Quick post SU-Virginia ACC Tournament thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Quick post SU-Virginia ACC Tournament thoughts

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • Very frustrated that Edwards wasn't given a chance. There's no way Huff gets 17-18 rebounds (when you count all the tap outs) with him in there. Have no clue what Dolezaj was doing for us that he needed to be in there for 40. Why does JB take out Edwards when Dolezaj is nowhere near the 3-point shooter on that shot.
  • Thought JB made a mistake not really giving Griffin a chance in this game. He is one of our best Offensive players and probably a better shotblocker and rebounder than MD. Think JB has just gotten used to benching him unless he is on fire and we could have used his offense in the second half.
  • In spite of a couple of bad shots and painful turnover or 2, Buddy was money again. Very, very impressive.
  • Bras was Enfuego in the 1st half. Thought they stuck with him too long in the 2nd.
  • Ball movement was fantastic in the 1st-mediocre in the second
  • Kudos to the guys for battling and I believe doing enough to get themselves into the NCAA Tournament.

Last edited:
I believe Jesse missed two layups and a dunk. I’m sure that freaked Boeheim out. Hopefully, he’ll get other chances.
I was impressed in the last couple of games that Jesse was looking to score when he got the ball. He flubbed up, but he wasn't afraid to try it. Must have some confidence in his offensive game.

AG was a nightmare on defensive rotations. If you go back and watch, he was involved in a bunch of late rotations that gave up WIDE OPEN 3s. He was truly a liability out there on D. And on offense he was 0-4. He had that "blank" stare again for some reason...UVA didnt get nearly as many open 3s without AG in there.

JB was on-point to leave him out of the game 100%

As to Edwards, I think the problem was the offense...and so the offense is better with Marek in there. UVA didnt really do much damage in the paint in the second half. The swatouts were annoying and painful but not sure edwards really makes much of a difference there.

UVA is perhaps the worst possible matchup in the country for SU...outside of the 1 seeds.

and UVA is a horrible matchup for AG. there are a lot of teams where edwards would make a difference but i dont think was one.

UVA forces players to make quick and accurate decisions under pressure...AG and edwards are both not the best at that poart of the game.

what hurt most is that kadary was hurt...bc JG3 also couldnt do much vs the handchecking.

It sucked watching the first half and then the slow descent into a loss.

Not quite sure why the offense stalled out...but it did coincide with a lot of the subs at the end of the first half. The ball movement was amazing the first half and i dont quite get why it couldnt continue all game. oh well.

AG was a nightmare on defensive rotations. If you go back and watch, he was involved in a bunch of late rotations that gave up WIDE OPEN 3s. He was truly a liability out there on D. And on offense he was 0-4. He had that "blank" stare again for some reason...UVA didnt get nearly as many open 3s without AG in there.

JB was on-point to leave him out of the game 100%

As to Edwards, I think the problem was the offense...and so the offense is better with Marek in there. UVA didnt really do much damage in the paint in the second half. The swatouts were annoying and painful but not sure edwards really makes much of a difference there.

UVA is perhaps the worst possible matchup in the country for SU...outside of the 1 seeds.

and UVA is a horrible matchup for AG. there are a lot of teams where edwards would make a difference but i dont think was one.

UVA forces players to make quick and accurate decisions under pressure...AG and edwards are both not the best at that poart of the game.

what hurt most is that kadary was hurt...bc JG3 also couldnt do much vs the handchecking.

It sucked watching the first half and then the slow descent into a loss.

Not quite sure why the offense stalled out...but it did coincide with a lot of the subs at the end of the first half. The ball movement was amazing the first half and i dont quite get why it couldnt continue all game. oh well.

JB was pretty candid about Edwards (I missed the first half on TV so cannot comment). It's tough to score against UVa, MD is a better ball handler, better screener, bigger threat to score. Made sense. That's not why we lost.

Still trying to figure out why refs go to the scorers table for everything except for a 6.5 second count to inbound the ball...

I thought the guys made a point that they're more the team that barely lost by 3 than the team that got beaten badly during the season. They're cresting at the right time. I would like to hope we can compete in the ACC eventually. Have we made the semi-finals in the ACC tourney as yet? It's hard to win championships if we can't get to the big game.

I know it was a good financial decision, but our level of play hasn't followed the financials. Maybe that was the tradeoff, but I was hoping we'd get our share of tourney wins eventually. Will we get beyond the middle of the pack? We haven't had dominant teams but we've had some great players since joining the ACC.

What are reasonable expectations for SU in the ACC era? Are we what we seem to be?

I believe Jesse missed two layups and a dunk. I’m sure that freaked Boeheim out. Hopefully, he’ll get other chances.
Jesse had 3 shots that almost went and got pulled. I was shocked. He was playing aggressively and it was obvious he was going to make a huge difference on D.
I think that we would have won this game going away with a front court rotation of Jesse Marek Bras Q.
I have no idea why he didnt get 15 minutes.

Jesse had 3 shots that almost went and got pulled. I was shocked. He was playing aggressively and it was obvious he was going to make a huge difference on D.
I think that we would have won this game going away with a front court rotation of Jesse Marek Bras Q.
I have no idea why he didnt get 15 minutes.
I think you’re discounting the fact that our offense wasn’t as good with him on the court and that likely scared JB.

I think you’re discounting the fact that our offense wasn’t as good with him on the court and that likely scared JB.
Im not. He played 2 minutes. He was hammered on the dunk. Could have been 3 pts. His other shots just missed. Who knows but i think he was poised to have a solid game.

I never saw the replay again, but on the dunk attempt it seemed like body contact. The other time the shot clock was going down and he had the ball at the top of the key and nobody else was really making the effort to get it back.

And I absolutely think he helps against those tip outs and early Huff baskets inside.

I think the game was lost in the 1st half when we took so long to sub Jesse in and allowed Huff so many offensive rebounds. And Dolezaj wasn't giving us much on offense, either. This kept Virginia in the game. As well as we played offensively, we should have been up by more than 3 at the half.

Last edited:
Right before the half, Virginia gained some momentum and had it the entire second half. Even during the press. They weren't bothered by the score, and most teams wouldn't be. We played a top 10ish team, we played great, but the only way to change that is Edwards, or Braswell stepping up in the second half. I highly prefer the first option. I think if Edwards gets in for 10 minutes we become a better team. You can't expect a player who hasn't played all year to come in and to get in the flow of the game in 2 1/2 minutes. Low post opens up a double triangle for Kadar and Dolez. Eddy got 2 of the easiest looks we had all game.

It's an unseen stat but when the only pressure is the score and your up an entire half, it's harder to lose that game, which also translated as a much harder chance for us to win.

Last edited:
Right before the half, Virginia gained some momentum and had it the entire second half. Even during the press. They weren't bothered by the score, and most teams wouldn't be. We played a top 10ish team, we played great, but the only way to change that is Edwards, or Braswell stepping up in the second half. I highly prefer the first option. I think if Edwards gets in for 10 minutes we become a better team. You can't expect a player who hasn't played all year to come in and to get in the flow of the game in 2 1/2 minutes. Low post opens up a double triangle for Kadar and Dolez. Eddy got 2 of the easiest looks we had all game.

It's an unseen stat but when the only pressure is the score and your up an entire half, it's harder to lose that game, which also translated as a much harder chance for us to win.
Having Jesse in there also lets the rest of our defense be less concerned about Huff. In the few minutes he was in you saw Huff was more hesitant to attack than he was against Marek.

marek and Q are never gonna push a big guy outta the paint. they can set up camp , build a fire and cook elk steaks underneath all game. our only chance in that scenario is that the fat from the feast makes their enormous ogre hands too greasy to catch the entry pass. we're soft in the middle and even JB acknowledges the obvious. jesse at least gives us presence in the paint to put out that greasy elk chop fire.

Last edited:
JB was pretty candid about Edwards (I missed the first half on TV so cannot comment). It's tough to score against UVa, MD is a better ball handler, better screener, bigger threat to score. Made sense. That's not why we lost.

Still trying to figure out why refs go to the scorers table for everything except for a 6.5 second count to inbound the ball...
On that annoying Huff tap out that went into the backcourt, yes, you could ague that that is over-and-back. Not sure of the right call, however, I'll go with the refs' call there. But why did UVa get 30 second on the shot clock? I think that was a ref botch. If the offensive team retains possession after a shot, they only get 20 seconds. Jamie Lucky stopped the game, checked the monitor and UVa retained the ball with 23 seconds on the shot clock.

To be fair, those two calls I described above were moot, as UVa missed the shot and we got the rebound on the ensuring play. Oy vey. I can usually stomach bad judgment calls, but when they don't follow through on the rules, ... that bothers me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom