Class of 2017 - RB Damone Drew (VA) Offered | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 RB Damone Drew (VA) Offered

I just feel bad for the kid and feel very confident that the staff isn't accepting the commit.

Obviously he didn't call the staff I think he should take some responsibility as well if this happens to be the case.

TFD out? Drew in? Little strange with no coach verification. Hope it works out for the kid.

Kids...
^^^^ SUforme agree these young men need to be more mindful of their situations but would also say it is important for these adult coaches to communicate clearly to avoid confusion...NOTE: not saying coaching staff did not communicate clearly, very likely they did. Just saying when a coach and player talk scholly's the coach needs to be clear and the player needs to be sure he or she is correctly hearing what is being said...I think we all would agree hopefully the young man lands in a good place wherever that may be...

Last edited:
OK- from what I can make out, this kid announced a commitment and the coaches didn't accept it?
Considering that that other kid recently verballed to MD, why wouldn't the coaches take Drew? Are they looking for bigger fish elsewhere?
I absolutely LOVED this kid's film, just wondering why we wouldn't accept the commit, if that's what's happened.

OK- from what I can make out, this kid announced a commitment and the coaches didn't accept it?
Considering that that other kid recently verballed to MD, why wouldn't the coaches take Drew? Are they looking for bigger fish elsewhere?
I absolutely LOVED this kid's film, just wondering why we wouldn't accept the commit, if that's what's happened.
I agree, this is strange. If we miss out on this kid, I'm going to be a little pissed. I absolutely trust the coaches, but I dunno who the hell they could possibly want instead.

B/C they might not have him or RB prioritized as a need, since they already have Strizenger?

I liked Drew's film, too, but maybe they just liked TFD more and would prefer to allocate the dwindling number of scholarships elsewhere.

B/C they might not have him or RB prioritized as a need, since they already have Strizenger?

I liked Drew's film, too, but maybe they just liked TFD more and would prefer to allocate the dwindling number of scholarships elsewhere.
I choose to look at it that way and as a positive situation. If the coaches are willing to turn down a player like this, they must have better (at least in their eyes, and I trust that) on the board that they feel confident about.

He is the same type of RB that SU has littered across the roster right now. They need a SYB and he isn't that type at all. I don't even believe they've talked to him recently, which means he committed without calling the coaches. It's unfortunate, but it happens. Another reason why high school coaches need to better educate their players on the process.

Fair enough, but looking at Tayon Fleet-Davis' film, it seems like the two are similar types of backs. There doesn't appear to be much difference in their running style. Is TFD so much "better" that they'd accept him, but not Drew?
Don't get me wrong, I like Striz at RB as well- and it sounds like that's where he'd like to play. Just wondering why an obviously talented back like Drew, who clearly wants to be here, would be turned away.
Anyway, all faith in HCDB and staff.

Fair enough, but looking at Tayon Fleet-Davis' film, it seems like the two are similar types of backs. There doesn't appear to be much difference in their running style. Is TFD so much "better" that they'd accept him, but not Drew?
Don't get me wrong, I like Striz at RB as well- and it sounds like that's where he'd like to play. Just wondering why an obviously talented back like Drew, who clearly wants to be here, would be turned away.
Anyway, all faith in HCDB and staff.

Probably a lot of it has to do with numbers. As of this moment there are 16 announced commitments. If the numbers hold the staff can only take 18 commits for the 2017 cycle. Until there is some attrition, possibly after the season there is no room for another RB.

Class of 2017 - 2017 Scholarship Rundown (Fishes and Loaves Report) [Updated 7/31/16]

Drew said his interactions with Hart waned over time. Michigan running back Allen Stritzinger filled one of SU's running back spots on June 26.

Drew and Hart only spoke "here and there" recently, but the shift wasn't enough for Drew to think his offer may be non-committable.

"The only time they were pushing hard was the time I visited," Drew said.

Brooke Point running backs coach Tommy Buzzo did not respond to a Facebook message sent Sunday night. Drew has not responded to multiple messages since deleting his tweet.

Why take TFD then? (it's not like he's parade all american)
I am just looking at the numbers. I'm not privy to their recruiting meetings or priority list. But I would think that as they evaluate the current players and who they have received commitments from they would make changes to the list of priorities.

I am just looking at the numbers. I'm not privy to their recruiting meetings or priority list. But I would think that as they evaluate the current players and who they have received commitments from they would make changes to the list of priorities.

agreed.

I wonder if TFD even had a commit-table offer. I dont think he did and he's been all Maryland over the past month anyways.

agreed.

I wonder if TFD even had a commit-table offer. I dont think he did and he's been all Maryland over the past month anyways.
And we all know that things will change after the season number wise. They could still take some more RBs.

And we all know that things will change after the season number wise. They could still take some more RBs.

Devito did say in his Q&A they wanted a RB and were pushing for TFD. We'll see what happens.

agreed.

Definitely commitable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom