Quincy | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy

He's a great kid. I just wish he could improve his three-point shooting. It's what would get him paid at the next level. Without that, he won't make it. You've got to be able to hit the three as a small forward in the NBA today.

Good to hear his defense is nasty. I hope he can make a lot of money in Europe over the next decade. I don't blame him for leaving. Coach B basically told him he wasn't going to shoot threes. He knew in order to make it to the next level; he needed to show off that side of his game. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't have that side of his game.

Hopefully, he's in the gym shooting 1,000 threes daily this summer with a shooting coach by his side.
Aside from his shooting Quincy is not and was never athletic enough to play in the NBA. People often wondered if he was playing hurt because he lacked explosiveness getting off the ground and finishing. In the old days he would have been a wonderful four year player here. Always gave it his all.

I watched the game just to see how Quincy played a couple of years later. As I posted in another thread, I was quickly reminded how he would miss bunnies. He missed at least two last night, one was after the defender fell to the floor. I never could then, nor now, understand how a player of his size playing that close to the basket can miss? I did note his 3 point shots were still a bit flat.
I thought Brisset was worse with missing the bunnies around the basket.

They recruited him hard out of high school. After he declared for the draft and came back with what the NBA wanted to see him improve on, JB justifiably told him he would not be a 3 in our system. OU promised him a chance at the 3. Much like our promise to Villari that Dino would give him a chance at QB, OU gave Quincy a shot at small forward.

In neither of those two cases did it really work out. Villari seems to have been moved to TE. Although Guerrier seems to have finished his career as a 3 and started his OU career as a 3, he spent much of it being moved to the 4.
Understood.

Bad decision.

Did not know that was a thing — so international players can not get NIL?

No, unless they apply for and receive a different visa. Also they can in another country.

I’m in Eugene and tonight my son and I decided to go to the Oregon-Wisconsin NIT game. Good game, I was able to high five the Oregon Duck, etc etc. Very enthusiastic crowd considering these two programs are more used to being in thé NCAA’s

Guerrier lost his starting job earlier this year but the Ducks were down three players so he started at the 3 and got a lot of run. Finished with 14 and 8 but shot poorly and his lack of further development in overall skills since transferring from SU has been discussed many times before.

That isn’t what stood out to me however. Although it was a decent sized crowd, I had the best seats for a game that I have had since the infamous Magic Johnson MVP Carrier Classic game in Manley years ago. What stood out to me up close is how he played defense like he was in a street brawl, and I mean that as a compliment. Not dirty but rather very physical and with tons of effort. We had nobody at forward that played that physical this year, not Maliq, not Benny, and certainly not anybody at the 3. He was an animal underneath and overall on D.

He looks like he has grown maybe an inch since his SU days but he is still a 4 in the body of a 3 and unfortunately in his mind he is a 3 also. Sadly, he is mistaken. Our coaches saw it but he did not.
I was at that Magic Johnson game also. Was still a student and trudged down the hill in the snow from Skytop. I wonder who else from this board was there?

I was at that Magic Johnson game also. Was still a student and trudged down the hill in the snow from Skytop. I wonder who else from this board was there?
I was there and I also trudged down from Winding Ridge on Skytop. Walked up and down that hill many times. I used to bring down the five signs that we chanted when they announced the other teams starting five. They stopped doing it that past few years. I still wonder where those signs went. I know the University wasn’t too keen on that tradition.

No, unless they apply for and receive a different visa. Also they can in another country.

So it’s a US customs issue rather than an NCAA rule. That makes sense.

1679512774904.gif

So it’s a US customs issue rather than an NCAA rule. That makes sense.

That’s my understanding

Still perplexed by his decision to transfer to Oregon.
The word per this board and other sources was he decided to leave when word of Jimmy coming to SU leaked and well as some other attitudes he saw vs other leaving players.

Whether that was the correct decision is certainly up for debate...but no reason to be perplexed on why he left

Not sure we’d want Quincy back
I would go along with this opinion. He would not be happy playing how and the position we need him to play. I admire his scrappy style of play but we need to build for the future, not apply band-aides.

The word per this board and other sources was he decided to leave when word of Jimmy coming to SU leaked and well as some other attitudes he saw vs other leaving players.

Whether that was the correct decision is certainly up for debate...but no reason to be perplexed on why he left
So, he left because Jim Boeheim's son was transferring to SU?

What attitudes?

What other players leaving?

I was. I think I even remember the date 12/8 I might be wrong there

What attitudes?

I suspect it was the way JB treated Alan Griffin and Woody Newton.

What attitudes?

you can search for some posts on the board that have these answers. The mods made it clear they don’t want this discussion and my name isn’t Brent Axe….so I’ll abide. Was just trying to explain that there was no confusion why he left.

I was. I think I even remember the date 12/8 I might be wrong there
Manley Field House held about 9500 people. Amazing that several of us were at that game and ended up in contact cough-40something-cough years later. God we’re old.

Manley Field House held about 9500 people. Amazing that several of us were at that game and ended up in contact cough-40something-cough years later. God we’re old.
class of '78 I was also in spfd for jb's first game against Harvard.

Freshman on the Mount, in Flint Hall. Remember the game but didn't see it in person. Just that JB was super pissed that some kid named Magic had won MVP of "our" Carrier Classic.
And oh yes, those unforgettable Mount Olympus steps..iced over, Sub-Zero temps, & 8 am classes on the quad. Good times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom