Real Talk...Expectations for tomorrow | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Real Talk...Expectations for tomorrow

Here's why we win this game:
1) We are a more balanced team-We can now score points and play some Defense. As has been documented, Clemson has struggled to score. We just need to not give them easy points.
2) We play well on these Friday Night games at the Dome
3) Dino always does his best coaching against Clemson-He generally will let it all out and play less conservatively. He seems to always get the guys ready for this game.
4) GT and BC nearly beat Clemson at their place with their backup QB's-We have them at our place

My only concern is our health with the short week and them coming off their bye, but gosh darn it, I got a feeling about this game and it's never wrong :0- Let's go Orange!!!

We should have a chance against them, as long as Elliott is the OC they will look incompetent, out O will likely struggle against Vanables D as every team who has played them has, Georgia only scored 3 points on O. Special teams might be the difference maker which with our returners could favor us but that punter has me worried. Still annoying to me how babers already has all the excuses ready to go in case we lose, goes on and on about how many stars they have etc.

They aren't that good now as they've lost 20 transfers and Dabo refuses to use the portal, also hurts when the teams has everyone of Dabo's, Venables, and Herbstreits kids on the team when they don't belong anywhere near a CFB Playoff contender. We should have a chance but with DB likely having to make a late game important decision I am afraid this one will end up similar to the three prior to it.

feel overly confident about this one, with how their offense has been playing our D could force some turnovers and give us short fields, if we can capitalize on that and put 7 on the board no reason we can’t get out with a W. Punting is a genuine concern for me however, if he shanks a few that could be exactly what a ailing clemson O needs. this might not be your usual clemson team, but it would still feel really good to beat the blank out of them. let’s get it. 4-3…

What worries me about this game is Clemson has had a week off to really regain composure and try to figure things out.

Dabo is a great coach and that’s what great coaches do when they are given opportunities.

Reminder this “awful” Clemson team has two loses in OT. One of them against the undisputed #1 team in the nation. The other against a HUNGRY NC State team at NC State.

I wouldn’t write off this Clemson team quite so fast.

It’s going to be a battle for sure…

It really does come down to our health on offense.

how banged up the O, Shrader and Sean are.

This is a signature game for Clemsons season. If they lose the game they are completely done for the year. They have had two weeks to prepare and get healthy. We are coming off back to back loses on tough physical games we should have won with better coaching. Our team is badly beat up. We are without our top WR. If we win this game it will be an amazing accomplishment.
Kinda like the FSU game

It really does come down to our health on offense.

how banged up the O, Shrader and Sean are.
wait they are hurt? If they are hurt and the line is dinged up I feel like this is a 28-3 game for Clemson. They will be ready

Dude shut up. Literally the most trash response when talking about sports. Everyone knew what he meant.
No, it’s a stupid statement. It’s the same as when people are like “Well let’s focus on the next game before thinking ahead” it doesn’t matter what we do, we can talk about anything in anyway.

Let me help ease everyone's concern about this game...Elliott is still the OC therefore we won't score over 14 points. Hope that helps.

I expect Clemson will defend us like they always do. They are going to put 8 men in the box, play soft press coverage on the WRs and gradually tighten that coverage. Their aim will be to take away the run and force us to beat them with the pass.

They have great CBs and if we have learned anything this year so far, our WRs are not great getting open, even against good CBs.

We haven’t been able to run on them except when Dungey was on the team. Shrader at QB is going to make it easier to get some holes for him or Tucker. Garrett has shown he is good at reading when to keep it and when to hand it off, but you can bet Clemson has seen that on film and has been practicing to stop that for the last 2 weeks.

I think they will take away the screen in the flat to Tucker, like everyone else in the ACC has done. They will play Sean a great deal of attention, even as a receiver.

I expect us to mix it up some. Lots of runs by Tucker and Shrader. Some short passes to Tucker and Jackson. This might be a game Cooper gets targeted a bunch on short routes. I like a lot of what Gilbert has done with the offense….one quibble is the lack of throws to Benson, especially over the middle or down the sidelines.

We will have man coverage a lot and will surely take a number of cracks at throwing it long. Hopefully the OL can block long enough for Garrett to get throws off and we can complete a couple. If we can get a lead, Clemson is in trouble. It is going to get very loud and you don’t want an inexperienced QB who is struggling to make to deal with the noisiest stadium in the country.

I expect another close, hard fought game that comes down to the end of the game. Wish we had our bye week last week; we were banged up before Wake and got a lot more banged up during the game, while Clemson had a chance to rest up and heal.

No, it’s a stupid statement. It’s the same as when people are like “Well let’s focus on the next game before thinking ahead” it doesn’t matter what we do, we can talk about anything in anyway.
Heaven forbid people are so invested in something and feel a part of it that they speak like that.

You sound super cool and fun to hang out with. Grow up.

I expect Clemson will defend us like they always do. They are going to put 8 men in the box, play soft press coverage on the WRs and gradually tighten that coverage. Their aim will be to take away the run and force us to beat them with the pass.

They have great CBs and if we have learned anything this year so far, our WRs are not great getting open, even against good CBs.

We haven’t been able to run on them except when Dungey was on the team. Shrader at QB is going to make it easier to get some holes for him or Tucker. Garrett has shown he is good at reading when to keep it and when to hand it off, but you can bet Clemson has seen that on film and has been practicing to stop that for the last 2 weeks.

I think they will take away the screen in the flat to Tucker, like everyone else in the ACC has done. They will play Sean a great deal of attention, even as a receiver.

I expect us to mix it up some. Lots of runs by Tucker and Shrader. Some short passes to Tucker and Jackson. This might be a game Cooper gets targeted a bunch on short routes. I like a lot of what Gilbert has done with the offense….one quibble is the lack of throws to Benson, especially over the middle or down the sidelines.

We will have man coverage a lot and will surely take a number of cracks at throwing it long. Hopefully the OL can block long enough for Garrett to get throws off and we can complete a couple. If we can get a lead, Clemson is in trouble. It is going to get very loud and you don’t want an inexperienced QB who is struggling to make to deal with the noisiest stadium in the country.

I expect another close, hard fought game that comes down to the end of the game. Wish we had our bye week last week; we were banged up before Wake and got a lot more banged up during the game, while Clemson had a chance to rest up and heal.
Lets not forget special teams. I hope that our punter finds his foot tonight

Lets not forget special teams. I hope that our punter finds his foot tonight
He's been injured the last couple weeks hasn't he? It really blows though that when we trade punts with teams that we are giving up 20 yards in field position.

I don't know what to expect. Has our offense woken only up because we haven't seen a good defense yet or is it actually good? Is the light gonna flip on for Clemson's offense or are they just bad? Is Venables gonna design a defense that will account for both Tucker's and Shrader's running? Will our passing game improve and give the defense something to worry about that they didn't plan for?

So, Wake's D is "not good"?

FSU's pass D is not good, but their DL and run D were/are excellent.

I get that Clemson's D has a lot of talent, the DE's and LB's in particular.
But, clearly they aren't unbeatable.

For me Clemson QB is the wild card. Kid obviously had a better supporting cast last year, but he had some huge games last year in tough spots. He can't be as bad as he's played. We need to win the QB battle.

For me Clemson QB is the wild card. Kid obviously had a better supporting cast last year, but he had some huge games last year in tough spots. He can't be as bad as he's played. We need to win the QB battle.

Can't let this kid have a 10 - 13 type of passing first half. Need to disrupt him, and not let him get into a groove. Hit him early and often.

Hoping we are able to move the sticks consistently like we did against FSU and WF, despite their defensive talent. Really hoping our banged up OL -- Davis, Bleich, Servais, Bergeron -- can gut it out today and perform at a high level.

And that we win the turnover battle.

I hope not, because if we do were behind or GS is injured.

I don't have a lot of faith that Shrader can stay healthy running the ball 29 times. He was knocked around a lot last week. Looked like a heavy weight fighter going into the 12th round.