Quincy | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy

Problem was there was a coach that was honest with him (JB) and the other coach (Altman) told Quincy what he wanted to hear
It is true that Altman told him what he wanted to hear but at the same time he also gave him the chance to be a small forward. When Quincy showed that he was no more able to be a true Duck 3 than he was to be a true Otto 3, the house of cards came crashing down. I used the analogy of Villari coming from UM because Dino told him he would get a chance at QB. He got the chance, it didn’t work out, and now he is a tight end. Same as when he left UM.

I think Dino was being serious and I think Altman was being serious. Both coaches thought the potential was there and both players were given chances.

My feelings about Quincy have evolved over time. When he left, I felt that he was crazy to give up a starting role to go somewhere else. But in the end, he was a guy with an NBA dream who knew that his only chance at that dream was being a small forward. Hard to be critical of a guy who was betting on himself. Although I have been retired for 11 years (for those doing the math, yes I retired at 25), earlier in my career I faced the same thing. I was with a company I loved, colleagues that I loved, but I had plateaued and no longer felt the room for growth. I went elsewhere and that place sucked. After another 18 months, I moved on and the next company was where it all came together. It was like a door opened and the rest of my career was on the other side. I bet on myself and it worked out well. As an aside, thank you SU education. Also, thank you Mom and Dad.

In much the same way, Quincy bet on himself. He was maybe never going to get to the NBA at all but he definitely was not going to get there by being (at that time) a 6’7” power forward at SU. He shot for the stars. I can respect that now in a way that I could not when he initially left.

Freshman on the Mount, in Flint Hall. Remember the game but didn't see it in person. Just that JB was super pissed that some kid named Magic had won MVP of "our" Carrier Classic.
And oh yes, those unforgettable Mount Olympus steps..iced over, Sub-Zero temps, & 8 am classes on the quad. Good times.
Yes, going up those Mount Olympus steps was an adventure! I was a sophomore in 1977. First year and a half I spent at Booth, second semester sophomore year took an apartment at Skytop with buddies.

Freshman on the Mount, in Flint Hall. Remember the game but didn't see it in person. Just that JB was super pissed that some kid named Magic had won MVP of "our" Carrier Classic.
And oh yes, those unforgettable Mount Olympus steps..iced over, Sub-Zero temps, & 8 am classes on the quad. Good times.
My freshman year I was at Flint too. 107 steps up the hill.

Yes, going up those Mount Olympus steps was an adventure! I was a sophomore in 1977. First year and a half I spent at Booth, second semester sophomore year took an apartment at Skytop with buddies.

I’m also a 1979 graduate.

Quincy turns 24 next month. He’s getting quite old for college ball.

he looks young for his age. of course those are metric years.

R.6c3444d8f31482dccce7f87ebce75ebb.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom