Random plays that stick with you | Syracusefan.com

Random plays that stick with you

Brooky03

Hubris is underrated
Does anybody else have random plays from regular season games roughly a decade or more in the past that they think about a few times a week?

For me, it’s the floppiest flop of all time by a floppy flopper, Ryan Arcidiacono. On December 2014, to my recollection, he fell down as if shot by a howitzer during an otherwise meaningless regular season game and despite not being touched. That flop capped off an immensely BS comeback that resulted in a Nova OT win, some say is the most undeserved win in human history, across all sports and wars.

This lives with me to the point that I saw him on the bench during a Knicks game earlier this season and had a visceral “Fudge that P-word B” reaction before I knew what happened.

Anyway, anybody else hate a man for something insignificant they did forever ago?

*I took a liquid lunch at BWW that is turning into liquid dinner and these NCAAT games suck.

Last edited:
Every time I see someone do an ‘X’ after a nice play or shot, I immediately think this person sucks. Thank you Carl Krauser.

Anytime I see my kid get in the other face of my other kid, and the instigator kid whines/cries after retaliation then I think ‘oh lovely I created an Aaron Craft’.

Not random and not regular season, but anytime Syracuse and National Championships come up, the whole sequence of Triche/Coleman missed FTs and Smart’s jump shot going in flashes through my mind.

Sucks, but my therapist says I’m making progress!

HakWar dunk at Notre Dame where we all had to convince our brains we saw what we saw

On the negative side coast to coast bucket by Georgetown at the Dome to defeat us as time expired (mini Charles Smith I believe )

Seriously though, Hak's block of Lee's shot I could watch over and over again.

But what sticks with me is the last-ditch shot after the block (that I was SURE was going in) and Kueth's grab and cradle of the air ball.

Tears.

Does anybody else have random plays from regular season games a decade or more in the past that they think about a few times a week?

For me, it’s the floppiest flop of all time by a floppy flopper, Ryan Arcidiacono. On December 2014, to my recollection, he fell down as if shot by a howitzer during an otherwise meaningless regular season game and despite not being touched. That flop capped off an immensely BS comeback that resulted in a Nova OT win, some say is the most undeserved win in human history, across all sports and wars.

This lives with me to the point that I saw him on the bench during a Knicks game earlier this season and had a visceral “Fudge that P-word B” reaction before I knew what happened.

Anyway, anybody else hate a man for something insignificant they did forever ago?

*I took a liquid lunch at BWW that is turning into liquid dinner and these NCAAT games suck.
The ref that came from half court to say that Cooney was out of bounds vs the Zags. There was a ref right there on the baseline. We could have lost because of that call and not had the final four run in 16

Sherman hiking the ball to Steve Thompson against Indiana.

You stole mine. An exclamation point on a performance where we humiliated the team that beat us in the championship the year before. Such a good feeling.

But since you took that one, I'll bring up the time Hakeem Warrick dunked from the free throw line, during a game, against Georgetown, and nobody ever talks about it. I'll never understand why that isn't a bigger deal.

People ., the rules were regular season games!

Does anybody else have random plays from regular season games roughly a decade or more in the past that they think about a few times a week?

An oldie but far from goodie that fits this perfectly is Elmer Bennett in the dome in 1990. If you know you know. If you’re too young to know I’m pretty sure you can find it on YouTube

You stole mine. An exclamation point on a performance where we humiliated the team that beat us in the championship the year before. Such a good feeling.

But since you took that one, I'll bring up the time Hakeem Warrick dunked from the free throw line, during a game, against Georgetown, and nobody ever talks about it. I'll never understand why that isn't a bigger deal.

He had another one, vs ND, where he’s kinda just standing there in the paint, making a hesitation move, with the ND dude between him and the hoop.

Then he just turns and extends, and just THROWS DOWN over the dude.

IIRC, that’s the one where Jay Bilas says the guy made “a business decision” not to contest it.

Speaking of Bilas-isms and random regular season games.

Cuse vs Duke.
Somebody bricks a shot, and Jerami comes in from outer space at full extension with one of the most ferocious tip-slams in hoops history.

Bilas’ comment - “I’m surprised he didn’t burn up on re-entry”. :cool:

This wasn't a really exciting one, but I remember Stevie Thompson taking the ball at Mutumbo, elevating, and floating one just over his outstretched arm for a bucket. There was something about a guy going right at someone a foot taller that always stuck out to me even though it wasn't some sort of exclamation dunk.

And I'll always remember the highlight of Flynn dunking on Michael Beasley in the MAA game.

I would include an alley-oop pass from Sherm but there were too many and they all run together.

The ref that came from half court to say that Cooney was out of bounds vs the Zags. There was a ref right there on the baseline. We could have lost because of that call and not had the final four run in 16
Legit was going to say that. If we didn’t win that game, that would be in my head on a loop. Now I only think of it every time I see a bad call in the tourney

Devo making a left hand jump shot from the baseline. I believe his freshman year.
Z Sims with a pass off the backboard to JW in an early season or pre-season game.
Tony Bruin baseline dunk over Ewing at the Dome.
Cleveland State’s 3/4 shot to win.
McNeil’s FTs vs Pitt.
Pearl making Thompson take off the press.
The Phi Slamma Jamma game. Crazy good college game.

Devo making a left hand jump shot from the baseline. I believe his freshman year.
Z Sims with a pass off the backboard to JW in an early season or pre-season game.
Tony Bruin baseline dunk over Ewing at the Dome.
Cleveland State’s 3/4 shot to win.
McNeil’s FTs vs Pitt.
Pearl making Thompson take off the press.
The Phi Slamma Jamma game. Crazy good college game.

Whoah. I was coming to post your first one w/ Devo. {shocked emoji}