Random Italy Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Random Italy Thoughts

General20

Basketball Maven
I really like Goodine on the defensive side of the ball. We won't see this line up much because it keeps our three best offensive players on the bench but Sidebe, Dolezaj, Braswell, Goodine, and Carey will probably end up being our best defensive line up.

Guerrier is as complete a freshman (both physically and skills wise) as I can remember. He's not the best freshman I've seen, its just that he doesn't seem to be bad at anything. Almost every college basketball player has a glaring weakness in some area or a physical shortcoming they have to work around, and its even more pronounced with freshman. Everything about Guerrier's game seems above average. It only took him 10 or so minutes into the first game to score in the post, off the dribble, and from 3. That pretty much says it all.

Its Guerrier's post up game that has me most excited. He didn't post up a ton in either game, but from what I saw (I did miss parts of both games) he never missed from the post. He scored most of the time, and a few times he passed out and got an assist. Something good always happened. And this is without Dolezaj playing. Imagine Dolezaj at center, pulling the opposing team's center away from the basket, allowing Guerrier to post up against a forward unaccustomed to defending the post! Having Dolezaj's offensive skills at the center position and still having a post up game sounds great to me. I hope this becomes a big part of our offense this year.

From what I saw, Carey shot 100% from the field on mid-range pull up jumpers and 0% from the field when he tried to attack the basket (not counting uncontested transition breakaways). We are going to need his speed and athleticism this year. I'm hoping his role becomes a very simplified one - handle the ball, beat your man, draw help defense, and pass to the open man ... second option, pull up for a mid range jump shot. I don't even want him to have to worry about pulling up from 3 or driving to the hoop. He doesn't have those skills yet.

Hughes' ball handling and passing seems much better than they were last year, which is huge for us, because it should help him take advantage of the extra defensive attention he is bound to draw.

Its been said a million times, but Sidibe looks healthy. I want to add that a healthy Sidibe is a good basketball player, and for a guy with knee problems, having to chase around the kind of small centers he's gone up against so far is probably a better test of his wheels than banging against a big his own size would be.

Pencil Carey, Boeheim, Hughes, Guerrier, Dolezaj, and Sidibe into the regular rotation. Girard, Goodine, Braswell, Ajak, and Edwards will be battling for the rest of the PT. Anywhere between 1 and 3 of them might make the rotation depending on who is ready to contribute immediately. My guess is only 1 will end up earning regular playing time and it will be one of the guards.

Last edited:
I’m thinking of a Carey, Goodine, Hughes, Guerrier, Dolezaj lineup that plays a switch heavy current NBA style man to man against a perimeter oriented opponent, and wondering how well that would work.

I’m thinking of a Carey, Goodine, Hughes, Guerrier, Dolezaj lineup that plays a switch heavy current NBA style man to man against a perimeter oriented opponent, and wondering how well that would work.

I think our zone is pretty much a switch heavy m2m.

I think any m2m that switches everything is a de facto zone, just without a center parked at the rim at all times.

JB insists that Dolezaj will be paying primarily forward this year. Let’s see if he sticks to his word.
Good point. I don’t see it. Our best offensive lineup is with him at the 5. Let’s see how this plays out

I really like Goodine on the defensive side of the ball. We won't see this line up much because it keeps our three best offensive players on the bench but Sidebe, Dolezaj, Braswell, Goodine, and Carey will probably end up being our best defensive line up.

Guerrier is as complete a freshman (both physically and skills wise) as I can remember. He's not the best freshman I've seen, its just that he doesn't seem to be bad at anything. Almost every college basketball player has a glaring weakness in some area or a physical shortcoming that must be overcome, and its even more pronounced with freshman. Everything about Guerrier's game seems above average. It only took him 10 or so minutes into the first game to score in the post, off the dribble, and from 3. That pretty much says it all.

Its Guerrier's post up game that has me most excited. He didn't post up a ton in either game, but from what I saw (I did miss parts of both games) he never missed from the post. He scored most of the time, and a few times he passed out and got an assist. Something good always happened. And this is without Dolezaj playing. Imagine Dolezaj at center, pulling the opposing team's center away from the basket, allowing Guerrier to post up against a forward who never has to defend the post. Having Dolezaj's offensive skills at the center position and still having a post up game sounds great to me. I hope this becomes a big part of our offense this year.

From what I saw, Carey was 100% from the field shooting mid-range pull up jumpers and 0% from the field when he tried to attack the basket (not counting uncontested transition breakaways). We are going to need his speed and athleticism this year. I'm hoping his role becomes a very simplified one - handle the ball, beat your man, draw help defense, and pass to the open man ... second option, pull up for a mid range jump shot. I don't even want him to have to worry about pulling up from 3 or driving to the hoop. He doesn't have those skills yet.

Hughes' ball handling and passing seems much better than it was last year, which is huge for us, because it should help him take advantage of the extra defensive attention he is bound to draw.

Its been said a million times, but Sidibe looks healthy. I want to add that a healthy Sidibe is a good basketball player, and for a guy with knee problems, having to chase around the kind of small centers he's gone up against so far, is probably a better test of his wheels than banging against a big his own size would be.

Pencil Carey, Boeheim, Hughes, Guerrier, Dolezaj, and Sidibe into the regular rotation. Girard, Goodine, Braswell, Ajak, and Edwards will be battling for the rest of the PT. Anywhere between 1 and 3 of them might make the rotation depending on who is ready to contribute immediately. My guess is only 1 will end up earning regular playing time and it will be one of the guards.
What about Braswell? I’d think he’d get time at forward.

Good point. I don’t see it. Our best offensive lineup is with him at the 5. Let’s see how this plays out

Ajak is suppose to be a good shooter too. He might be capable of stretching the floor as much or more than Dolezaj can, and he might be better suited to the 5 defensively. Its really hard to say without seeing him play. Boeheim might also have internal motivational/political reasons for saying what he said. Right now we just don't have enough info. I certainly wouldn't take what he said to mean that there is zero chance of Dolezaj playing at the 5 this year, and I wouldn't take it as an outright lie either.

What about Braswell? I’d think he’d get time at forward.

He absolutely might get time at forward. In these two games he's looked pretty good defensively and pretty average offensively to me. I don't think Hughes or Guerrier are going to be sitting a whole lot and my guess is Dolezaj replaces them when they do, but its certainly not impossible for Braswell to earn playing time. One of the fun things about this team is that the puzzle pieces could conceivably fall in a number of different positions, which is why these games, the 2 regular exhibition games, and the early season games against inferior competition will actually mean something.

I'm very curious to see how the rotation will develop. Seems like an almost annual rite of summer. Fanbase gets excited about how deep we are and how many solid players we have that will demand playing time than as we work our way through the season the rotation slims itself down to no more than 9 and sometimes 8 guys. We have 12 scholarship guys this season, they ain't all playing....should be interesting to see who ends up in/out of the rotation and how early it sorts itself out.

I listed guys based on my opinion of the likelihood (in the absence of injury) that they will be in the rotation. First six guys are somewhat interchangeable in this respect, I wasn't trying to rank them in the number of minutes or importance to the team. Last 6 guys will be interesting. They ain't all gonna play.

1. Hughes
2. Buddy
3. Dolezaj
4. Carey
5. Guerrier
6. Sidibe
7. Girard
8. Goodine
9. Braswell
10. Ajak - Not having seen Ajak or Edwards these guys could flip flop for the 10/11 role but depending on what they bring, but if Sidibe is healthy and Guerrier is as good as he looks, I'm not sure there will be much PT available for either of these guys.
11. Edwards - seems like he would be the fourth big - if that is right there is almost no chance he gets meaningful minutes this year.
12. Washington - almost no chance that he gets more than walkon minutes

The big men are definitely the wild cards. If JB is really going to try and play Marek exclusively at forward, Sidibe will need help from one of the other bigs particularly early in the season.
It will be Very interesting to see how it all shakes out, but I don't think we'll have a solid rotation beyond the starting five or six, until the ACC season starts.

The big men are definitely the wild cards. If JB is really going to try and play Marek exclusively at forward, Sidibe will need help from one of the other bigs particularly early in the season.
It will be Very interesting to see how it all shakes out, but I don't think we'll have a solid rotation beyond the starting five or six, until the ACC season starts.

Not a knock on your post in any way -- but it is impossible to envision Marek playing exclusively at forward despite what JB said. Hughes and Guerrier are going to play a LOT of minutes, so there isn't much room for Dolezaj to work behind them. With the backup C position being unsettled, I'd expect that he plays at least half of his time there, while also spelling both guys at forward.

Will be interesting to see what Edwards / Ajak are capable of, and whether either earns a spot in the rotation, which would offset having to play Dolezaj there.

I'm guessing that we'll go 7.5 deep, with either Braswell or one of the frosh centers being the .5

Not a knock on your post in any way -- but it is impossible to envision Marek playing exclusively at forward despite what JB said. Hughes and Guerrier are going to play a LOT of minutes, so there isn't much room for Dolezaj to work behind them. With the backup C position being unsettled, I'd expect that he plays at least half of his time there, while also spelling both guys at forward.

Will be interesting to see what Edwards / Ajak are capable of, and whether either earns a spot in the rotation, which would offset having to play Dolezaj there.

I'm guessing that we'll go 7.5 deep, with either Braswell or one of the frosh centers being the .5
I agree - if we want Marek on the floor his only minutes are at the 5. QG and Hughes will be playing 30 plus and Marek IMHO needs more than 20 for us to be successful

Agreed, I would be shocked if Marek didn't see some time at the 5. With so many guard options, Hughes will play almost all his minutes at the 3 unless JB goes with a specialized lineup of some sort and it's hard to see Guerrier not playing 35+ minutes a game already. Sidibe looks improved but we all know the foul issues he has had previously so I think Marek will definitely see a good amount fo time at the 5 but maybe not as much if JBA or Edwards can push for PT. Personally I hope the staff RS whoever ends up being the 4th big, wouldn't be the worst thing to build some Center depth.

Anxious to see JBA, Edward's is definitely raw but you can see the skills. Give Jesse and year and I think he could be perfect. Foul prone but I love the tenacity swatting shots at the rim. Can't wait to see Marek back out there as well.

I know it comes with the JB territory these days, but I'm really not into the 7.5 with multiple guys logging 35+.

It's a weird goal, but I don't feel like seeing any of our players towards the top of the minutes per game NCAA stat board you know?

I know it comes with the JB territory these days, but I'm really not into the 7.5 with multiple guys logging 35+.

It's a weird goal, but I don't feel like seeing any of our players towards the top of the minutes per game NCAA stat board you know?

I'm with you -- always have been, wished he used our bench a little more.

But it is what it is.

Yep...JB is who he is and he'll give 35 minutes to X amount of starters and the rest will be divided by how they are playing that day and who. Curious who his lack of patience player will be this year.

I'm with you -- always have been, wished he used our bench a little more.

But it is what it is.

Yup

A good place to start based on JB's LONG history: Hughes and QG 35+, Buddy 30

Marek is going to see time at the 5 if the above holds true. How much will depend on how well Sid plays AND Sid staying out of foul trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom