Quick re-assessment | Syracusefan.com

Quick re-assessment

DonLightfoot

All Conference
Here we are heading into early March and we are 26-2/13-2. There probably wouldn’t have been too many fans who would have balked at this before the season began. We have one loss at home in OT to a weak team and one loss on the road to a very good team which was in doubt until the last 10 seconds. Pretty good resume. Granted, our offense has been struggling of late.

In my mind the Virginia game could very well be our "statement" for the season, be it good or bad. If we win we add some additional cement on a number one seed. If we lose, I think we will need to win the ACC Tourney to get a number one seed back.

It is time to make that STATEMENT!

Everyone would have died for that record, but you always want to play your best down the stretch and I don't think that's happening. We definitely know how to win, but I haven't seen the progression I would have liked to see. For example look at Kansas. They have played a very tough schedule but they continue to improve and are getting better every game. Our defense has definitely improved since the beginning of the year, but we're letting inferior teams stay in games. Our offense has really regressed however. I hope it's due to fatigue, but everyone has seemed to go into slumps at the same time. I still think we're one of the best teams in the country, but as the BC game showed we could possibly lose to anyone come tournament time and that scares the hell out of me. There really is no reason why a 6 win team should have beat us at home. I don't really care how bad we were that night, we should have feasted on that team and we we're up 13 I believe with about 10 minutes left.

Yes, it feels like we are at the proverbial fork in the road. But what I like about college basketball is that even if you start to go in a bad direction, you get many chances to get back on the winning path.

Everyone would have died for that record, but you always want to play your best down the stretch and I don't think that's happening. We definitely know how to win, but I haven't seen the progression I would have liked to see. For example look at Kansas. They have played a very tough schedule but they continue to improve and are getting better every game. Our defense has definitely improved since the beginning of the year, but we're letting inferior teams stay in games. Our offense has really regressed however. I hope it's due to fatigue, but everyone has seemed to go into slumps at the same time. I still think we're one of the best teams in the country, but as the BC game showed we could possibly lose to anyone come tournament time and that scares the hell out of me. There really is no reason why a 6 win team should have beat us at home. I don't really care how bad we were that night, we should have feasted on that team and we we're up 13 I believe with about 10 minutes left.

This looks a lot like last year's team in that respect - defense getting better down the stretch, and the offense struggling badly. If we could only get some consistent jump shooting from Cooney and if our other guys were just a bit more consistent, a bit more dependable.

I'd gladly trade Cooney's feast or famine style for a more consistent 3 treys a game, instead of 7-0-2 over the same 3 games. Just like Southerland was streaky last year.

And Ennis is kind of like Triche was last year down the stretch - a bit reluctant to take on a bigger offensive role.

Christmas has shown a ton of potential, but these last couple games, the refs have been out to get him, and he's been a little careless. He's got to stay on the floor for us.

Syracuse lost four of its last five games during the regular season last year and the final one was a crushing 61-39 blowout at Georgetown. That team laid the foundation for their run to the Final Four at the Big East Tournament. No matter how concerned Cuse fans are right now about our scoring, this squad has already made a statement that they are contender for the national championship.

Virginia hasn't been ranked in the top 10 since January 2002 and that team was out of the polls by the end of February. This might be an important statement game for the Cavaliers but every college hoops fan in the country already knows that Syracuse is one of the best college basketball teams this season.

A victory in Charlottesville would only solidify our resume but winning the ACC tourney in Greensboro would make a much bigger statement. I guess I'm already sold on this team's strengths and the outcome of Saturday's contest isn't going to change my feelings about our title chances one way or the other. But it sure would nice to beat Virginia on senior day.

Go Cuse! Crush the Cavaliers!

The problem really is that it wasn't just one bad game. The NC State and Maryland games also showed our vulnerability. And if it wasn't for Trevor Cooney, the Notre Dame would have done so as well.

The good thing is, that's the past.

When we take care of UVA today, we show we're back on track.
When we make hem cry, he Wahhoos become the Boo-Hoos.

GO ORANGE!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom