Rak gets 32 seconds today | Syracusefan.com

Rak gets 32 seconds today

Madbiker

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Reg Season Rcd
took a bad shot on our 1st possession and got pulled immediately with an icy stare. Could see that coming. It's the same treatment JB gave Fab last year against Rutgers when he got pulled 4 seconds after checking in. Hope it produces the same results with Rak.

Wide open at the foul line, hes got to at least hit the rim lol...id much rather have him play over baye but it aint happening and 30-1 tells me i should pipe down

Blah. Rak misses 10 footer never sees court again, Baye fumbles every pass for a year and keeps getting minutes. I'm a broken record on this one, but I'm just at a loss for why Baye is playing. Great kid, invaluable last year, but lost it this season. I could even give Dirty his minutes at Center and not care. Dirty can jump up and tap around rebounds, he seems as capable blocking shots, and he can catch the ball.

I'm not really advocating for Dirty at Center at all btw, I'm just still wishing we just gave Rak some back-up center minutes through the year. He only took on that role a couple games while Melo was out and was serviceable for the most part.

/Rant.

he also had a lazy closeout on Blackshear for U of Ls opening 3 pointer. That's what JAB was pointing out to him. Not the bad miss from 12 ft

Blah. Rak misses 10 footer never sees court again, Baye fumbles every pass for a year and keeps getting minutes. I'm a broken record on this one, but I'm just at a loss for why Baye is playing. Great kid, invaluable last year, but lost it this season. I could even give Dirty his minutes at Center and not care. Dirty can jump up and tap around rebounds, he seems as capable blocking shots, and he can catch the ball.

I'm not really advocating for Dirty at Center at all btw, I'm just still wishing we just gave Rak some back-up center minutes through the year. He only took on that role a couple games while Melo was out and was serviceable for the most part.

/Rant.

Could be more to this. Baye is a huge effort guy (even though he sucks) and is probably putting in 120% effort in practices. Rak could be jaded by now and is not putting in effort in practice so he gets no time in games. Just a random guess to explain what JB is doing. Otherwise no idea.

took a bad shot on our 1st possession and got pulled immediately with an icy stare. Could see that coming. It's the same treatment JB gave Fab last year against Rutgers when he got pulled 4 seconds after checking in. Hope it produces the same results with Rak.

That came after he didn't make an attempt on the 3 point shot on his side that started the game...Boeheim gave him an earful about the lack of defense, not the shot...

starter_logo_2481.gif

/Rant.

Baye knows how to play defense, at least somewhat. Rak has no clue; can't stop anybody - yet.

Baye knows how to play defense, at least somewhat. Rak has no clue; can't stop anybody - yet.

He's also playing as a forward defensively for most of the 175 seconds he's in. Baye falls for every shot fake, he's not much better - if at all. I mean, who is he stopping inside this year? For the most part I'm going on potential, and the 3 games we had without Fab, and Rak was better imo. That alone warrants trying to give him some minutes.

The last few games we've had as soon as Baye enters the momentum takes an immediate and drastic shift in the other direction. I'm not sure Rak could make it worse.

Is there a chance he transfers? I mean, to start the kid and yank him after 40 seconds seems like you're just trying to embarrass him. If he put him in these games again later on it would be one thing, but this is almost a joke.

He's also playing as a forward defensively for most of the 175 seconds he's in. Baye falls for every shot fake, he's not much better - if at all. I mean, who is he stopping inside this year? For the most part I'm going on potential, and the 3 games we had without Fab, and Rak was better imo. That alone warrants trying to give him some minutes.

The last few games we've had as soon as Baye enters the momentum takes an immediate and drastic shift in the other direction. I'm not sure Rak could make it worse.

Baye knows how to body a guy up the lane and not let him get too deep position in the post. Rak lets a guy back him right down under the basket. He does a terrible job establishing a defensive position against a guy in the post. It's like they haven't taught him (or more likely he hasn't absorbed) the move where you put one leg forward - like Angelina Jolie in that slit skirt at the Oscars - and use that to keep the guy from backing you down.

i suppose the biggest problem i have with the quick hook every game is how it makes JB'S coaching style and player management look to some young recruits and their families. pretty sure nobody watching is overly impressed with the tactic whatever its reason.

In his defense, Rak was hit on the elbow on the shot. It was pretty subtle, but the LVille player pushed his elbow to the side as he shot, hence the result. I don't think that was the reason he got yanked though. As many have said, I think it was the defensive mistake just before that.

How he is being used is confusing and I just hope he doesn't transfer out

i suppose the biggest problem i have with the quick hook every game is how it makes JB'S coaching style and player management look to some young recruits and their families. pretty sure nobody watching is overly impressed with the tactic whatever its reason.
I disagree. I think it makes JB look good. First off, you can easily come away with the idea that he promised a starting gig to Rak and is making good on the promise. He can say I will start you, what you do from there is dependent upon your performance.

Secondly, by giving the token start to Rak, all SUs bench numbers get a boost. In-game numbers always looks good because CJ (and Dion but he is at least somewhat legit) are included. Makes SU look good.

These two things could be used to SUs advantage on the recruiting trail. If he tells Noel he will start, Noel can believe it. If they tell Ennis that even as the third guard he will see big minutes because SU plays the bench the most in the BE, the numbers will be there to back it up.

As for Rak transferring, please stop. You don't think the story of Fab's hard work and turnaround has been heard by Rak. Do you really believe he doesn't see himself in that role for next year? Add to that more opportunity with departure of KJo, and Rak is in a good spot right here. He just needs to take advantage of it.

Is there a chance he transfers? I mean, to start the kid and yank him after 40 seconds seems like you're just trying to embarrass him. If he put him in these games again later on it would be one thing, but this is almost a joke.

This worries me. Rakeem's got as good a chance as anyone to be a very good college player, but his body language has often been poor. He can't be enjoying this at all. Hope he listens to Scoop and takes this all as motivational constructive criticism (even though I think Boeheim has taken it too far).

This worries me. Rakeem's got as good a chance as anyone to be a very good college player, but his body language has often been poor. He can't be enjoying this at all. Hope he listens to Scoop and takes this all as motivational constructive criticism (even though I think Boeheim has taken it too far).
Well hes got 2 great examples to go off of. Fab, who couldnt get out of his own way last year has worked himelf into a first round draft pick and Dion was set to transfer and has also put himself into the first round with rappers tweeting about him.

I disagree. I think it makes JB look good. First off, you can easily come away with the idea that he promised a starting gig to Rak and is making good on the promise. He can say I will start you, what you do from there is dependent upon your performance.

Secondly, by giving the token start to Rak, all SUs bench numbers get a boost. In-game numbers always looks good because CJ (and Dion but he is at least somewhat legit) are included. Makes SU look good.

These two things could be used to SUs advantage on the recruiting trail. If he tells Noel he will start, Noel can believe it. If they tell Ennis that even as the third guard he will see big minutes because SU plays the bench the most in the BE, the numbers will be there to back it up.

As for Rak transferring, please stop. You don't think the story of Fab's hard work and turnaround has been heard by Rak. Do you really believe he doesn't see himself in that role for next year? Add to that more opportunity with departure of KJo, and Rak is in a good spot right here. He just needs to take advantage of it.

Your logic doesn't work here: From everything I have read and heard from or about JB over the years I feel like it is hugely unlikely that he promises kids starting spots on the recruiting trail. But if he did/does, then his treatment of Rak is an even bigger negative. Because now any kid he promised a starting job to could look at Rak and say "yeah, he'll start me all right, then pull me after 40 seconds and never call my name again." I don't pretend to know anything that is going on, but this is flat out preposterous, plus it prevents CJ from starting - a kid who has earned it in spades. It is almost like JB is daring Rak to blow up on him. He did say the kid needed a mean streak, maybe the whole thing has been an effort to sort of piss him off and get him aggressive. I don't know.

If it was me, (and it is NOT), I would go the other direction and tell Rak, "We're relying on you today, we are going to win or lose this game with you playing big minutes." He had to do that vs WVU and Cincy. Rak responded with his best game against Cincy.

I'm another one that's not too worried about Rak. I mean he's got to see the development of Fab as previously mentioned and just reading in the recent Joseph article about Rak being like a little brother to him, I'm sure Kris has been in his ear all year as Joseph himself had a rough 1st year followed by a bust out 2nd year.

I'm another one that's not too worried about Rak. I mean he's got to see the development of Fab as previously mentioned and just reading in the recent Joseph article about Rak being like a little brother to him, I'm sure Kris has been in his ear all year as Joseph himself had a rough 1st year followed by a bust out 2nd year.

He and Michael will be huge parts of this team next year, and each of them may have an opportunity in the Big East tournament to get some quality minutes.

Your logic doesn't work here: From everything I have read and heard from or about JB over the years I feel like it is hugely unlikely that he promises kids starting spots on the recruiting trail. But if he did/does, then his treatment of Rak is an even bigger negative. Because now any kid he promised a starting job to could look at Rak and say "yeah, he'll start me all right, then pull me after 40 seconds and never call my name again." I don't pretend to know anything that is going on, but this is flat out preposterous, plus it prevents CJ from starting - a kid who has earned it in spades. It is almost like JB is daring Rak to blow up on him. He did say the kid needed a mean streak, maybe the whole thing has been an effort to sort of piss him off and get him aggressive. I don't know.

If it was me, (and it is NOT), I would go the other direction and tell Rak, "We're relying on you today, we are going to win or lose this game with you playing big minutes." He had to do that vs WVU and Cincy. Rak responded with his best game against Cincy.
I doubt any recruit JB promises a starting job to would think they would get pulled quickly. That's just not how they think. I think it could mean a lot to Noel to be told he would start. And he probably doesn't give the "how long you stay in depends on your performance" part much consideration at all. He could be looking at Rak and think JB is keeping his word.

This is recruiting in the new age. JB may not have done any guarantees in the past. Doesn't mean he isn't doing it now. Besides, why else is he bothering to start Rak?

As for your "If it was me" part. Would you really give a player you are developing for future years major minutes in the current season? Why win or lose a game based on Rak's performance? Wins matter and Rak is not in the plans this year. Rak's time is in future years, not this season. And how would that be even remotely fair to CJ?

I understand he blew a D assignment but to never see the floor again seems harsh but what do I know for all I kno he is just lazy and JB cant stand it. Seem look a good time to get some quality minutes against a good BE team, esp when we was up 19?? I mean he was the #1-2 center coming out of HS, he cant be that bad and actually played pretty well when Melo went down. I know JB has a short leash but to me this will scare recruits who wont be giving a chance to play thru their struggles that most fresh go through and not commit to us. I just cant help to think if Rak went to lets say Kentucky, N.C, or a OSU that he would be getting quality mins, a chance to play through his struggles and alot of espn highlights we see from a Anthony Davis and others. I know JB always have a method to his madness but I know for sure this turns away big time recruits. We have two MCD all americans who get's less than 10mins comnined..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom