Class of 2024 - RB/CB Sam Cooper (PA) Committed to Stony Brook | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 RB/CB Sam Cooper (PA) Committed to Stony Brook

Forgot about this kid, glad we are still getting an OV but decommits usually end up elsewhere

Forgot about this kid, glad we are still getting an OV but decommits usually end up elsewhere
I thought I posted this earlier and I am sure it was more elegant, but I think the coaches no longer want to promise or hold a spot for kids who want to find something they think is better. In the portal era, needs and roster spots change too quickly to be tethered to a HS kid who doesn’t share that commitment. Portal kids have to risk their scholarships to find something better, I think Babers feels HS kids should too. Good for him. Glad we’re not going to be the stepping stone, hold my spot “safety school” that only stands to lose from a late decommitment or the optics if we move on from a commitment and can’t even explain it in the press. I think this is finally us and not the kid.

I thought I posted this earlier and I am sure it was more elegant, but I think the coaches no longer want to promise or hold a spot for kids who want to find something they think is better. In the portal era, needs and roster spots change too quickly to be tethered to a HS kid who doesn’t share that commitment. Portal kids have to risk their scholarships to find something better, I think Babers feels HS kids should too. Good for him. Glad we’re not going to be the stepping stone, hold my spot “safety school” that only stands to lose from a late decommitment or the optics if we move on from a commitment and can’t even explain it in the press. I think this is finally us and not the kid.
I would think it’s been that way for a while no? Once you’re commited you shouldn’t be going on other visits. If you are we are not holding a spot. If your exceptional well probably unofficially hold a spot though.

Hs kids are a crap shot in todays world. I believe Syracuse will continue to emphasize building its roster via transfers.

Good points

Hs kids are a crap shot in todays world. I believe Syracuse will continue to emphasize building its roster via transfers.
High School Recruits is and will be the foundation of all College Rosters with Portal Transfers being a significant yet smaller emphasis. What's the ratio of HS to Transfers on our team? 80/20? 70/30?

High School Recruits is and will be the foundation of all College Rosters with Portal Transfers being a significant yet smaller emphasis. What's the ratio of HS to Transfers on our team? 80/20? 70/30?
Think it may eventually end up being 60/40. You need high school players. However, if they decide to leave they will be replaced with transfers and juco.

The best teams will be built primarily on high school kids with a guy here or there cherry picked from a school like ours. I have no idea what schools like us will look like. You can't pass on really good high school kids because they may never be available again, but transfers may offer more stability becaue they're less likely to bolt once you have them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom