quibble with rahme's article today | Syracusefan.com

quibble with rahme's article today

Millhouse

Living Legend
"SU’s sins during the slump were numerous – poor tackling, leaky pass defense, failure to contain a running quarterback, dropped passes, poor protection, inconsistent quarterback play, critical special-teams breakdowns and penalties. "

Nassib had a 116 NCAA Rating over that period. That's bottom of the barrel for a whole year. That's worse than Gary Nova's rating for the year and it's worse than inconsistent

Andrew Robinson's rating in 2007 was 126 fyi . Nassib's for the whole year was 130
"Overall, SU finished with 345 yards and 20 first downs, averaging 5.1 yards per play. Had it not stopped itself an incredible five times with turnovers there is no telling how many yards it might have gained."

5.1 yards per play is 94th in the country. Turnovers or no turnovers, 5.1 yards per play is nothing to brag about. It's actually exactly what they averaged per play for the whole year.

WOOHOO aside from turnovers, we were just as bad as we always were

"SU’s sins during the slump were numerous – poor tackling, leaky pass defense, failure to contain a running quarterback, dropped passes, poor protection, inconsistent quarterback play, critical special-teams breakdowns and penalties. "

Nassib had a 116 NCAA Rating over that period. That's bottom of the barrel for a whole year. That's worse than Gary Nova's rating for the year and it's worse than inconsistent

Andrew Robinson's rating in 2007 was 126 fyi

glad they scaled down the offense. better late than never.

Nassib is not a good qb, if he is the best we have then well that is Marrone's fault as well. Miller was suppose to be his guy, Kinder etc etc.

Tim Tebow isn't statisticallly a good QB either. Things are going well for him this year.

Tim Tebow isn't statisticallly a good QB either. Things are going well for him this year.
not sure I get your point with this one. Tebow is a huge running threat and is winning games - Nassib is not a running threat nor is he winning

Nassib's happy feet during the losing streak were horrible - the moment he would sense pressure he would panic and often duck and run right into a sack while there was still plenty of protection if he would have just kept his cool and had any kind of feel for the pocket. Almost got Bailey killed in one such situation on Saturday.

can we add a qb coach to the wish list with st coach and maybe oline coach and cant forget dline coach

Nassib is not a good qb, if he is the best we have then well that is Marrone's fault as well. Miller was suppose to be his guy, Kinder etc etc.

Miller was the one (if his shoulder healed) Kinder was a flyer..

One thing about Tebow...the kids a closer

Nassib to me is flat out jumpy. He's can't settle himself down, even when he does things like stay in the pocket and take a big hit. He has this tenseness that seems to keep him from seeing open receivers and making touch passes. Hopefully he works on that in the off season. Seems like he would benefit from a sports psychologist.

Here's what I don't get about those down on Nassib -- can you really question the overall talent level and the offensive system and not think those two factors are going to play a role in a QBs numbers?

I get the criticism of Nassib. I get that he is limited. I get that we need a better QB to accomplish bigger things. I'm not sure I quite get that people seem to believe that if he had another weapon or two at his disposal and an offense that made some sense, that he wouldn't have much better numbers.

Case in point: We all saw Geno Smith. He was awful when pressured, has questionable arm strength and is absolutely zero threat to run the ball. He just threw for nearly 4000 yards and posted a qb rating close to 150. Austin and Bailey are play-makers, the system is great. Does Nassib put those numbers up in that system? I'm not sure. Probably not, but I bet he's at least somewhere near 3,500 yards passing and a 140 qb rating.

Anyway, it just goes to my basic theory, which is that he's OK. And, unfortunately, as you point out, Marrone has yet to bring in a player who is ready to play consistently at an OK level in Nassib's place.

Nassib to me is flat out jumpy. He's can't settle himself down, even when he does things like stay in the pocket and take a big hit. He has this tenseness that seems to keep him from seeing open receivers and making touch passes. Hopefully he works on that in the off season. Seems like he would benefit from a sports psychologist.
Doug sticking with Nassib and not giving others snaps when he has been in the tank has caused some big issues. Nassib is what he is an ok QB not a game changer. I have to think Hunt will get some play next year

not sure I get your point with this one. Tebow is a huge running threat and is winning games - Nassib is not a running threat nor is he winning.

My point is that stats and formulas do not guarantee wins and losses.

I was begging Nassib all year to just tuck and run. Even if he's not Michael Vick, it's countless the number of times we could have gotten positive yards vs a sack or incomplete pass. I'm blaming part of that on his coaching to stay in the pocket vs run, but that's just my inference.

Here's what I don't get about those down on Nassib -- can you really question the overall talent level and the offensive system and not think those two factors are going to play a role in a QBs numbers?

I get the criticism of Nassib. I get that he is limited. I get that we need a better QB to accomplish bigger things. I'm not sure I quite get that people seem to believe that if he had another weapon or two at his disposal and an offense that made some sense, that he wouldn't have much better numbers.

Case in point: We all saw Geno Smith. He was awful when pressured, has questionable arm strength and is absolutely zero threat to run the ball. He just threw for nearly 4000 yards and posted a qb rating close to 150. Austin and Bailey are play-makers, the system is great. Does Nassib put those numbers up in that system? I'm not sure. Probably not, but I bet he's at least somewhere near 3,500 yards passing and a 140 qb rating.

Anyway, it just goes to my basic theory, which is that he's OK. And, unfortunately, as you point out, Marrone has yet to bring in a player who is ready to play consistently at an OK level in Nassib's place.

Even if you throw out Geno Smith's year in the air raid, just go his prior years. He is still way better than Nassib. Smith had a 144 rating last year

I'm not trying to throw Nassib under the bus completely. I just think there is very obvious room for improvement, and that's just not going to happen if he can't calm himself down in the pocket.

Even if you throw out Geno Smith's year in the air raid, just go his prior years. He is still way better than Nassib. Smith had a 144 rating last year

And WVU's system under Stewart was better as well and he had big weapons. I like Holgorsen's O better, but I'm not sure this changes the argument at all, IMO.

None of this is wrong.

We have two problems:

(1) Nassib doesn't make anyone better. He'd be fine if we had a good OL, good receivers, and a good running game. But we don't, and his accuracy/touch issues and lack of scrambling ability doesn't make any of our problem areas less of a problem.

(2) We have no one better at QB. And our skill position guys and OL don't look to be improving considerably in 2012 either.

So we're quite literally stuck.

None of this is wrong.

We have two problems:

(1) Nassib doesn't make anyone better. He'd be fine if we had a good OL, good receivers, and a good running game. But we don't, and his accuracy/touch issues and lack of scrambling ability doesn't make any of our problem areas less of a problem.

(2) We have no one better at QB. And our skill position guys and OL don't look to be improving considerably in 2012 either.

I agree with both of these things. I think people would view Nassib quite differently if he was throwing to mike williams and taj smith behind a solid OL. I dont' think we'd be gushing, but I think we'd be OK with him. I agree that we are stuck, regardless of how you view Nassib.

None of this is wrong.

We have two problems:

we need to find out if #2 is true. hunt or broyld should give it a shot.

can anyone give me a precedent for a BCS team's qb of a passing offense ranked in the 90s for 2 years straight that got a third year as the starter?

we need to find out if #2 is true. hunt or broyld should give it a shot.

can anyone give me a precedent for a BCS team's qb of a passing offense ranked in the 90s for 2 years straight that got a third year as the starter?

Both of those guys will be true frosh, right?

Well, that's will be interesting.

Both of those guys will be true frosh, right?

Well, that's will be interesting.
hunt redshirted this year. broyld will be a true frosh but not in age.

imho- nassib should have sat a few series-just so he could get a look from the sidelines-

i think by not doing that marrone not only didnt do what was best for the growth of nassib but also didnt do what was best for the programs growth-

im not saying benching nasib -just sitting out a series now and again when he looked like he was in panic mode mentaly-

Nassib has likely reached his ceiling as a QB, and what I want is for the spring for Doug to give a serious look to Kinder/Hunt. Even in the spring game, don't give Kiner 3 snaps. Play him a little more, we know what Nassib is going to bring week in and week out.

Nassib is a hard worker and REALLY wants to win. After that fumble vs Pitt he slamed his fist into the gorund numerous times and you can tell there is a real fire and passion there. IDK we will see, but I hope Doug will give him the green light to scramble more and not worry as much if he does get banged up that we have no one to fill in. You have to play a little reckless to make big plays. (watch RGIII highlights)

FWIW, Troy Nunes became a serviceable QB in his senior year.

So it's not impossible.

:)

FWIW, Troy Nunes became a serviceable QB in his senior year.

So it's not impossible.

:)
nunes went into that season as the backup. as he should have

if hunt or broyld fall on their face, i hope nassib comes off the bench and does well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom