Rank Your Favorite Vintage SU Logos | Syracusefan.com

Rank Your Favorite Vintage SU Logos

7. Classic

6. It’s unique- very underrated logo imo

9. Championship logo baby! Plus I remember drawing that on every paper-bag-book-cover I had from roughly 6th grade through my graduation.

7 and 9. Number 1 is third for me despite the hate for it on this board.

#1 has been my phone background for like 8 years, I didn’t even really remember until I saw this thread

Is there a Syracuse fan somewhere who doesn't like 7?

Yeah, I'd be surprised if we could not all agree on #7. A classic look which evokes memories of a great era of SU basketball. I also like #8 (block "S") and #3 because the Dome is a signature feature of Syracuse. Honorable mention to #9 only for nostalgia of the 2003 title season, not aesthetically.

Already I see three votes for #6. That's the only logo which makes me sick. SU was not a particularly activist campus in the late 80s but the student body actually protested against that one, right after it was unveiled. The Daily Orange ran a great feature where they showed examples of about 20 different logos used across corporate America which looked fundamentally the same as that SU design. Sterile, unoriginal, ugly, and a weak effort at abstraction. I guess it was ingrained for future classes and they largely accepted it.

7. Classic

6. It’s unique- very underrated logo imo

9. Championship logo baby! Plus I remember drawing that on every paper-bag-book-cover I had from roughly 6th grade through my graduation.

Exactly my thinking and ranking, couldn't have said it better myself!

Sterile, unoriginal, ugly, and a weak effort at abstraction. ...

I agree with a lot of this, which is why I like it. Reminds me of stuff like the Spectrum and Providence Civic Center logos (and I'm sure a million others) from back in the day. It was an era of subtlety.

Also, it's associated with exciting hoops.

1-4 are all awful.
like, done with MS Paint awful.

#666 should burn in Hell.

I remember when that was foisted upon us, and they tried to say it was like the intersection of the highways in Syracuse. :rolleyes:

It looks like two LEGO penguins trying to 69.

(You’ll never un-see that now. De nada.;) )

#9’s only saving grace is ‘03 Natty.
otherwise, I don’t love it.

If 5 & 7 had a love-child, that would rule.
(just like the 80’s hoops unis did.:cool: )

I like the Orange block S.
it’s college, and it’s Syracuse

9 (NC logo, natch), 7, 8 (love the block S), 3 (just for the sake of nostalgia).

All the rest are junk, IMO. Especially 6, which I refer to as the Graphic Disaster™. Here's another version of that:
1588715393870.png

Also, not included in this poll, is this epic fail (which I refer to as the Goofy SU logo):

Goofy syracuse_logo.jpg

9 (NC logo, natch), 7, 8 (love the block S), 3 (just for the sake of nostalgia).

All the rest are junk, IMO. Especially 6, which I refer to as the Graphic Disaster™. Here's another version of that:
View attachment 180837

Also, not included in this poll, is this epic fail (which I refer to as the Goofy SU logo):

View attachment 180836

the 1870 logo is the one i associate with the letter showing i was admitted to Syracuse. Nostalgia wise it always speaks to excitement for me. Always made the school feel grand w the date of origin and that corporate S. Feels like something from the 1980s.

Let me add that the original Carrier Dome logo -- two gentle tapered arches in two tones of blue -- was perfect and everything that came after was too cute or obvious.

I like the current day block S. I like 9 also because I really remember it as a unique thing we had on our uniform shorts not just in 03 but in 96 as well iirc.

#1 has been my phone background for like 8 years, I didn’t even really remember until I saw this thread
Same, and I didn't even remember until I saw this post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom