Random Italy Thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Random Italy Thoughts

I am interested to see who plays more between Girard and Goodine. I can’t think of many(or even any?) legit 4 guard rotations that lasted all season.

Seems like it’s pretty close between those two guys though.

JB just might play 4. I don’t think we have a guard that will play 38mpg like we’ve done in the past. Carey and Buddy might play 30-32 but I can see Goodine and Girard getting 8 each. But if we only play 3, it’ll probably be based upon what we need at the time. Goodine can shoot but Girard is better. But imo, Goodine is the better all around player especially on the defensive end.

Question: did we know we were 50-60 points better than some of these Italian teams when we scheduled these games?

Don't get me wrong, I think there is definitely value to a team traveling abroad together and bonding and building some cohesion with younger guys, but next time we do this I would love to play teams that could legitimately beat us.

I am interested to see who plays more between Girard and Goodine. I can’t think of many(or even any?) legit 4 guard rotations that lasted all season.

2012 with MCW as the fourth guard (10 mpg) is the only one that comes to mind

2012 with MCW as the fourth guard (10 mpg) is the only one that comes to mind

Agreed for much of the year. That was the only one I could really think of. But even he was getting a lot of DNP’s in the big games.

But also, we had a clear 3 guard rotation of 2 veterans and a star sophomore ahead of him.

Whoever the 4th guy is this year, there’s no upperclassman established multi-year starters ahead of him - and I’m pretty sure there’s no top 5 NBA pick sophomore ahead of him.

Question: did we know we were 50-60 points better than some of these Italian teams when we scheduled these games?

Don't get me wrong, I think there is definitely value to a team traveling abroad together and bonding and building some cohesion with younger guys, but next time we do this I would love to play teams that could legitimately beat us.
See, we say that seeing how these have gone, but if we were closer or actually lost one, people would be going APE.

See, we say that seeing how these have gone, but if we were closer or actually lost one, people would be going APE.

I personally would be fine losing a tight game to a European team that I knew was on par with an elite US college program. I would like to see how Carey does with the ball in his hands at crunch time.

I personally would be fine losing a tight game to a European team that I knew was on par with an elite US college program. I would like to see how Carey does with the ball in his hands at crunch time.

We care about the games and SU implies that we should by selling us the feed, but I suspect JB would tell you the value is primarily in the sanctioned full team practice time we get in advance to prepare for the trip and during the trip, then maybe the team bonding and lastly about anything coming out of the 40 minute contests that we play.

Not sure about the next team we play, but most programs that have gone to Italy this year have destroyed everyone except the Netherlands National team.

Not sure about the next team we play, but most programs that have gone to Italy this year have destroyed everyone except the Netherlands National team.

The team we play tomorrow is supposedly in 1st place in their league. Don’t know how good the league is though.

I'm guessing that we'll go 7.5 deep, with either Braswell or one of the frosh centers being the .5

The important question is "When" we will play a 7.5 man rotation - (1) November, (2) January, or (3) March.

As long as the answer to that question is "3", then that's fine.

The most that 4 guys played in the backcourt together was probably the 2000 team that started Jason Hart and Tony Bland, and then Allen Griffin and DeShaun Williams would also see a pretty good amount of time. Griffin played the least, but still got 10 minutes a game for almost all season.

If we only play 3 guards, it's probably going to be Goodine, because he's probably quicker defensively than Girard.

If we only play 3 guards and 2 of them are Girard and Buddy, those guys are going to have a tough time keeping opposing guards out of the lane against top teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom