Question for the more veteran SU hoop fans RE: Jon Cincebox... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Question for the more veteran SU hoop fans RE: Jon Cincebox...

My 2 fav players during that era as a teen.

I started following them the year after Smith graduated, so my 2 guys from those days were Kohls, like you, and Denny DuVal. Those pre-game warm-ups were Harlem Globetrotters kind of stuff. Those were some fun days for a middle school kid who was first getting into SU hoops.

I agree that pre-Boeheim players need more respect, including this one:

Two factors to consider: before 1973-74 freshmen couldn't play with the varsity so players before that only had three years and thus aren't as high on the all-time lists as they should be. (Similarly the number of games played has gone up over the years. The 31 game regular season began in 2008-09). And in Jon Cincebox's day, shooting percentages were much lower and rebound averages were much higher. The difference between him and Rony, (who once had a 34 rebound game in the pros), is exaggerated in the numbers.

Good points. The game changed, not only in terms of quality of the opponent, but also in terms of "era bias" in the numbers.

Back in the day "Oral Roberts" was my "Vermont". Games I just do not want to remember or think about.

Oh yeah, that game killed me too. Was that at The Pit, in New Mexico?
I remember losing to Penn with Louie & Bouie and a Final Four waiting for us.
I think I remember the Clemson game, was it (or Furman?), with Tree Rollins?

It took a while to climb the mountain.
Maybe the most important win in our early (pre-Boeheim) history was beating Tennessee with Bernie & Ernie. That was a huge game for us nationally.

Same with beating Purdue with Joe Barry Carroll, back when getting your game on national TV was still a very big deal.

Not pre-JB, Matt. 1977.

Thanks, Dick.
In looking for memorable wins for Roy Danforth, the best I've got are beating a ranked St. John's early in the '74-'75 season. (Is that the Sonny Dove game? Or was that a couple years earlier, with Greg Kohls?) There was also a nice win over a 7th ranked LaSalle that season, but that's not something I remember seeing on TV.

Thanks, Dick.
In looking for memorable wins for Roy Danforth, the best I've got are beating a ranked St. John's early in the '74-'75 season. (Is that the Sonny Dove game? Or was that a couple years earlier, with Greg Kohls?) There was also a nice win over a 7th ranked LaSalle that season, but that's not something I remember seeing on TV.
We beat LaSalle and UNC in the NCAA’s in Danforth‘s last season.

Oh yeah, that game killed me too. Was that at The Pit, in New Mexico?
I remember losing to Penn with Louie & Bouie and a Final Four waiting for us.
I think I remember the Clemson game, was it (or Furman?), with Tree Rollins?

It took a while to climb the mountain.
Maybe the most important win in our early (pre-Boeheim) history was beating Tennessee with Bernie & Ernie. That was a huge game for us nationally.

Same with beating Purdue with Joe Barry Carroll, back when getting your game on national TV was still a very big deal.

We didn't play Clemson between 1960 and 2007.

We played Furman once- in 1973. They had 7-1 Fessor Leonard and 6-8 Clyde Mayes and we were still in the Roy's Runts era, (although we had a sophomore named Rudy Hackett), and got out-rebounded by 11 but managed to win, 83-82. Then we lost to Maryland but beat Penn in the third-place game of the Eastern Regional to finish 24-5.

Syracuse vs Furman Mar 10 1973

Another big early JB win was at Louisville in his fourth game, 76-75 as Cliff Warwell made a spectacular lay-up for the winning margin.

We didn't play Clemson between 1960 and 2007.

We played Furman once- in 1973. They had 7-1 Fessor Leonard and 6-8 Clyde Mayes and we were still in the Roy's Runts era, (although we had a sophomore named Rudy Hackett), and got out-rebounded by 11 but managed to win, 83-82. Then we lost to Maryland but beat Penn in the third-place game of the Eastern Regional to finish 24-5.

Syracuse vs Furman Mar 10 1973

Another big early JB win was at Louisville in his fourth game, 76-75 as Cliff Warwell made a spectacular lay-up for the winning margin.

Thanks, Steve. The Furman game is the one I was thinking of.
I think Tree Rollins did play for Clemson around that time, just never against us.

I was at the Furman game. It was played in Philly at the Palestra. A fun night!
I too was at that game on one of the first dates with my wife. It remains to this day the only NCAA men's basketball game I have attended. :(

Not pre-JB, Matt. 1977.
Another defining moment earlier that season was a road win against a top ten Louisville team. I believe it was JB's fourth game as coach. I remember listening to it on the radio, as there was no local television broadcast. A different time, for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom