Quick thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Quick thoughts

SoBeCuse

Living Legend
This will be a repeat I’m sure of much of the consensus thoughts in the game thread.

- Disappointing to see them struggle for so long against this team. Overall it didn’t look like we had a big advantage/difference in athleticism, frankly.

- Disappointing 1H again from Frank. Responded nicely in the 2H. PG is going to be a problem all year for us, IMO. Not enough speed and good decision making there. Geno will get better I’m sure if his ankle allows it.

- Brissett is our 1B to Tyus. We will have to live with him forcing it and turning it over some. Not many other options for creating offense in Boeheim’s system. Brissett will be awesome. Sooner than later.

- Chukwu is a disaster. He moves around better than last year and does some things better but that’s like saying he’s McD this year compared to BK last year. You want neither. Moyer just lacks instincts and looks soft/slow out there. Marek definitely has a better feel for the game but the guy is on the ground all the time after any bump.

- Halfcourt offense...yikes.

Last edited:
This will be a repeat I’m sure of much of the consensus thoughts in the game thread.

- Disappointing to see them struggle for so long against this team. Overall it didn’t look like we had a big advantage/difference in athleticism, frankly.

- Disappointing 1H again from Frank. Responded nicely in the 2H. PG is going to be a problem all year for us, IMO. Not enough speed and good decision making there. Geno will get better I’m sure if his ankle allows it.

- Brissett is our 1B to Tyus. We will have to live with him forcing it and turning it over some. Not many other options for creating offense in Boeheim’s system. Brissett will be awesome. Sooner than later.

- Chukwu is a disaster. Moyer just lacks instincts and looks soft/slow out there. Marek definitely has a better feel for the game but the guy is on the ground all the time after any bump.

Chukwu turned the game around on the back of that press. I thought he was terrific during our total shutdown of their offense. Moyer did some good things in the 2nd half. Marek hustles but I have yet to see much of anything else from him. Guess I disagree with your conclusions.

How did HW do last night. Keep hearing FH was ugly in 1st half. I think HW could really help us and settle us down. Any thoughts.

How did HW do last night. Keep hearing FH was ugly in 1st half. I think HW could really help us and settle us down. Any thoughts.
He didn’t do very much. Howard is a much better player right now. I feel pretty good about Howard, Battle and Brissett. The centers will provide shot blocking and size. Someone else HAS to step up. Marek and Moyer don’t look ready to me. We are really going to miss Thompsn. It’s hard to judge Thorpe but he better be ready. I really wish we had one more player. This might be a long season.

He didn’t do very much. Howard is a much better player right now. I feel pretty good about Howard, Battle and Brissett. The centers will provide shot blocking and size. Someone else HAS to step up. Marek and Moyer don’t look ready to me. We are really going to miss Thompsn. It’s hard to judge Thorpe but he better be ready. I really wish we had one more player. This might be a long season.
Agreed. HW just doesn’t seem like he fits. Hope he can. Team feels like a bunch of cobbled parts.

3FCB7C00-D4FD-4A7A-AD3B-A2FA1ACACF13.jpeg

Agreed. HW just doesn’t seem like he fits. Hope he can. Team feels like a bunch of cobbled parts.

The athleticism and quickness of this squad does not look good. We haven't been very athletic for years now, but with so many skinny kids, it sure looks like it's going to stand out even more.

Frank is not a PG. Frank is not a PG. Frank is not a PG. Frank is not a PG. I feel like we can keep saying this over and over, but there is no evidence that he can play the lead guard role successfully. I've always thought he's a better shooting guard as his decision making, ball handling and overall feel for the position is not what you want at PG. He looks pretty good shooting and driving when the opportunity is there.

We need Tyus and OB to score 17+ every game. It seems like we won't get much more offensively from the other forwards or centers, so those two have to carry the load with Frank/Geno adding some scoring punch, as well.

I had low expectations coming into the season, but after two exhibition games, I almost feel like I was being optimistic. This has the makings of the worst season of JB's tenure, without a doubt, with a real shot at a sub-.500 record. We just don't have the talent, skill, ability or size.

Last edited:
The athleticism and quickness of this squad does not look good. We haven't been very athletic for years now, but with so many skinny kids, it sure looks like it's going to stand out even more.

Frank is not a PG. Frank is not a PG. Frank is not a PG. Frank is not a PG. I feel like we can keep saying this over and over, but there is no evidence that he can play the lead guard role successfully. I've always thought he's a better shooting guard as his decision making, ball handling and overall feel for the position is not what you want at PG. He looks pretty good shooting and driving when the opportunity is there.

We need Tyus and OB to score 17+ every game. It seems like we won't get much more offensively from the other forwards or centers, so those two have to carry the load with Frank/Geno adding some scoring punch, as well.

I had low expectations coming into the season, but after two exhibition games, I almost feel like I was being optimistic. This has the makings of the worst season of JB's tenure, without a doubt, with a real shot at a sub-.500 record. We just don't have the talent, skill, ability or size.
In a perfect world Howard will share play making duties with Battle and Thorpe. I think Frank is better suited as a combo. Man it would have been nice to have Quade.

I just can't see Boeheim coaching a sub-.500 team. Can't wrap my head around it. These things always work out.

But I also can't disagree with anything else you say. Frank again looks to have improved, but not as a playmaker. Doesn't look like we have any point guard on the roster, and I'm not even sure that's our most urgent problem.

Overall it was a disappointing game for the last scrimmage. Started to wonder early in the first half if there was anyone that could score. Too much perimeter play then taking long jump shots. Lot of the blame comes back to ineffective PG. Need to accept two plus year experiment to make FH the PG is a bad idea. Of course it took nearly 2 years to get Gbinje to an acceptable PG level. If the goal is to win games then suggest moving TB back to SF, play Frank at SG and use Geno and HW at the point. Both Moyer and Marek do not appear ready. I had much larger expectations for Moyer after redshirting for a year. Marek will improve, I wonder about Moyer.

They are all young. Frank is under pressure to perform. They are getting use to the dome and each other. They were nervous and had the yipes. Their roles are yet defined. I really like Tyus, Oshae, and Bourama. I think either Howard or Thorpe will be productive. Thorpe is new and injured and Frank forgets he is playing point. He was initially known for making nice assists. Maybe both these guys will be solid. That leaves the only spot I’m worried about between Moyer and Marek. Marek seems shy offensively but very aggressive defensively. He needs to stay on his feet. I love Matt but he looks slow and is lacking in shot selection. These two are the wild cards and wild and crazy guys. I’m not totally discouraged.

I have seen HW play several times in high school and the AAU circuit. He usually doesn't hurt you but seldomly makes a play. I just don't see him as an acc ready PG. In 2-3 years he might be ready but asking him to play important minutes this season is going to be tough.

- Chukwu is a disaster. He moves around better than last year and does some things better but that’s like saying he’s McD this year compared to BK last year. You want neither. Moyer just lacks instincts and looks soft/slow out there. Marek definitely has a better feel for the game but the guy is on the ground all the time after any bump.

Agree with all of this for the most part, though I think Chukwu will be able to be not bad on the defensive end for 10-15 mins per game, which is actually much more than I would have predicted we'd see from him at the end of last year. So in that sense, I guess I'm not as down on him as you are. The halfcourt offense is unbelievably bad.

Agree with all of this for the most part, though I think Chukwu will be able to be not bad on the defensive end for 10-15 mins per game, which is actually much more than I would have predicted we'd see from him at the end of last year. So in that sense, I guess I'm not as down on him as you are. The halfcourt offense is unbelievably bad.

He’s looked better than I initially guessed as well. Just really worried about the step up in competition soon. Oakland completely slaughtered a CMU MAC team in one of their exhibitions scoring over 100. Chukwu is going to face players not worried about him soon, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom