Class of 2021 - RB Josh Hough ( MR PA FOOTBALL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20) | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 RB Josh Hough ( MR PA FOOTBALL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20)

How much will we see of Josh this year with Adams, Howard, Tucker and Lutz? I know Tucker was 5th string beginning last year and Lutz was a wide-out but hopefully we won't lose that many player this year.

Now if they were split into fullbacks and halfbacks...

How much will we see of Josh this year with Adams, Howard, Tucker and Lutz? I know Tucker was 5th string beginning last year and Lutz was a wide-out but hopefully we won't lose that many player this year.

If Josh works hard he will be on that field. Josh has something that not alot of backs have size 6'3 and half 235 pounds and speed and great footwork I gotta feeling he gonna make a big splash his freshman year !

If Josh works hard he will be on that field. Josh has something that not alot of backs have size 6'3 and half 235 pounds and speed and great footwork I gotta feeling he gonna make a big splash his freshman year !
I know for darn sure he won't be no 5th string lol Josh goal to be starter and he knows what he needs to do to achieve that ! Competition is good especially at Cuse coming off season they had

For which there are entire dedicated threads.

I know for darn sure he won't be no 5th string lol Josh goal to be starter and he knows what he needs to do to achieve that ! Competition is good especially at Cuse coming off season they had
It's great to have big goals, the quickest way for him to get there is to be a sponge, soak everything up, and execute when his number is called. I wish him all the luck and fortune. He has achieved the least at the college level of all of our running backs so he does have ground to make up, but as you say, coming off of last season competition on the field is a good thing for everyone.

That definitely should be his goal. Just realize it's very hard to come in and start at this level as a True Freshman and hope everyone is patient and doesn't get quickly discouraged if it doesn't happen year 1. It's not just the running- the blocking and playbook is huge and many newcomers struggle with this. There's a bunch of running backs who didn't play much at all their 1st couple of years in college and are looking really good on Sundays. Best of luck to Josh!

Back to the Csonka and Little days?

Back to the Csonka and Little days?

Why not. Defenses wouldn't be ready for it. it would be like the Wildcat in '08. And the halfback could still go out for passes. The FB could be replaced by an extra receiver on third down, etc. It's better than stacking 5 guys who can play at one spot and trying to get your entire running from that one spot.

Why not. Defenses wouldn't be ready for it. it would be like the Wildcat in '08. And the halfback could still go out for passes. The FB could be replaced by an extra receiver on third down, etc. It's better than stacking 5 guys who can play at one spot and trying to get your entire running from that one spot.
There is already a fb.

The Wildcat literally worked for a single game. Then it died forever.

Not to mention there's a ton of college teams using the FB. Elmore will be our FB, and Hough will likely redshirt. Nothing wrong with that.

If it was that simple all of college football would be running it. Not sure why you think that when 90% of college football run with one TB and rush for a ton of yards. NFL teams barely use a FB.

Last edited:
If it was that simple all of college football would be running it. Not sure why you thingk that when 90% of college football run with one TB and rush for a ton of yards. NFL teams barely use a FB.

All of college football and the pros ran it for years.

1621291453182.png

All of college football and the pros ran it for years.

View attachment 201246
Yes Butch and the Sundance. I'm a football junkie. You aint the only one that miss old school football. People figured out multiple ways to attack defenses. It’s not just the 3 yards and the cloud of dust anymore. Sports evolve. You enjoyed watching football back then and I get it but it doesnt mean the schemes of today are wrong.

Last edited:
Yes Butch and the Sundance. I'm a football junkie. You aint the only one that miss old school football. People figured out multiple ways to attack defenses. It’s not just the 3 yards and the cloud of dust anymore. Sports evolve. You enjoyed watching football back then and I get it but it doesnt mean the schemes of today are wrong.

Football is cyclical. The defenses of today are designed to stop what they are doing today. And Dino's running scheme is 3 yards and a cloud of dust if there ever was one. With no versatility and no deception. it requires a running quarterback to work unless you have and absolutely dominant offensive line. And that puts your quarterback at risk. It makes no more sense to have 5 talented running backs piled up at one position than it would to do that with 5 talented receivers.

Football is cyclical. The defenses of today are designed to stop what they are doing today. And Dino's running scheme is 3 yards and a cloud of dust if there ever was one. With no versatility and no deception. it requires a running quarterback to work unless you have and absolutely dominant offensive line. And that puts your quarterback at risk. It makes no more sense to have 5 talented running backs piled up at one position than it would to do that with 5 talented receivers.
Just because SU offense struggles it doesnt mean 90% percent of college football is struggling. lol SU's problem is development, play calling, S&C, game day adjustments etc.. Not the offensive scheme they choose to use. The teams that are beating us every year run similar schemes and concepts. So you can't say its the offense we run. Wake Forest took alot of Dino offense and since then have been hard to stop. You are better off just saying you have a Dino problem. Or you just dont like the way the game is played now. Then I would have to respect that.

Just because SU offense struggles it doesnt mean 90% percent of college football is struggling. lol SU's problem is development, play calling, S&C, game day adjustments etc.. Not the offensive scheme they choose to use. The teams that are beating us every year run similar schemes and concepts. So you can't say its the offense we run. Wake Forest took alot of Dino offense and since then have been hard to stop. You are better off just saying you have a Dino problem. Or you just dont like the way the game is played now. Then I would have to respect that.

Look at it this way: if in the past everyone wanted to have Butch and Sundance, the reason we don't have that now is because somebody decided to try something different. Things like the option and the nose tackle have appeared, disappeared and re-appeared. Most of what is done in any sport is invented early in its development. it's just repacked and re-popularized as the sport goes along and we call it 'evolution and thinks that that mans that anything we used to do must be bad.

I'm still amazed at what i see Michigan doing in the 1948 Rose Bowl. They seem to be running almost any play we have now. They are just doing it from the single wing. And they are doing a lot of things you don't see now at all. it looks far more sophisticated to me than Dino's "throw it to the sidelines and run up the middle" concept:

(3) 1948 Rose Bowl: Michigan 49 USC 0 - YouTube

I'm not saying we should adopt the single wing. I'm just saying that there are things they used to do that might work today because defenses won't be ready for them.

I like a balanced attack between running and passing. You can run pass plays to the halfback in a two back set that aren't dissimilar to the ones for the slot guy. And you don't have to be in the same set on every play. Trying to get all your rushing yards from one position works only with a dominant line or a dominant passing game that pulls the defense apart. We have neither. But we have a bunch of good running backs.

Our 1987 team got 614 yards from fullback Darryl Johnston which set us up to get 1,370 from Robert Drummond and Michael Owens at tailback. In 1998 we got 432 yards from Rob Konrad which set up Kyle McIntosh, James Mungro and Dee brown for 1,499 yards. In 2018, Eric Dungey essentially became our fullback, rushing for 949 yards, (754 net, with sacks), to set up Moe Neal and Dontae Strickland 1,484 yards. Last season our quarterbacks rushed for a combined 182 yards before sacks, there was no fullback and Jordan, Pierre, Tucker and Lutz totalled 1,058 yards. We were out-rushed 1,338-2,651 yards on the season. Now we've got Adams, Howard, Tucker, Lutz and Hough all stacked up at the same position with no fullback and we have no idea how much yards our quarterback will run for, (but it's unlikely to come close to what Dungey did).

Do we have five receivers as good as Adams, Howard, Tucker, Lutz and Hough? It will be great if we do - especially since we might see all of them on the field at the same time, not stacked up at a single position from which all the catches are supposed to come.

Last edited: