Rate your spouse / SO | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Rate your spouse / SO

No longer married, but while I was she was a 2 as a sports spouse. She was fine with me watching whenever I could, attending games when I could, and wearing orange even when a fashion faux pas but never would watch with me or attend games. She was an SU grad but never went back to Syracuse in the 30 years we were married nor liked me spending money on being a fan. I watched or listened to a lot of games alone during our time together. She's a great mom and good lady, but we never shared a passion for sports. It wasn't the only reason we went different ways, but it didn't help.

My wife had no prior knowledge about Syracuse University prior to meeting me, nevermind knowing anything about the sports teams.

She rates a 10 because when I asked her what we should do for our anniversary this September, she said, how about a weekend in Syracuse centered around a football game in the Dome.

My wife scores high on this scale.

Positives:
1- In 2002 after only dating a few weeks she tailgated with my family & i in the snow for ND game (whooped their a$$)
2- My in laws have 50 yd line seats 1st level for football & 8th row between midcourt & SU bench for basketball...ps they dont go at all so I get first crack for every game!
3- Encourages me to go to games even if I feel a little guilty leaving the family (sure she might be banging the gardner, but at least I get to go to see us beat stony brook!!!)
4- Pretty much doesnt care about me watching every football/hoops away games on TV.
5- Didnt hear a word about my road trip to Morgantown in 2010 less than 2 weeks after my appendectomy (which came on the heels of the USF road trip).
6- Once we beat Gtown in the BET this past spring, started looking up tickets for me @ StubHub for the BET championship vs LVille which she bought for me.

Negatives:
1- Isnt too keen on all day tailgates for me but we compromise (The Clemson game is off the books this year as I will be on campus at least 6 hrs prior to kickoff).

Overall Score: 9.99 (there's always room for improvement!)

10 10 10 10

My wife and I got married the same week we won the NC in April 2003. She had an Orange groom cake for me and even though she is a Wisconsin Badger, in her wedding vows she finished by saying "... and I will ALWAYS root for Syracuse."

Needless to say it was a good week! :)

image.jpg

Loves the games as much as I do. Flexes her schedule to accommodate games and such. Has her own 44 jersey, has her own handle on this board.

So who was that with you at the UConn game a few years back? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha, that was a previous lady friend. She has a degree from Louisville and while we were together Syracuse couldn't seem to beat them in anything, football or basketball. After we broke up we finally beat them again football. I took it as a sign.

Right...

So out of all you mooks in here, I'm the only one with a lousy wife.

That's believable. Um, no.

I will say a 9.5. I tell everyone the following story. On our 1st date 42 years ago, I took her to an SU bball game as a test. She really liked it so then I knew that she was a "keeper". We have been to many bball & fball games since. She is from Alabama but is now true Orange. I deducted one half point because she still doesn't understand all of the nuances of football and occasionally nods off during a televised bball game. But I couldn't ask for more. We celebrated our 41st anniversary this week!

On a scale of 1-10, how great a spouse or significant other do you have when it comes to SU sports?

I'll start - 9.2 (she likes Roy Williams and Carolina for some reason I don't understand - otherwise we might be looking at a perfect score)

An 11.

She trekked down to New Orleans with me back in 2003 despite being 3 Mos pregnant and in the throes of AM sickness...

And she waited with me outside the team hotel on both Saturday and Monday nights for the team bus.

Never an issue with me going to any 'Cuse (or Giants or Yankees etc..) game in any sport.

And she bought me a signed Carmelo Anthony 'Cuse jersey for Xmas one year...

And she was the one pushing me to go to Atlanta when I was being hesitant because I knew how hellacious the time frame would be given the family wedding on Friday night...

I was going to say 8.5 but I'll bump her up to a 9 for there being no way that she would get caught dead reading this forum. In fact if I left it open sitting on the table and she came to use it she would be most likley to ask me to come close my page down (not very technically inclined interested). The only reason she is not a 10 is occasionally I'll get the "why don't you go outside and enjoy the day instead of sitting inside watching football." And yes, though for the most part she understands she has said this during a Syracuse game. She goes to all the games with us and is a very big Reds and Bengals fan. In fact she may get a 9.5 because she actually attended the freezer bowl back in 1982 (-59 degree wind chill AFC Championship game vs. Chargers).

I have a 10. She went to Hunter in NYC (girls school) and is not an athlete but is a sports fan. She trekked 900 miles with me to the CT game last year, froze at the Pinstripe Bowl, bought me tons of Orange gear, brings out the SU flag on game day and places Otto (the pillow) on the couch to watch the games. She is still disappointed that "gorgeous" decommitted and went to TCU. She understands the reverence of #44 and was big booster of Shamarko and now for Hunt because of their personal stories.
Of course, she is much smarter than me and understands the meaning of quid pro quo so our season tickets (first time this year) came with strings but what the hey.

I'd have to give my wife an 8. She loves SU basketball, but not much of a football fan (doesn't understand the game even though I've tried to teach her the ways). She knows what a huge football fan I am, so she does get into football when we're watching an away game on TV. My wife has even traveled with me to a few football away games, so I give her a lot of props for that. Basketball, on the other hand, she goes bananas.

Right...

The question was rate them in regards to SU sports.

Now I've missed many awesome nights at the bar due to frickin movie nights, date nights, stay home and be a good husband nights. I dont have a motorcycle anymore because she thought we needed couches, a bed, all that crap when we moved to Alaska. When it comes to SU sports tho, my lil lady does pretty well

Right...

You are not alone my friend. My wife believes that I am a member of a strange cult when it comes to Syracuse sports. On the positive side, she is suitably fearful of my obsession and has been known to go shopping when there is a Syracuse game on TV. She pretty much gives me a pass when it comes to game attendance and game watching. If there was a way to combine a Chanel runway show and a Syracuse sporting event, I might have a chance but alas, that is one reality show that will never be made. Karl Lagerfeld is creepy enough without an orange rhinestone three piece suit.

I have to say a "7" b/c she doesn't argue about it being a priority. If she wanted to go to games or expressed any interest in ever watching even a single foot/basket-ball game then it would be a 10. Then again, I am so intensely irrational about 'cuse sports that she might just quit the marriage rather than experience game day with me.