Class of 2021 - RB Josh Hough ( MR PA FOOTBALL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20) | Page 48 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 RB Josh Hough ( MR PA FOOTBALL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20)

Look at it this way: if in the past everyone wanted to have Butch and Sundance, the reason we don't have that now is because somebody decided to try something different. Things like the option and the nose tackle have appeared, disappeared and re-appeared. Most of what is done in any sport is invented early in its development. it's just repacked and re-popularized as the sport goes along and we call it 'evolution and thinks that that mans that anything we used to do must be bad.

I'm still amazed at what i see Michigan doing in the 1948 Rose Bowl. They seem to be running almost any play we have now. They are just doing it from the single wing. And they are doing a lot of things you don't see now at all. it looks far more sophisticated to me than Dino's "throw it to the sidelines and run up the middle" concept:

(3) 1948 Rose Bowl: Michigan 49 USC 0 - YouTube

I'm not saying we should adopt the single wing. I'm just saying that there are things they used to do that might work today because defenses won't be ready for them.

I like a balanced attack between running and passing. You can run pass plays to the halfback in a two back set that aren't dissimilar to the ones for the slot guy. And you don't have to be in the same set on every play. Trying to get all your rushing yards from one position works only with a dominant line or a dominant passing game that pulls the defense apart. We have neither. But we have a bunch of good running backs.

Our 1987 team got 614 yards from fullback Darryl Johnston which set us up to get 1,370 from Robert Drummond and Michael Owens at tailback. In 1998 we got 432 yards from Rob Konrad which set up Kyle McIntosh, James Mungro and Dee brown for 1,499 yards. In 2018, Eric Dungey essentially became our fullback, rushing for 949 yards, (754 net, with sacks), to set up Moe Neal and Dontae Strickland 1,484 yards. Last season our quarterbacks rushed for a combined 182 yards before sacks, there was no fullback and Jordan, Pierre, Tucker and Lutz totalled 1,058 yards. We were out-rushed 1,338-2,651 yards on the season. Now we've got Adams, Howard, Tucker, Lutz and Hough all stacked up at the same position with no fullback and we have no idea how much yards our quarterback will run for, (but it's unlikely to come close to what Dungey did).

Do we have five receivers as good as Adams, Howard, Tucker, Lutz and Hough? It will be great if we do - especially since we might see all of them on the field at the same time, not stacked up at a single position from which all the catches are supposed to come.
Absolutely. I agree. Part of evolution is taking what the past gives you and making it your own. Schemes are re created for modern players but football will always be about line play. You will always have your traps, counters, leads, power, sweeps. They run them now with less defenders in the box because of the emergence of slot wr's. It makes you defend the whole field. That's why there are specialized positions on defense now.

The zone read concept has change the run game forever. That's something they didn't have in the past. Inside and outside zone has been the most dominate run play for 20 years now. Simple blocking concept but its the most effective.

You dont need a athletic QB to have a good run game in a spread offense. Most teams have pocket passers and have great running attacks. Dual threat just makes it even more effective. 2018 run/ pass balance was good because is was a good team. We havent been good the last couple years because of various reasons not because of the scheme. I wouldn't use 2020 season for a comparison. The things that happened to us don't happen during a typical season. Injuries, opts outs etc... Wouldn't have matter if we ran the veer and shoot or the triple option with the lineman we were playing, 3rd QB, 7 true freshman defenders.

"Trying to get all your rushing yards from one position works only with a dominant line or a dominant passing game that pulls the defense apart"
I still dont understand what you are saying here. Everyone else is doing this and having great success.

From experience, you can't run two running back sets in a spread. If you do you are better off having 3 in the back field with a FB. If you think our RB's are that good and will be the difference in winning or losing then you are better off running a completely different scheme. Cant do both. Trying both will make you less effective because you have to spend time working on the other scheme. You will have to change your blocking footwork and techniques for certain plays. That will kills your offense overall. You will become a jack of all trades, master of none. You can add packages of some of that stuff you mention for short yardage, goal line, 3rd down situations but you cant put too much into it. One ex. Babers has heavy sets with power plays from under center, he's ran wildcats packages as well. I dont know if our running backs are good enough to force the coaches to run into a totally different scheme that they aren't accustomed to. Do we run block well enough to block 9 and 10 guys in the box every play? That's what going to happened when you go to these tight formations with multiple running backs.

Always enjoy your posts. That's why I try to give you a adequate response. You sound like a person that knows the game and its history. Those are people I normally converse with. I grew up playing in the 80's and 90's. I loved football prior to my time and I continue to enjoy it now as a coach.

Last edited:
This is the recruiting forum and the Josh Hough thread. If you want to have a discussion about the dynamics of football take it to the football forum.

Those dynamics will determine how Josh Hough might be used - or not used - this season and are therefore relevant to this thread. Perhaps when a player is listed on the SU roster, his recruiting thread should be shifted to the FB board as a general thread for comments on him.

That said, I think we've covered the issue for now and will move on - until my football preview in August, where the issue will likely start all over again. ;)

Last edited:
jasonhough i have a serious question if you get a chance.. every time we see a pic of your son he seems to have gotten bigger, taller and stronger... has there been plans discussed on what happens if he ends up out growing the RB position. If he ends up 6-5 270 a whole different world opens up.. DE?

i know a lot people are concerned bout Josh weight . Josh is flirting with 6’4 240 lbs . He was timed at 4.61 . He played this sr season at 258 . And was out running cb and safeties . Once he get with the professional guys at cuse he will be playing at 230 in my opinion. Nobody realizes how fast he really is at his size . He is in good shape and ready to roll on June 2nd ! Josh has been studying cuse offense non stop . Cuse got a special kid coming ! Go cuse

i know a lot people are concerned bout Josh weight . Josh is flirting with 6’4 240 lbs . He was timed at 4.61 . He played this sr season at 258 . And was out running cb and safeties . Once he get with the professional guys at cuse he will be playing at 230 in my opinion. Nobody realizes how fast he really is at his size . He is in good shape and ready to roll on June 2nd ! Josh has been studying cuse offense non stop . Cuse got a special kid coming ! Go cuse
I'm really looking forward to seeing your son in Orange. I don't know exactly when we'll see him at his best, but believe he'll have an impressive impact at some point. We'll have great competition in the RB group this year which is a great problem to have, but he will have to work hard for carries. Best wishes to all of us...

Can’t wait to see him run

I’m not concerned about his weight. I’m concerned about mine. He will be fine.

Im not going to pretend that hasnt crossed my mind. Just like you said the strength team will change his body. A leaner body will make him even more explosive and faster. He can end up being a 6'3 225 kid with 4.4 speed.

At 4.61 he's not running away from college players like he did those high school kids. He could use that weight to make sure people don't want to be in front of him.
He might drop some time as he drops weight.

Im not going to pretend that hasnt crossed my mind. Just like you said the strength team will change his body. A leaner body will make him even more explosive and faster. He can end up being a 6'3 225 kid with 4.4 speed.
Just want him to be a player who gets 4,5,6 yards a pop, and punishes defensive players. Then late in games just buries people.

I'm not worried about whether he is outrunning safeties and corners. Guys that big that bust 50 yard runs are rare and probably play for Alabama. If he can get through the holes quick (and if our line can give him those holes to hit) to pick up first downs while punishing tacklers and punch it in the endzone inside the 5, I'll be happy and the offense will be different.

jasonhough i have a serious question if you get a chance.. every time we see a pic of your son he seems to have gotten bigger, taller and stronger... has there been plans discussed on what happens if he ends up out growing the RB position. If he ends up 6-5 270 a whole different world opens up.. DE?
It never fails.

We simply cannot help ourselves

It never fails.

We simply cannot help ourselves
It never fails for you to try to point something out that isn’t there... my question was a simple one and it’s not crazy to think the kid hits another small growth spurt and ends up 6-5 or 6-6. Maybe you know better, but I haven’t seen many 6-6 RBs.

It never fails for you to try to point something out that isn’t there... my question was a simple one and it’s not crazy to think the kid hits another small growth spurt and ends up 6-5 or 6-6. Maybe you know better, but I haven’t seen many 6-6 RBs.
Im not arguing with what you said or attacking you, my fault.

Was more poking fun at the constant tendency for this board to say if a player adds a little more size maybe we can put him on the DL.

“with proper commitment and dedication to conditioning...”

Im not arguing with what you said or attacking you, my fault.

Was more poking fun at the constant tendency for this board to say if a player adds a little more size maybe we can put him on the DL.

“with proper commitment and dedication to conditioning...”

Memes don’t become memes all by themselves.

They need nourishment and support.

….Not unlike players who may one day grow large enough to play D-Line.

With proper dedication to S&C.

Putting Elmore aside this kid will be as big as Czonk and much faster. I dont remember a bigger back at SU since i have been following the team.

I'm just looking forward to seeing him play...big kid who loves to run and is hard to bring down. In general, I prefer not to compare kids too much. Everyone brings their own set of skills and energy. Mostly, I hope his career becomes one that we remember fondly. While I'm the patient sort, he's welcome to become an early contributor. We'll be watching his career with great interest...