Rahme Lax Chat | Syracusefan.com

Rahme Lax Chat

Dave is game.

I'm thinking Thursday night around 7:30.

Unless there is some objection I'll aim for that.

Thursday might not work, stay tuned.

That's awesome mate, Can I submit some questions?

Of course, when it's scheduled we'll have a chat room set up. Show up and fire away.

Dave is game.

I'm thinking Thursday night around 7:30.

Unless there is some objection I'll aim for that.

That is awesome. Dave is a great guest and is you will learn a lot by sitting in on the chat.

That being said, I have something going on Thursday night. I might be able to get home by 7:30 PM, if it happens that night. It is going to be close. Don't hold things up for me though...

Thursdays are bad for me too. And try to avoid Mondays if you can.

Or maybe you can post a transcript.

Of course, when it's scheduled we'll have a chat room set up. Show up and fire away.
I think he means he will miss it because of the time difference with the UK and wants to submit some questions for a mod to ask.

Dave can do it, we'll set it up for 8pm.

Woody if you have any questions post them here.

Thanks mate! will do!

I hope it goes ok, I think its a great idea!

Gonna be a little late but hope I can get some questions in before it ends...

Hi guys. I'm here but don't see a lax chat room yet. Direct me if I'm doing something wrong.

Transcript:

orange79: Dave - thanks for doing this. Problems at X - coaching? Lack of identifying talent? Thoughts?

DaveR52: Interesting question. If you look at what these guys did in hs, they were all incredible. I think the issue with Daddio wasn't the initial move. I can't tell you how many he apparently won only to overrun the ball or do something stupid AFTER the initial move. Plus, the wing play has been subpar as well, which is weird considering the athletes they have. As for coaching, nobody knows the craft (goalie play too) as well as Kevin Donahue. All I can say is they worked harder on it, did more research, practiced more ... than ever. Let's see how it plays out.

orange79: Thanks, Dave. Fingers crossed

DaveR52: Ps: I also like the Nassau transfer a lot. Big and physical and is comfortable with the ball creating unsettled.

orange79: nice

OrangePA: FOOTBALL - ANY INSIGHT AS TO WHY ROB MOORE LEFT NOW RATHER THAN LAST YEAR?

DaveR52: No idea at all, OrangePA. I know SU loss a class act and a coach who learned well on the fly.

outoftownie: GOALTENDING, NEITHER HAS TAKEN THE JOB BY THE REIGNS OVER LAST TWO YEARS. WILL ONE OF THESE GUYS STEP UP? ALSO, THOUGHT FERRIGAN WAS #3, WHY DID WE SEE MALLOY? REDSHIRT?

DaveR52: Yes, Parker is going to redshirt. He has some technique issues to work on but is a better raw talent than either of the vets from what I hear. Now, as for them, the situation is different than it was two years ago when neither seemed to be capable of winning the job. Now, imo, both are capable, which is a good problem to have. Dom is better with the ball in his stick, but Bobby may be a better stopper. I think John is going to start Dom but will not hesitate to play the hot hand, as Bobby had a great off-season.

JeremyCuse: DAVE, THANKS FOR JOINING US. YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE THOMPSONS, LOTS AND LOTS OF TALENT BUT NOT MUCH TO SHOW FOR IT. BIG GAME THIS SUNDAY IN YOUR MIND FOR THEM?\

JeremyCuse: DAVE MEANT NOT MUCH TO SHOW IN TERMS OF NCAA TOURNEY

DaveR52: Frankly, I was surprised they made it into school but am glad for them that they did. It is amazing how different they are style-wise, with Miles being a power player and Lyle being faster and more creative in the open field. Obviously, it takes more than an attack to get far in the Tournament these days, and Albany has yet to surround these guys with sufficient talent. One thing I noticed and am sure others did as well, and I don't know if it means anything: When coach called a timeout in OT during last season's upset in the Dome the entire team huddled around him except the T's, who stayed on the field by themselves. What was that all about?

outoftownie: ONE OVER RATED TEAM ANS ONE UNDERRATED, NCAA WIDE

DaveR52: Townie, you'll think I'm ducking but I'm really not. With supply outweighing demand by so much these days, much more than any other sport imo, you have D-I talent playing D-III lax, so in my opinion there are no longer any under-the-radar teams out there. Right before my very eyes the game has changed from a player's game to a coach's game, which I personally hate. I just think parity has arrived to the point that most every game will be close and decided by goalie play and success at the X.

cuseguy: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE EARLY RECRUITING NOWADAYS? IS THIS BEING FORCED UPON SU, WHICH USED TO BE A LATECOMER IN RECRUITING?

cuseguy: I'M TALKING LAX.

DaveR52: The recruiting thing in lax is a total joke and I know SU hates it. First, there are only 12.6 scholarships, and to start committing them to freshmen and sophomores in hs who have not come close to developing physically is plan crazy. Then you have the rich kids who can afford to go to all the camps and spend the bucks to join at elite travel team. The number of kids with D-I talent who gets passed over because they're late bloomers or don't know the paths to attract attention has to be incredible. Something needs to be done about the early recruiting.

Me: DAVE, THANKS FOR SUPPORTING THIS, DO YOU THINK WE SEE MORE FULL FIELD UPTEMPO PLAY THIS YEAR GIVEN THE DEPTH? AND ARE WE GOING TO SEE EARLIER SHOT CLOCKS?

DaveR52: Go: Desko was pleasantly surprised by the improved pace of play last season and believes, at least for the time being, the problem has been fixed. I think it is so hard to score 6-on-6 in settled situations thanks to zone defenses and the size and talent of defenders these days that a team would be crazy not to try to create unsettled whenever possible, and I believe coaches are finally figuring this out. That noted, some kind of shot clock must remain part of the equation, unfortunately. The lack of one is ruining the women's game, imo, although not many are paying attention there.

OrangePA: FOOTBALL - DAVE - WHAT WAS YOUR IMPRESSION OF TERREL HUNT'S DEVELOPMENT AND HOW QUICKLY DO YOU THINK THE RECENTLY SIGNED AJ LONG AND ALIN EDOUARD WILL COMPETE WITH HIM? WHAT WAS YOUR ASSESSMENT OF THE 2014 FOOTBALL RECRUITING CLASS? BEST CLASS SINCE WHEN?

DaveR52: OPA: I was stunned by Hunt's development. I believe if DM had stayed Hunt would have been asked to consider moving to safety, as he was behind even Kinder at the end of 2012 season. I believe he still has major improvement to make in terms of actually passing the ball, but his poise, guts and production under pressure was impressive. I know the staff was extremely impressed with last year's frosh QBs, so let's not forget about them before we think about the newcomers. I believe Hunt will be pushed mightily this spring, but it is just a gut feeling. He will be awfully tough to beat out considering how he hung in there and proved to be a gamer. On paper, this class is SU's best in 15 years, but we all have to listen to what Shafe said at the presser and understand he wasn't blowing smoke: This is still a development school, one in which very few players will ever step in and star right away. Even McNabb redshirted. DM believed Morris and MacFarlane were the best backs on the team two years ago but held them out for the good of the program. So, the short answer is we're going to have to wait and see, but when it comes to getting players they evaluated and targeted to commit, it is a very good class.

outoftownie: WHAT IS GOING ON AT CORNELL, WILL KERWICK STAY OR NATIONAL SEARCH?HOW FAR WILL THEY FALL THIS YEAR?

DaveR52: Townie: I wish I knew what happened. All I know is I've known Ben DeLuca for years and there was never any hint of anything going on with his knowledge. He absolutely bled Big Red and was as responsible for the team;s resurgence as Petro and Tambo. In Matt Kerwick they have a guy who learned alongside Urick and has solid head coaching experience but a so-so career mark. The question is will that be enough for a team that is now used to going deep into the Tournament. IMO the loss of Pannell and DeLuca will be very tough to overcome.

Me: DAVE, HOW IS THE HEALTH ON THE LAX TEAM. IS MULLINS RECOVERED, IT LOOKS LIKE MALTZ HAS A BACK ISSUE, HE KEPT STRETCHING IT, ANY CONCERN ABOUT STAATS KNEE, AND IS GALASSO A LONG TERM ISSUE

DaveR52: Mullins is 100 percent and will be an All-American this season if he stays healthy. He is more athletic than the guys he is playing against and has a mean streak to boot, basically a linebacker in a lax uni, which is what he is. I'm not hearing anything about Maltz, so I can't address that, but if he goes out for any reason the most talented lacrosse player on the team will replace him - Staats. This kid is a special talent who will make everyone around him better. Did you guys see him pass up a point-blank shot on the cease to flip to Donahue for a dunk? Teammates love that kind of unselfishness. I gush, any maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I love his game. His sense of spacing and his ability to switch hands mid-move ... wow. Snake-bitten Galasso should be back soon. It is upper body, and I don't want to say more because he could be targeted by foes if they knew what was ailing him, but it should not keep him out much longer.

OrangePA: NOW THAT THE NEW CHANCELLOR IS IN OFFICE, DO YOU ENVISION GROSS REMAINING AT SU OR DO YOU SEE THE CHANCELLOR GOING IN ANOTHER DIRECTION? IS IT TRUE THAT GROSS HAS BEEN WORKING WITHOUT A CONTRACT?

DaveR52: Andy, I've heard every possible scenario regarding the future, so for me to even wager a guess would be irresponsible. Not trying to duck, but I have never even seen the new guy let alone gotten a feel for him. That noted, most bosses like to surround themselves with their people, but everyone knows that. I have no idea about the AD's contract situation, but I'm other there a lot and I don't see anybody putting their stuff in boxes.

outoftownie: WITH THE BIG ROSTER NUMBERS DO YOU HEAR MANY RUMBLINGS ABOUT PLAYING TIME/TRANSFERS AND INDIVIDUAL ATTENTION AT PRACTICE? HOW DO FOUR COACHES WORK WITH 50+ ATHLETES?

DaveR52: Townie, lots of split-field stuff, and they're running guys in and out all the time, but there's no question it is a real challenge and it looks like a fire drill at times. I think you're going to see more and more transfers as a result. Just too many guys, and they have to cut players to get it down to 50.

anomander: Hope a football question is ok...What do you expect from Emerich this season? And any idea how the development of Kyle Knapp is going? Was surprised when Lasker got the nod in front of him. Did that have to do with Knapps camp injury or is Lasker that far ahead

DaveR52: Ano: I have to say I'm not nearly as involved on the inside as I was previously. It was just too painful for me to hang around much, with Shafe and Daoust and others coming up and asking me to come back. It was just very emotional and rough, so I kind of tuned out a bit. I know Adkins and Marrone believed they had a superb center in waiting in Emerich, and they liked Knapp a whole lot, although they felt he was more raw and needed more development. I can't say how Perles evaluated them and what transpired to put Lasker ahead of Knapp. Sorry, but I don't want to make up some bs answer just to look smart (which I'm not).

anomander: thanks Dave

JeremyCuse asked a question about Desko’s development as a coach.

DaveR52: J: I'm more impressed with John Desko with each passing season. He should have been coach of the year last year for what he did with that team. Now, nothing is forever, but you're talking about a guy who used to put the kids on the bus, let them play and go have a beer afterward. That's the way it was. Now, it's all about coaching and strategy and training and psychology, and the guy has simply adjusted and mastered all of it. No ego, either. What you see is what you get, a West Genny guy who would be right at home in your Monday night bowling league. Not afraid to share the stage with a great coach in his own right in Lelan Rogers, whose work transforming SU's defense has been nothing short of incredible. I think the program is in great hands and should be for years.

JeremyCuse: Awesome answer Dave thanks

JSOrange97: DAVE, FB QUESTION: THERE’S BEEN QUITE A LOT OF TALK ABOUT OUR INABILITY TO RECRUIT NEW JERSEY. IT SEEMS OBVIOUS WITH BRINGING ACOSTA ON BOARD THAT THIS IS GOING TO GET MORE FOCUS (THOUGH IT WILL ALSO HELP EASTERN PA/PHILLY RECRUITING.) HAVE YOU HEARD COACH SHAFER ADDRESS THE JERSEY TOPIC DIRECTLY?

DaveR52: JS: No, I haven't. I'm from Jersey, so I know from experience that that state is overrecruited big-time and when the sleeping giant (Rutgers) awakened, or at least blinked, it really hurt SU especially. Not Penn State, which still gets the cream of the crop there, and not Notre Dame, which will cherry-pick there. And not the powerhouses, which will continue to get the guys they want. Bit SU, which was getting the next level of prospect and developing him into a star, was hurt. When Deleone started getting shut out, you know SU was in trouble. I just don't see a big resurgence there and I'm not sure it's worth the effort (and I never thought I'd ever say that because I used to believe SU absolutely had to have 15-20 Jersey kids on the roster every year to survive) now that they are mining the Midwest, Georgia and Florida much better.

outoftownie: STAATS IS THE BEST OFFENSIVE TALENT AT SU SINCE ___________ (I think he will end up a first team aa)

DaveR52: Townie, so hard to answer because he only has two years and SU's game has changed to depth over individual superstars and he plays within that system so unselfishly. Kenny Nims needed two years to get comfortable here, and Mike Leveille was really a pure attackman. Randy can feed like Nims and score like Leveill, and he can do it from up top or behind. And he's bigger than he looks. Incredible hands and vision and just that intangible sense of knowing where to be and where his teammates are going to be. Hate to put pressure on him by filling in the blank. Let's just say I like him a lot but must preface my enthusiasm by noting he is currently playing on SU's second midfield. I laughed out loud when Siena put a shorty on him on his first run and he ran right past the kid, switched right to left and scored off the drive. I said he would score 15 if Siena stayed with that strategy. It didn't.

JeremyCuse: Dave two quick rapid fire, One can you debunk the urban legend that Gait was brought in to coach the womens team at such a high salary because Gross was going to have him coach the men (this is right after terrible 07 team) if SU struggled in 08 (ended up winning Nat Title). 2. Petro on the hot seat in your mind at JHU?

DaveR52: J: Can't debunk it because I don't know. Gary had a ton of experience coaching women, so it wasn't a stretch to put him there. But once the salary came out everyone thought something was up, me included. John kept it all in the speculation category by winning the title the following season, so it all worked out so sweet because Gary has the women on the doorstep too. The seat must be heating up under Petro. Do you see they're playing up-tempo this year??? That says it all.

JeremyCuse: thanks Dave, agree on both especially Petro you can tell someone must have gotten in his ear from way up top at JHU

DaveR52: PS: I know many hate him in Syracuse, but I love Petro. Never ducked a phone call or a question and speaks from the heart. It's why I love lax coaches in general.

JeremyCuse: He does answer every question I will give him that. Do you know how his thoughts/feelings on SU as a program and or Desko?

TexanMark: Does the ACC send 4, 5 or 6 teams to NCAAs this year in LAX? Which one(s) don't make it if not 6 get in

DaveR52: North Carolina State and BC. Oh wait. They dropped D-I lax. Dummies. Seriously, I would have to be dumb to pick against any ACC team. The only way one misses will be if it finishes below .500 because the SOS and RPI will demand inclusion otherwise.

JeremyCuse: Dave in regards to Petro what are his thoughts on Syracuse and Desko?

DaveR52: I think there is mutual respect there that fans don't understand. I think each understands the expectations are different for them, which ramps up the pressure, and the folks on the outside make it a Baltimore-CNY thing. I almost hate to say it, but I think John has gotten more like Dave in his approach recently once he realized that it was no longer a player's game and it was going to be coaching that made the difference. Dave believed that all along. I think they respect each other. It's a pretty close fraternity.

Great job guys, sorry I didnt get any questions over to you, I had practice last night and just didnt have time to get any questions in in time!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the transcript. And big thanks to Dave. Always has good info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom