Quick Postgame thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Quick Postgame thoughts

We have all season to, politely, disagree :)

“Disagree without being disagreeable” - CTO (I think)
Exactly what are you agreeing with? That Girard is playing because of loyalty? Are you kidding me?

LOL. I’d be loyal too to most likely the leading scorer and even leading assist man. Some of you are starting awful early in the season.
Did you read through the game thread? :rolleyes:

So here was the best thing of the game tonight: Weedsport is sitting next to us this year! Woo hoooo! I introduced him to my daughter and my sports spouse, Gary, and showed him a couple of photos of my family room that my husband almost burned down last weekend. It was great knowing there is going to be a steady presence to my left this season. And good to reconnect with the little group that sits around us.
I need to hear more.

FTMG5UG645DIXC5LYY35DBSSXI

At this point if that was our lineup we’d have about half a 3pt shooter on the court
Really, you do not think Judah or Taylor can shoot. They combined for 3 from 5 from trey range, and though I did not see the game, Taylor had terrific form on his shot from looking at previous videos.

Look I’m generally positive on this team and staff. But I have to admit watching and just thinking that I think we are really going to struggle against better teams. The visible lack of half court offense was startling. I thought Jesse looked out of shape and was generally unimpressive. Judah and QC looked good. JT and Benny were ok. The rest was pretty rough. As predicted SY is odd man out. Thankfully the M2M was ok because the zone was awful and totally dragged the energy when we played it. They will get better but not sure how low we are starting. It just seems like we could be in for a long year. Judah has to figure out how to dominate

Look I’m generally positive on this team and staff. But I have to admit watching and just thinking that I think we are really going to struggle against better teams. The visible lack of half court offense was startling. I thought Jesse looked out of shape and was generally unimpressive. Judah and QC looked good. JT and Benny were ok. The rest was pretty rough. As predicted SY is odd man out. Thankfully the M2M was ok because the zone was awful and totally dragged the energy when we played it. They will get better but not sure how low we are starting. It just seems like we could be in for a long year. Judah has to figure out how to dominate
I thought the zone looked ok and the man to man looked terrible. Mintz would just leave his man at random. Poor communication when guys got mismatched and the D had to rotate. We did not turn it around on the scoreboard until we started playing zone. They could have scored a ton more points in the first if they made more wide open shots.

after LeMoyne(and the subsequent season we had) I learned to never give much of a crap about exhibition results, but I am not going to lie, I was a bit worried when we were down in the 2nd half, was happy to see the energy of the team do a complete 180 and our veteran players(and Judah) took over. I don't know if this is an NCAA team(very skeptical about that) but I think they will be better and more enjoyable to watch than last year's crew. low bar I know.

Exactly what are you agreeing with? That Girard is playing because of loyalty? Are you kidding me?

Wut?

I don't rely heavily on aggregate stats as an indicator of being a great player and projection to great team results.

Also, I'm going back and forth with Bees because we tend to not see eye to eye on bball things. And I thought that the water's edge was disagreeing about bball and nothing personal would be best served by a long-standing board quote.

I try and not put too much stock in exhibition games nor pre-season claims from JB. But the second half of yesterday's game was interesting because basically JB was basically playing to win, evidenced by his tighter rotation. Trying to keep it brief but my big takeaways:
  • Might Quadir be too talented a playmaker to leave off the court? Small sample size and this is the ultimate potential overreaction but he looked way more ready to contribute than I think most of us thought. JT and Bell were presumed to be the freshman who would earn most of the minutes at the wing spot but Quadir's versatility just may make him a viable option there in addition to the top of the zone as well. On a young team with a lot of unknowns like this, the more playmakers the better and Q certainly showed he can make a lot happen on the offensive end. Additionally, he was physical, disruptive, and also rebounded the ball exceptionally well. If he can be that kind of player consistently, I'm hopeful JB will find a good chunk of minutes for him (his postgame comments also made me cautiously optimistic).
  • Benny is 100% the biggest swing factor for this team. He's still an enigma to me. If he plays like he did the first 10 minutes, I don't see us winning many games. If he can play like he did with energy and confidence though, we'll be a lot better positioned. He has the tools, we've seen it, he just has to play with aggression and move without the ball better.
  • Not worried about Jesse or Joe. I actually didn't think Joe was bad as some have said here. He is adjusting to a new role with new players too and will be more reliant on his teammates to get him the ball. Yea he struggled in the first half but who didn't? I saw a more sound and sharp flow to his game which will lead to better shots in the long run. Jesse will be fine, despite a good bit of passivity in this one. I think JBs comments postgame come from a standpoint of acknowledging that they need him to be close to elite for us this year, which i think most would agree he has the potential to be.
  • As for the other guys quickly...
    • Judah is special. He just seems more than ready for this stage. I'm sure he'll have games where he struggles to shoot the ball but he's going to make a lot of plays for us. The key for him will be limiting turnovers.
    • JT I think makes an ideal 6th man on this team. Was really surprised he didn't get more minutes in the second half. I think he will wind up being a really really good college player down the road.
    • The question is obvious for Chris Bell... if he isn't shooting well, what can he do to help us? Definitely need to see more of him. I did like that he kept shooting and made a couple other hustle plays. Fwiw, JB really seems to like him based on him starting and comments made pre-season and post-game.
    • Give me Maliq over Mounir as the back up 5. I'll take the strength, toughness, better rebounding, and better skill around the basket over Mounir's length. He'll take time but he's the exact kind of player we haven't had since joining the ACC.
    • I find it hard to believe that Symir won't be part of this team's rotation. JB is very loyal to his upperclassman and Symir is a known commodity. He'll be a stable presence with just about any group on the floor as long as he isn't expected to score.
This is a fun time of year to speculate and envision what this team could be, especially with such a young group. I 100% agree with you AZOrange that this team will struggle against better competition. I think we have enough pieces and overall depth to stay competitive in ACC play but not sure we have quite enough to win the games we'll need to in order to get to the tournament. Hopefully this team solidifies their understanding of eachother and figures out how to win games during a pretty weak non-conference slate. Time will tell, but I'm excited to watch this group one way or another.

At this point if that was our lineup we’d have about half a 3pt shooter on the court

Mintz and Taylor can take care of that.

Last edited:
Wut?

I don't rely heavily on aggregate stats as an indicator of being a great player and projection to great team results.

Also, I'm going back and forth with Bees because we tend to not see eye to eye on bball things. And I thought that the water's edge was disagreeing about bball and nothing personal would be best served by a long-standing board quote.

Who used the word great? And I was responding to someone saying joe shouldn’t be in the starting lineup. Doubt there’s a coach in the country who would do that on this team. And what’s wrong with aggregate stats when it comes to assists? Do you think Joe should lead the team in assists? Is he still the PG? Do you think Joe should start?

Minsk and Taylor can take care of that.
I like Taylor as a forward, but as a guard I’m not so sure. I don’t even remember seeing him dribble last night.

Who used the word great? And I was responding to someone saying joe shouldn’t be in the starting lineup. Doubt there’s a coach in the country who would do that on this team. And what’s wrong with aggregate stats when it comes to assists? Do you think Joe should lead the team in assists? Is he still the PG? Do you think Joe should start?

I think with how JB sees Joe's role that he will play 1) lots of minutes and 2) have the ball in his hands a lot. So, sure, JGIII should have lots of assists. Whether that leads the team, I don't care. If Mintz is getting more hockey assists and JGIII is getting more assists, all good. If Mintz is leading the team, all good. If we had Scottie Pippen on our team and he played SF, I'd be fine with him having the most assists. He's the SG, but if he has the ball ALL THE TIME, it doesn't matter what his titled position is.

Do I think JGIII should start? Well, until I see evidence that Taylor is the next Klay Thompson, I think starting JGIII is fine. JGIII did enough to improve on the offensive end last year that I think he deserves to start. I can tell you right now that I don't think he deserves to shoot 50% more than the next closest guy in shots per game like Buddy did last year.

I want to be super clear. I like Joe. I think if we had an elite team, I think he'd be an off the bench guard that was instant offense. Where we are now? Sure, I think it's fine that he starts on this team. We need veterans, three point shooting and someone that is well versed in what JB wants. I hope he can be off ball way more. I hope his defense doesn't kill us.

I think he'd crush it if he played 25 - 28 mpg because I think he wears down.

But who cares? You're asking these antiquated questions: Traditional PG = most assists is not the way I look at things.

BTW - I was responding to someone else to make a point that we can disagree about bball and not be overly personal or have it be vitriolic. That's all.

Enjoyed most of the write ups here. The defense was talked about generally, and it sounds like the man wasn’t good. Are we thinking it’s unlikely JB sticks to his comments on playing man throughout the season?

PG - Copeland, (he was recruited for that)
SG - Mintz, (1 assist in 32 minutes)
SF- Taylor
PF- Williams
C- Edwards

6-6, 6-3, 6-7, 6-10, 7-0.
You know I respect your work, but I find it pointless discussing any lineup that does not include Girard.

And as well as Copeland played last night did he even run the point? It appeared his entire time in the game was spent at forward. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I have a suspicion JB does not trust him there yet.

Quadir looked great.
Bunch/Bell has got to get tougher and more active or Quadir will eat all his minutes.
Mintz will score a lot of points, but not so sure about him as a PG.
Hima looked suprisingly adequate, certainly not a stiff.
Jesse was asleep the first half.
Liked the glimpses Brown showed.
As AZ notes above, halfcourt O could be problematic.
Mostly positive things from Benny, esp after the first few minutes.

Who knows. That's a pretty decent team and our youngsters responded fairly well for game 1. Hard to say. Lots to work on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom