Quick thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Quick thoughts

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • We all would have felt better about the loss if LSU didn't get blown out the week before
  • Hofrichter is a pro
  • Dungey played a very good game
  • Ishmael played like a MAN-Need one more WR besides him and Phillips to step up
  • Tremendous game from Bennett. The other LB's also played well
  • Dowels is the weak link on Defense-I know he got the INT, but it seems every game he gives up big plays, whether it be broken tackles or bad coverage. Wish Butler would take his snaps.
  • Still too many dropped passes, but the Pierce catch was an eye-opener. When is the last time we had a TE who could do anything close to that?
  • OL slowly getting better
  • DL looked good. Hope Coleman is okay.
  • Still too many plays where we look confused and run out of time on the play clock. Surprised it still happens
  • Think I saw Strickland finally cut outside on one play. Can't speak to the blocking, but skillwise, I prefer Neal. They both don't break tackles, but at least Neal has the potential to give you a big play if he gets a little space.
  • We were one big play from beating LSU AT LSU
  • In Babers I trust

Also want to add, while I think our Defense is definitely improved, it's nothing great at this point. It has gone from bad to Average. LSU isn't a great Offensive team and scored 28 points (won't count the first 7). It will be interesting to see how good it is next year when we have to replace our LB's, but everyone else on the D has an extra year to mature.

Also want to add, while I think our Defense is definitely improved, it's nothing great at this point. It has gone from bad to Average. LSU isn't a great Offensive team and scored 28 points (won't count the first 7). It will be interesting to see how good it is next year when we have to replace our LB's, but everyone else on the D has an extra year to mature.
Average defense, with what this offense is intended to be, is a winning formula.

• We all would have felt better about the loss if LSU didn't get blown out the week before
  • Hofrichter is a pro
  • Dungey played a very good game
  • Ishmael played like a MAN-Need one more WR besides him and Phillips to step up
  • Tremendous game from Bennett. The other LB's also played well
  • Dowels is the weak link on Defense-I know he got the INT, but it seems every game he gives up big plays, whether it be broken tackles or bad coverage. Wish Butler would take his snaps.
  • Still too many dropped passes, but the Pierce catch was an eye-opener. When is the last time we had a TE who could do anything close to that?
  • OL slowly getting better
  • DL looked good. Hope Coleman is okay.
  • Still too many plays where we look confused and run out of time on the play clock. Surprised it still happens
  • Think I saw Strickland finally cut outside on one play. Can't speak to the blocking, but skillwise, I prefer Neal. They both don't break tackles, but at least Neal has the potential to give you a big play if he gets a little space.
  • We were one big play from beating LSU AT LSU
  • In Babers I trust

dowels is our #4 corner, frederick,bradshaw ,butler are our top 3

Foster had some bad angles and got caught in the OLine on a long run today. Secondary is still pretty young and will make a few "OMG WHAT ARE DOING" plays.
I bragged on Jordan Martin in pre season, but he took a really bad angle on his support in the long touchdown pass where Fredericks got beat. He also was blitzing on a run play and was running so fast, he missed the running back. They are improving and I hope the progressively get better ss the season continues.

I bragged on Jordan Martin in pre season, but he took a really bad angle on his support in the long touchdown pass where Fredericks got beat. He also was blitzing on a run play and was running so fast, he missed the running back. They are improving and I hope the progressively get better ss the season continues.

Yep. We miss Cordy a bit. Martin is big and fast but is playing S for the 1st time after 3 years of CB.

LSU yards rushing:

BYU allowed 5.2 yards/attempt,
Miss St allowed 4.6 yards/att,
Last season LSU averaged 6.1 yards/att.
SU allowed only 4.0 yards/att.

I think as long as the front 7 we've got remain healthy, we appear to have a good run defense.

LSU also played 2 qbs. etling and brennan both moved the ball against us. ogeron apparently felt comfortable enuf against our D to give the frosh a few series mid game.
went back to his starter to finish but other than the pick (and the pick/drop) brennan played pretty well. and 1st team SEC guise was sitting it out.
dungey right now is a wild card. he makes plays out of chaos but in no way is a steady pocket presence. and he's doing a little too much yapping post tackle. grow up and lead.

Last edited:
Then we need to play our #5 corner. Is Cordell Hudson healthy? Also wondering, who missed the tackle on LSU's big RB touchdown?

LSU also played 2 qbs. etling and brennan both moved the ball against us. ogeron apparently felt comfortable enuf against our D to give the frosh a few series mid game.
went back to his starter to finish but other than the pick (and the pick/drop) brennan played pretty well. and 1st team SEC guise was sitting it out.
dungey right now is a wild card. he makes plays out of chaos but in no way is a steady pocket presence. and he's doing a little too much yapping post tackle. grow up and lead.

That is leadership. Don’t take shat, be competitive. It’s who he is.

When their QB’s had time they were ok. But Etling takes sacks, Brennan is going to be good for them - he beat the pressure a few times on his good drive - but through it right to Dowels.

O played Brennan because Etling sucks, not because he thought we did.

and somebody walk me thru the mahoney appearance. dungy has to hit the sidelines cuz he lost his helmet right ? so in comes mahoney and we burn a timeout apparently to get dungey back in ? and after the TO it's still mahoney. does dungey still have to sit out and the coaching staff doesn't know the rule ? help me out here. why was mahoney STILL in as QB after the TO ?

Last edited:
Have a question on secondary. Why are we giving inside releases to number 1 receivers. Shouldn't we be forcing them outside and use sidelines as an extra man. Fredericks keeps letting it happen and it gives qb a easier throw in the middle of field. Man do we need corners. Every other part of our d is vastly improved especially 30. Bennett is a great talent who has nose for the ball that is hard to teach and Slayton (man child) for LSU to have to literally hold him on every play shows how much they think of him.

Based on the number snaps (as elucidated in article below), Dowels is actually our # 2 corner, followed by Bradshaw and Butler, in that order. I would love to see more Butler and/or Scoop and less Dowels. When I watched part of the game again, it appeared LSU was basically targeting whomever Dowels was taking and hurting us over and over again. (Why might Syracuse football keep using RB Dontae Strickland? (PFF grades, notes))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom