Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 58 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
To have a home in case he doesn’t go pro. And I get it. He’s covering his bases just like we did. Now he may have already decided he’s staying in school, but he hasn’t said that nor withdrawn his name.
This is all speculation.
You don’t know.

Fair summary.
It’s really the narratives and JB does no wrong crew that has my frustration.
I see the program isn’t what it used and I am okay with that.
It’s the arrogance of the mindset we are still Syracuse that has me frustrated.
The no wrong crew can’t admit what the eyes show.
this is crap - you are not OK with where the program is - you have thousands of posts saying otherwise

Still puzzling and concerning that QG who started, played a majority of game, increased his role and had green light to shoot is leaving program. We went to sweet 16 and had a majority of players returning? Playing in the best conference with high profile exposure and close to home.
Now he has to start over, hope he fits in, gets minutes, fits in, etc. Really a strange departure that makes zero sense, IMO. Must be way more to story than we know.

Appreciate the response. Yea, I like the Swider addition and have from the beginning. Braswell announced his transfer, and it was clear Griff and Woody were also gonna leave, so we definitely needed another forward.

If you look at my original response, I was just collecting the stats and showing you that Griff and Cole played an equal amount of minutes (18-19 pg) at Illinois and Nova during the seasons before they came to SU, and Griff’s sophomore stats were all better than Cole’s junior stats. I also think Griff is more athletic (though undersized for a forward). I know the coaches like what they have in Cole, and I do too. I’m just concerned that him and Jimmy are not the most athletic duo at forward.

Btw, do you think JB called Jay Wright to pick his brain about Cole after the kid announced his transfer?
I don't know. Usually he would have. But this staff knew Cole for a long time. So they might not have. But if I would have to bet, I would say yes. Just to make sure he was a good kid.

Still puzzling and concerning that QG who started, played a majority of game, increased his role and had green light to shoot is leaving program. We went to sweet 16 and had a majority of players returning? Playing in the best conference with high profile exposure and close to home.
Now he has to start over, hope he fits in, gets minutes, fits in, etc. Really a strange departure that makes zero sense, IMO. Must be way more to story than we know.
The simplest explanation is usually the right one.

he wanted to test the waters. We filled the gaps before his fate was determined. He didn’t like his chances with the gaps filled and announced a transfer.

Fair summary.
It’s really the narratives and JB does no wrong crew that has my frustration.
I see the program isn’t what it used and I am okay with that.
It’s the arrogance of the mindset we are still Syracuse that has me frustrated.
The no wrong crew can’t admit what the eyes show.

I think there is a bit of a bias towards assessing that 09-14 was the Syracuse we all know. I think we still can be and might get there. When you look at the sequence of events that occurred between changing conferences, losing hop, sanctions and then having strong rosters on paper completely miss the mark it's been a confluence of many things to generate a valley in respect to regular season results.

I dropped a Ken Pom based analysis last week looking at 02-21. I wish I had data from say 77 to current too. 09-14 was exceptional as was the NC year but honestly they are closer to the tails of the curve vs near the median. So I think there is still an argument that while we are below the benchmark historicallywe aren't off the map nor is the benchmark 09-14. The events that add up to our struggles are numerous and likely the cause for our extended stay here.

I'm no apologist and share my own frustrations but also trying to look at things with less of a focus on the most recent period of dominance.

To have a home in case he doesn’t go pro. And I get it. He’s covering his bases just like we did. Now he may have already decided he’s staying in school, but he hasn’t said that nor withdrawn his name.
The point is this move indicates he has made a decision to stay in school.

It would be poor form to transfer to a new school and then turn down that scholarship and go pro. It also would needlessly irrate the SU fan base.

If QG was the only big-time guy who walks back into an even bigger role sure. But he is just one of many out there in the portal.

This is all speculation.
You don’t know.

your right, it’s speculation and a guess. And you don’t know either.

The simplest explanation is usually the right one.

he wanted to test the waters. We filled the gaps before his fate was determined. He didn’t like his chances with the gaps filled and announced a transfer.
So what gaps did we fill? A unproven forward in Williams and MD leaving.

Lol yeah with how JB plays rotations we only needed 2.
But we can’t wait for Quincy’s decision till July when he is announcing a new school in May.

When I can access the portal I’ll get back to you. But you are totally right we could never find another forward if we weren’t patient.
Oh wait Quincy already made his decision.

:)

Here is bet if Quincy plays college basketball next year I get to chose your avatar for the first 6 months of 2022.
If he goes pro and doesn’t play college hoops next year you get to chose my avatar for all 12 months of 2022.
Deal?
I am giving you. 2 to 1.

To add I promise no profane words in the avatar.

In 19-20 Cole shot 62 pct from 2. If you watch his games which I have found quite a few through digging - while his volume isn't high given Nova's offense he is very capable around the rim and uses both hands.

In 20-21 his 2 pt pct dropped to 50 pct but he also went from his shooting going from 66 pct 3s to 75 pct. Nova lost Saddiq Bey to the draft and did not have a replacement for their highest volume 3pt shooter from 19-20. Thus you add even more perimeter focus to the returning guys.

I saw more long 2s from Cole in 20-21 tape which I would chalk up to Novas offense and also hope are reduced and would expect as much. He can get a bucket around the rim and has good footwork and a good touch- more of that paired with his expertise from 3 and it's the ideal scenario and very much still wheelhouse.
His percentage should be that high when your shoot that little from inside. 75 percent of his shots are from 3. He is the definition of one dimensional.

His percentage should be that high when your shoot that little from inside. 75 percent of his shots are from 3. He is the definition of one dimensional.

He played on a 5 out team and was expected to spend his time on the perimeter. How can you confirm that without seeing him in a different system? Let's just ignore that he was 66/34 in his sophomore year or anything else I posted.

75 pct was the most recent year if you read my entire post.

I like Swider.
Let me say that.
If he could block shots I see a Tyler Lydon comp but I won’t put that on him.
He is a weapon.
I want to win a title and to do that we need a lot of talent.
Swider is talent.

My frustration is we can’t put a complete team on the court.
Have a big who can score a couple of buckets with their back to basket just to force a defense to potentially be stretched.

So what gaps did we fill? A unproven forward in Williams and MD leaving.
The gap JB filled was the potential huge hole at starting forward if QG didn't come back. He got Cole.- he is starting forward quality.

When we got Cole, the next year minutes dynamic changed for QG. If QG came back there would be QG/Cole/and Benny getting minutes. QG would probably get less minutes than he had last year - because a forward will not have to play center next year.

I like Swider.
Let me say that.
He is a weapon.
Swider is talent.

Have a big who can score a couple of buckets with their back to basket just to force a defense to potentially be stretched.

This year hinges on BS and Jesse, whether Joe improves and what we have in Symir. We are spending a lot of time arguing the 2-4 spots but it's kind of pointless given there is talent there that can win us a nice chunk of games. It's what happens at C and PG that will dictate how much more we win. All of that is either based on health or Development. Can Joe look a lot more like the first two games of the tourney? Can Jesse take the next step? Can we get the BS who was going around with 11/11 games at the end of 19-20? Can Symir come in and be a legit option for 20 mins a game or more when needed? Can Frank contribute? It's all right there at the end of the day.

I like Swider.
Let me say that.
He is a weapon.
Swider is talent.

Why don't we wait to see what we get out of the 5 before declaring that? I think Jess will be a big factor next year. And while I am not counting on anything from Sidibe, if we get something from him...Dasher will be a happy man.

If I could encapsulate the vibe from visiting this board lately.

Sad Bad Day GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

This is some serious Dino believe without evidence stuff. He's played 77 college bball games so far in his career and has made a grand total of 0.8 shots per game inside of the arc. So I guess if he makes 2 buckets in there then we should all be really surprised because he will have nearly tripled what he has done previously.
Exactly, Villanova usually runs a smaller team out there, you’d think with Cole at his size he’d be the ideal guy underneath if he had those skills.

Here is bet if Quincy plays college basketball next year I get to chose your avatar for the first 6 months of 2022.
If he goes pro and doesn’t play college hoops next year you get to chose my avatar for all 12 months of 2022.
Deal?
I am giving you. 2 to 1.

To add I promise no profane words in the avatar.

nope. Because I have no idea what Q will do. Why would I bet on something like that? What you keep ignoring what I and others like dasher have told you is that there is and was no guarantee when Q would make a decision and since July was the deadline that was too late for JB to wait on. When he does make a decision doesn’t change that chance one iota.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom