU is using the heavy blitz scheme with people coming from all over on any play. However, I don't understand why in these situations we play the corners 10 yards off the line. We are blitzing to make the qb make a quick decision, yet we give him the short 5 yd pass which they turn into a 15 yd gain too often. If we are going to play the gambling blitzing style, why not tighten up on the short route? I understand that you'll get beat deep if the blitz doesn't get there quickly, but isn't that the risk/reward of the system?

Florange44

i dont think we played off all the time. several times we played tighter and got turned around. we could barely stay with them with a cushion so it was pick your poison.

I love that SU is using the heavy blitz scheme with people coming from all over on any play. However, I don't understand why in these situations we play the corners 10 yards off the line. We are blitzing to make the qb make a quick decision, yet we give him the short 5 yd pass which they turn into a 15 yd gain too often. If we are going to play the gambling blitzing style, why not tighten up on the short route? I understand that you'll get beat deep if the blitz doesn't get there quickly, but isn't that the risk/reward of the system?

Florange44

The corners have played more press man coverage this year than we have in the last 5 years. We do not have the talent to press teams like FSU, and the scheme this week appeared to be to play a soft zone and keep everything in front of them while still trying to blitz.

The corners have played more press man coverage this year than we have in the last 5 years. We do not have the talent to press teams like FSU, and the scheme this week appeared to be to play a soft zone and keep everything in front of them while still trying to blitz.

That's exactly what they did. Shafer would rather have them have to make someone miss than get beat deep over the top. Unfortunately, in this 4-3, our LB's got badly exposed in the shallow zone. There were a few times when Lynch and Davis had to pick up those stud WRs underneath. +1 for FSU every time.

I'd rather get beat deep than see 4 straight 20-yard gains every drive. At least there's a chance of an overthrow or having to make a long-ball catch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom