Random thought re: bowls | Syracusefan.com

Random thought re: bowls

Eric15

Living Legend
In 1995, there were 18 bowl games, and I am confident I could name every one off the top of my head if you gave me like 10 minutes to think about it. I feel like the most obscure one was maybe the Las Vegas Bowl. They were all relatively intuitive, and they all had non-goofy names.

There was a very clear three-tier hierarchy. You had your BCS level games at the top, you had your mid-level games like the Gator and Holiday in the middle, and your lower tier games like Liberty and Independence.

Today: the Raycom Media Camellia Bowl? The Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl? The Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl? The Autonation Cure Bowl? These things are to bowl games when our current SU football uniforms are to tasteful fashion.

In 1995, there were 18 bowl games, and I am confident I could name every one off the top of my head if you gave me like 10 minutes to think about it. I feel like the most obscure one was maybe the Las Vegas Bowl. They were all relatively intuitive, and they all had non-goofy names.

There was a very clear three-tier hierarchy. You had your BCS level games at the top, you had your mid-level games like the Gator and Holiday in the middle, and your lower tier games like Liberty and Independence.

Today: the Raycom Media Camellia Bowl? The Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl? The Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl? The Autonation Cure Bowl? These things are to bowl games when our current SU football uniforms are to tasteful fashion.

Most of the bowls you mention just give the non Power 5 teams an opportunity they didn't have before. I'm not going to say I watch every minute of them, but I don't have an issue with them.

The trouble is assuming bowl=reward for great season. For a handful of bowls, this is true. For the others, it's just a way to play one more game ...possibly in a nice location. I like to watch football so if SU gets in the e.g Pinstripe Bowl, I watch. Great season = great bowl. Mediocre season = mediocre bowl. Seems about right to me.

I think the bowl hierarchy you speak of still exists but the lower tier is now greatly expanded. College football is my favorite sport, so I love that there are more games to watch on random nights in December now. The season is short compared to other major sports and always goes by so fast.

Everyone knows playing in the Cure Bowl isn’t a major achievement, but it’s football so I’m going to watch it.

All these bowls exist so that:
a. ESPN has program content to fill out their schedule.
b. Local chambers of commerce get money from what would have been empty hotel rooms, restaurant seats, etc. (the reason there are bowls to begin with).
c. ESPN has program content to fill out their schedule.
d. Fewer teams are "playing out the string" starting in October.
e. ESPN has program content to fill out their schedule.

Why? There's many benefits to the schools that play in them. I can't think of one problem other than "it celebrates mediocrity".
Too many bowls. If you can’t get 2 .500 teams you shouldn’t have a Bowl game.

All these bowls exist so that:
a. ESPN has program content to fill out their schedule.
b. Local chambers of commerce get money from what would have been empty hotel rooms, restaurant seats, etc. (the reason there are bowls to begin with).
c. ESPN has program content to fill out their schedule.
d. Fewer teams are "playing out the string" starting in October.
e. ESPN has program content to fill out their schedule.

That is, greed.

LOL, what? What's ESPN supposed to do just use filler content? Yeah, that will make the stakeholders happy.

They could use whatever content they used before there were all these superfluous bowls. Not sure why your confusion about the meaning of "greed" warrants an LOL.

They could use whatever content they used before there were all these superfluous bowls. Not sure why your confusion about the meaning of "greed" warrants an LOL.

It's not greed for a company to utilize their assets. Their primary asset is programming. That's smart business, not greed.

Ok, if we eliminated 2 bowls would that suffice?
Yeah I would have 30 bowls.
There are 119 D1 teams.
Therefore you get half of the teams in bowls.
Also I would allow redshirts to play in Bowl games as a reward.

Nobody is forced to watch a bowl game. So I never understand the crowd that whines "there are too many bowl games." Don't watch. Without these lower tier games you would have less bowl games and the same group of 30 schools going to bowl games every year and every other school being left out with the occasional trip once every 20 years to a bowl.

Why is it so bad that we have more bowls and more kids and schools get rewarded with an extra game, a week trip to a city they probably would never visit in their life possibly where they can have some fun and explore the country, and also be treated like kings for a week with some good food, swag bags, and entertainment. How is that a bad thing?

If Joe Fan doesn't want to watch...don't! Just because some or a group doesn't want to watch doesn't mean we should just do away with the bowls.

I’m surprised that schools haven’t challenged the 15 extra practices that bowl teams benefit from. It sounds like a benefit that all teams should get regardless if they are bowling or not. I say that because a school like WMU was left out of a bowl game although they had a better season than some of their conference mates(my opinion). It seems pretty strange that we allow the subjective decisions of not for profit bowl committees to decide who gets to have extra practices, not the NCAA or the conferences themselves.

If they reduced the amount of bowl games but allowed all schools the option of having the additional practices I would be in favor of it.

I’m surprised that schools haven’t challenged the 15 extra practices that bowl teams benefit from. It sounds like a benefit that all teams should get regardless if they are bowling or not.
Seems reasonable... but then again, might kill some of the bowls :) with teams just opting to practice.

Nobody is forced to watch a bowl game. So I never understand the crowd that whines "there are too many bowl games." Don't watch. Without these lower tier games you would have less bowl games and the same group of 30 schools going to bowl games every year and every other school being left out with the occasional trip once every 20 years to a bowl.

Why is it so bad that we have more bowls and more kids and schools get rewarded with an extra game, a week trip to a city they probably would never visit in their life possibly where they can have some fun and explore the country, and also be treated like kings for a week with some good food, swag bags, and entertainment. How is that a bad thing?

If Joe Fan doesn't want to watch...don't! Just because some or a group doesn't want to watch doesn't mean we should just do away with the bowls.

Is there any number of bowl games added where you would say "ya know what, this is just too much." Like if 4-8 teams started getting invited, for instance.

Is there any number of bowl games added where you would say "ya know what, this is just too much." Like if 4-8 teams started getting invited, for instance.
Not me...but the market for such games is probably low and that's why they would not exist.

Not me...but the market for such games is probably low and that's why they would not exist.

Nebraska and Tennessee each went 4-8 this year. If they played in a bowl game it would probably get a bigger TV draw than any other game involving a mid-major.

Nebraska and Tennessee each went 4-8 this year. If they played in a bowl game it would probably get a bigger TV draw than any other game involving a mid-major.
I would have no problem with it...but wouldn't watch it either.

I don't really think "The Bachelor" should be a show on TV either...I won't watch it, not interested... but some people do/are and it is.

Last edited:
that would be like a Pam Anderson v Jenny McCarthy No Holds Barred Bikini Beach Match.

While it’s no longer the 90s, and 2/3s of the country would have zero interest...the third that did wouldn’t miss it and it would get boffo ratings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom