Class of 2020 - RB Cullen Coleman (NY) Verbal to Northwestern | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 RB Cullen Coleman (NY) Verbal to Northwestern

That wasn’t very encouraging. This staff is great but we don’t have anyone with connections to NYS recruiting. It shows in the results. The 2019 class was very good but I can never remember Syracuse not getting a single player from NYS in a class.

It isn’t all on the staff.

Players from the state and coaches from the state appear to have no state pride whatsoever. The quality of play in the state has never been great but I think it is really bad now. Almost all the D1 prospects these days are coming from NYC, Long Island and the Hudson Valley. I remember when Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo all produced multiple high level BCS prospects on a yearly basis, and areas like the Southern Tier, Utica and Albany weren’t very far behind.

These days, it is a good year when upstate NY produces 2 BCS level prospects. What happened to upstate NY football? I suspect most of the best athletes are playing other sports.

That wasn’t very encouraging. This staff is great but we don’t have anyone with connections to NYS recruiting. It shows in the results. The 2019 class was very good but I can never remember Syracuse not getting a single player from NYS in a class.

It isn’t all on the staff.

Players from the state and coaches from the state appear to have no state pride whatsoever. The quality of play in the state has never been great but I think it is really bad now. Almost all the D1 prospects these days are coming from NYC, Long Island and the Hudson Valley. I remember when Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo all produced multiple high level BCS prospects on a yearly basis, and areas like the Southern Tier, Utica and Albany weren’t very far behind.

These days, it is a good year when upstate NY produces 2 BCS level prospects. What happened to upstate NY football? I suspect most of the best athletes are playing other sports.

Griffiss AFB leaving Rome had a big impact on football in the Utica/Rome area. That was undeniably a pipeline of talent that is now permanently gone.

Is that in any random order or is that his rankings? cause thats a weird way to arrange them

Apparently he is an ok player. This could be what we get used to fighting for guys like this.

Of the many "signs" that our program has truly arrived and is perceived as a national power (Top 20 team, now and for the foreseeable future), I think wresting one of these high profile, in-state recruits from the blue bloods on his offer list will be very telling. We won't ever get them all for multiple reasons, but perception helps to shape reality and I fell we are very close to nabbing a truly elite prospect (let's say top 50-75). Even more, getting one of these players from out of state would be even better, as we did get Trill and Qadir in 2018. I'd like to think we could grab one top 100 player and maybe three (or more?) top 300 players on a consistent basis. We had two (per 2 4 7) in their top listings for 2018 but none for 2019. Like a lot of people here, I understand the whole rankings-shmankings attitude, and I believe our 2019 class is grossly underrated by those services, so it is, perhaps, a little hypocritical for me to want the ranked recruits, but on the national stage, these victories would be big for our national perception as far as players and also their coaches and families. We need to be in their heads before Dino and crew can even have a chance to sway their hearts.

Of the many "signs" that our program has truly arrived and is perceived as a national power (Top 20 team, now and for the foreseeable future), I think wresting one of these high profile, in-state recruits from the blue bloods on his offer list will be very telling. We won't ever get them all for multiple reasons, but perception helps to shape reality and I fell we are very close to nabbing a truly elite prospect (let's say top 50-75). Even more, getting one of these players from out of state would be even better, as we did get Trill and Qadir in 2018. I'd like to think we could grab one top 100 player and maybe three (or more?) top 300 players on a consistent basis. We had two (per 2 4 7) in their top listings for 2018 but none for 2019. Like a lot of people here, I understand the whole rankings-shmankings attitude, and I believe our 2019 class is grossly underrated by those services, so it is, perhaps, a little hypocritical for me to want the ranked recruits, but on the national stage, these victories would be big for our national perception as far as players and also their coaches and families. We need to be in their heads before Dino and crew can even have a chance to sway their hearts.
Very true.

All true, but we haven't really been "fighting" as of yet.

I think Marvin Harrison Jr. will be a real litmus test. I assume we'll be coming off another winning season, with bigger, better home crowds. He will have visited multiple times. He's a legacy. He can play in an offensive system that will all but guarantee him huge numbers.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that Alabama pulled in 25 Top 300 players. That can’t possible be correct can it? I know they’re Bama, but damn!

We need a few years getting our guys in the NFL before we can pull these guys consistently. Once they see we are placinhe there we will get these kids no doubt. Also think like this kid, pressure him and stay on him as much as possible and let him know he can make a name for himself and not be just another guy there.

At least he was smart enough to not go to Penn State. I take solace he is going to a school I will probably not watch play while he is there.

Good luck Cullen.

Staff is not doing well in NY this year. Hopefully another year of winning will produce a better outcome in 2021.

At least he was smart enough to not go to Penn State. I take solace he is going to a school I will probably not watch play while he is there.

Good luck Cullen.
Plus, and I hope he does well on and off the field, but he can now easily transfer “back home” to the ACC/SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom