Re: this board... I understand "Likes" but what are "Points" ??? | Syracusefan.com

Re: this board... I understand "Likes" but what are "Points" ???

TheCusian said:
There you go - I just gave you a football like. Real value. Not a gold coating of plastic basketball like ;).
You can take it back and step off your pedestal created on the football board.

albanycuse said:
You can take it back and step off your pedestal created on the football board.

Are you taking this serious? Hope not. That would say a lot about you. Loosen up.

I've been a fan of both equally since I was 10.

TheCusian said:
Are you taking this serious? Hope not. That would say a lot about you. Loosen up. I've been a fan of both equally since I was 10.
Your original statement was serious and i am just pointing out whats been mentioned before from the sour patch kids on the football side of things who think they stand superior. It does say a lot about me, it says I stand up for my brothers n sisters who call the bball board home.

What do you think is the average age of frequent posters on the basketball side versus the football side? I think that has a lot to do with the 'like' differential but just guessing. The basketball side definitely feels way younger / more immature - which makes sense given that recent alumni pay far more attention to basketball than football given the divergence of the two programs success. These millennials or whatever they are being called are used to constant praise and love social media - thus lots of likes for silly comments.

Last edited:
albanycuse said:
Your original statement was serious and i am just pointing out whats been mentioned before from the sour patch kids on the football side of things who think they stand superior. It does say a lot about me, it says I stand up for my brothers n sisters who call the bball board home.

Sorry you took it that way. I frequent both and consider myself a Syracuse fan. I enjoy both sides of the board.

I don't consider myself superior over anyone.

Likes mean nothing. I just want to see us win as much as possible in both sports (and lacrosse) - and to have fun talking about Syracuse sports.

And I'd call you a brother too. So, respectfully - take a deep breath.

TheCusian said:
Sorry you took it that way. I frequent both and consider myself a Syracuse fan. I enjoy both sides of the board. I don't consider myself superior over anyone. Likes mean nothing. I just want to see us win as much as possible in both sports (and lacrosse) - and to have fun talking about Syracuse sports. And I'd call you a brother too. So, respectfully - take a deep breath.

: )

cuseinchina said:
What do you think is the average age of frequent posters on the basketball side versus the football side? I think that has a lot to do with the 'like' differential but just guessing. The basketball side definitely feels way younger / more immature. These millennials or whatever they are being called are used to constant praise and love social media - thus lots of likes for silly comments.
The difference is the football side thinks everything serious, life or death. Bball side is more loose and accepting. Where we realize theres more important things than whats being said on an internet forum.

albanycuse said:
The difference is the football side thinks everything serious, life or death. Bball side is more loose and accepting. Where we realize theres more important things than whats being said on an internet forum.

Interesting. Go over there and say "Ennis is overrated" and then come here and say "I prefer the blue uni's" ... The board might implode on itself ;).

What do you think is the average age of frequent posters on the basketball side versus the football side? I think that has a lot to do with the 'like' differential but just guessing. The basketball side definitely feels way younger / more immature - which makes sense given that recent alumni pay far more attention to basketball than football given the divergence of the two programs success. These millennials or whatever they are being called are used to constant praise and love social media - thus lots of likes for silly comments.
What an absurd generalization. Some of us are diehard fans of both basketball and football, yet we still like to have fun and aren't necessarily all "recent grads."

One of the big reasons I think that the basketball side tends to be more goofy? We're the freaking #1 team in the country and have been top 10 almost nonstop for the last four or five years. There's less to pick apart and talk about in basketball than there is with a football team that has undergone coaching changes and is still trying to re-establish itself on a national and, hell, even a regional level. On the basketball side, there's only so many different ways to say "holy crap, we're good" before you get bored and start joking around and having fun.

What an absurd generalization. Some of us are diehard fans of both basketball and football, yet we still like to have fun and aren't necessarily all "recent grads."

One of the big reasons I think that the basketball side tends to be more goofy? We're the freaking #1 team in the country and have been top 10 almost nonstop for the last four or five years. There's less to pick apart and talk about in basketball than there is with a football team that has undergone coaching changes and is still trying to re-establish itself on a national and, hell, even a regional level. On the basketball side, there's only so many different ways to say "holy crap, we're good" before you get bored and start joking around and having fun.

Was definitely a generalization and an opinion. I go to more basketball games than football games, but the level of commentary on the football board is in my opinion way better - I definitely rarely contribute anything worthwhile so not speaking for myself just stating a personal preference.

But the main point was trying to come up with an explanation for 'like inflation' on the basketball board - I think it's plausible. People under 30 like praise, teamwork, and social media - people under 30 probably tend to like Syracuse basketball more than Syracuse football just because of the product they were exposed to while at school. Generalizations - yup. True on average - probably.

1653281_711875572186203_1288214662_n.jpg

I think points are based on the number of total posts (not quality:rolleyes:) a poster has on Syracusefan.com.
Well, unless you factor in those of us who excel when it comes to quality AND quantity.

Excuse me, I have my own back to pat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom