RB position changes coming | Syracusefan.com

RB position changes coming

I would be in the Moe to the slot camp and possibly the Strick to safety if the staff is actually going to move him. Will be interesting to see.

It's going to be interesting to see what Moe's role will be going forward, I still think he could be a decent back, but he could move to another position and be successful.

I would be in the Moe to the slot camp and possibly the Strick to safety if the staff is actually going to move him. Will be interesting to see.

Agree 100%. He is a Philips clone, and his body type is more suited to WR than RB. Would love to see him move there, eventually replacing Erv after he graduates.

Agree 100%. He is a Philips clone, and his body type is more suited to WR than RB. Would love to see him move there, eventually replacing Erv after he graduates.
He was recruited as a Hybrid, correct?

I think Strickland is going to improve in the offense, but Neal in the slow makes a lot of sense.

if you move the 1-2 backs that leaves frederick and some FR. until we create holes RB wont matter other than holding onto the ball. isnt Perkins a slot guy now too?

Moe to the slot makes sense. Strick seems more of stop gap to my uneducated eye. He's no power back. And there must clearly be a good reason Fredericks fell off the chart. He doesn't fit the system as RB apparently.

He was recruited as a Hybrid, correct?

Yes. But in physique / style, he is similar to Erv Philips more so than a RB. I think he projects better there than as a between the tackles RB that the staff seems to be recruiting now.

Moe to the slot makes sense. Strick seems more of stop gap to my uneducated eye. He's no power back. And there must clearly be a good reason Fredericks fell off the chart. He doesn't fit the system as RB apparently.
Fredericks can't catch. They've been putting Strickland out wide a lot. Fredericks out wide is playing with 10 guys, unless you use him as a jailbreaker.

Fredericks can't catch. They've been putting Strickland out wide a lot. Fredericks out wide is playing with 10 guys, unless you use him as a jailbreaker.
Strickland has been moved out because our run game stinks. Moving out allows the middle to opened for Dungey runs, as we've seen it works better then our normal runs. Fredericks drops would bury him deeper on the bench at this point.

Despite a couple of drops this year (one a bad drop on that third down opportunity) Fredericks actually has real good hands and showed it on high school film and last year. Up until his senior year in high school he mostly played receiver and was very involved in the passing game last year as well.

I think the issue this year on the drops were more due to lack of playing time/pressure to make a play when he got that one opportunity and lost focus on the fundamental of the catch.

If this means that #22 will get some reps running the ball then I'm all for it!
Unfortunately, I think it might mean you'll see #22 transfer. He is a true soph and would still have 3 to play 2.

Why would you move Strickland out of the RB position? He'd be far more productive if the line could open up a hole for him to run through. He's not a guy that's going to beat you east/west, but if he's running between the tackles he could be very good. Just need to open lanes.

If I had to make a guesstimate based on the first 8 games this year...

Strickland stays at RB

Moe to Erv's role, understudy

Fredericks, possibly gone

J. Hill, probably gone

2 HS recruits in the 2017 class and probably a grad transfer/JUCO as well (We have A. Stritzinger already who was specifically recruited as a RB)

I think you have to be 4 deep at RB on the depth chart. So we know with G. Morris graduating, if someone is going to be moved, that means at least 2 RB's in this class if Fredericks stays. And maybe 3 anyway, maybe the staff would ideally like 5 at the position.

Why would you move Strickland out of the RB position? He'd be far more productive if the line could open up a hole for him to run through. He's not a guy that's going to beat you east/west, but if he's running between the tackles he could be very good. Just need to open lanes.

He lacks vision. After getting past the LOS, could have bounced it outside numerous times this year and doesn't see it.

Last edited:
My wishful thinking is Fredericks tears up spring ball and takes back the #1 RB spot.

Strickland replaces Brisley

Moe moves in behind Phillips

Bring in 2 blue chip Freshman running backs.

Stinks that we couldnt sway Hamilton or Killians last year who went to UCF.

Last edited:
exactly, ironhead heyward would struggle finding lanes with our current line.

He lacks visions. After getting past the LOS, could have bounced it outside numerous times this year and doesn't see it.

Tunnel vision. No confidence to bounce outside before hitting the line of scrimmage. Been plenty of room outside since opposing defensive ends most of the time collapse in. Dungey has availed himself a few times for good gains outside. Strickland never looks to the side always ahead when he gets the hand off.

exactly, ironhead heyward would struggle finding lanes with our current line.

I'm with you, money. I do not think the issue is that Strickland lacks vision or whatever else is being tossed around. The OL is struggling to create seams, not to mention they are almost always trying to run inside against a stacked box.

My wishful thinking is Fredericks tears up spring ball and takes back the #1 RB spot.

Strickland replaces Brisley

Moe moves in behind Phillips

Bring in 2 blue chip Freshman running backs.

Stinks that we couldnt sway Hamilton or Killians last year who went to UCF.
If Fredericks is inclined to follow the predictions of many on this board, wouldn't he transfer out between semesters?
My hope is that he gets the chance to play significant time this season, forcing Dino to decide whether he wants to sit down a 5 yards per carry guy (even if he can't catch).