Reality Check... | Syracusefan.com

Reality Check...

newmexicuse

All Conference
Well, the good news for me was that the game was not on any channel that I get, so I did not have to go through the torment of watching it.

It is no secret that we will struggle when one of our big three has an off game. There is probably nobody we beat in the remaining schedule when two of our big three have off games. So, that begs the question, when one or two of our big three are having off games, it it just one of those inevitable things or is there something the coach can do to get them kick started ? I observed from the box score that G & Trevor played a total of 79 of a possible 80 minutes. There are times when you just have to sit guys so they can take a step back & just maybe they can come back & get themselves going. Yes, I know sometimes they will just play themselves through periods of bad play, but I got to think a few minutes of pine time next to Jimmy wouldn't hurt more often than not.

Speaking of our big three, we also have to realize their limitations.

1. Trevor - Let's be real with this kid. He is basically a hard working, but average athlete that has one excellent skill. There will be times when D's can shut him down and there will be times when he is just off in his shot. There is no way he is going to be reasonably hot every game. All that being said, there is still no reason why he can't be more multi-dimensional. Yesterday he only took two shots inside the trey line. Can't live with that in games when he is missing treys. The key thing here, is that yesterday's game was a one & done off game anomaly and that it doesn't portend a serious multi-game slump as we have witnessed in the past. I still say the Coach has to recognize when things are off kilter in his game & give the kid a few minutes to re-group on the bench. He is one player who badly needs that re-grouping time when he is off.

2. G - Well, from what I read he had a bad first half & his final stat line was below average but not horrible. This is his first season as one of the team's primary scoring options. He is an above average athlete with somewhat above average skills, but he is far from an uber-athlete who can single handedly dominate games. Plus he doesn't have any particular go to move when we really need a basket. His efficiency comes within the team framework. When the team is off kilter, it will be hard for him to excel by himself. Things get tougher for him when Trevor is off & the floor doesn't stretch & lanes close down.

3. Rak - I guess his major limitation is that he is not Wilt the Stilt who can go out there & score 100 points by himself in a game. I continue to be blown away not only by what he has achieved so far this season, but by his consistency game in and game out.

Outside the big three, well, at least statistically, help came from Tyler off the glass and from Joseph. Speaking of Kaleb he still managed a 2 to 1 assist to TO ratio, very difficult to do in a game when any potential assist giving passes are followed by missed shots. He also scored 12 - how hug would that be going forward if he could come close to that on a reasonably consistent basis. I would like to see more O aggressiveness from Tyler - he should be scoring close to double digits on average, especially when he is getting all of those o boards. he has got to first look to take it back up strong & only kick out if he really has no shot.

The remainder - Still no help from Buss or BJ. Are they really that bad ??? I guess the jury is still out, but it may be rapidly coming to a verdict.

Reality check...JB will always play his top players no matter how bad a game they are having on offense. Especially when they are head and shoulders above the next guy on the bench. JB would rather live with a guy having b ad offensive game and plays defense the way he wants versus a guy who MIGHT add a few points but gives up more than he scores. The down guy might hit his next 4 in a row. Or 5 out of 7 FT.

Well, the good news for me was that the game was not on any channel that I get, so I did not have to go through the torment of watching it.

1. Trevor - Let's be real with this kid. He is basically a hard working, but average athlete that has one excellent skill. There will be times when D's can shut him down and there will be times when he is just off in his shot. There is no way he is going to be reasonably hot every game. All that being said, there is still no reason why he can't be more multi-dimensional. Yesterday he only took two shots inside the trey line. Can't live with that in games when he is missing treys. The key thing here, is that yesterday's game was a one & done off game anomaly and that it doesn't portend a serious multi-game slump as we have witnessed in the past. I still say the Coach has to recognize when things are off kilter in his game & give the kid a few minutes to re-group on the bench. He is one player who badly needs that re-grouping time when he is off.

If you had actually been able to see the game, it would have been apparent that Clemson game-planned to take away Cooney, much as St. John's did earlier this season. The referees also allowed a tremendous amount of contact on the blocks, which made it difficult to ride Christmas for points for 40 minutes (he did get 21 points, but only because he was tremendously efficient with his touches -- 10 for 13 from the field and only 2 trips to the line). All in all, it was a nice game plan by Clemson helped by a game officiated in a manner which enabled them to take away SU's two biggest offensive weapons.

Last edited:

I observed from the box score that G & Trevor played a total of 79 of a possible 80 minutes. There are times when you just have to sit guys so they can take a step back & just maybe they can come back & get themselves going. Yes, I know sometimes they will just play themselves through periods of bad play, but I got to think a few minutes of pine time next to Jimmy wouldn't hurt more often than not.

Wow. You are taking this to a whole 'nother level.

Your hoops analysis is so rapier-sharp that you no longer need to even see the game to provide Jimmy with the insight he needs.

All you need is the box score.

Outstanding.

Still no help from Buss or BJ. Are they really that bad ??? I guess the jury is still out, but it may be rapidly coming to a verdict.

But wait...weren't you one of the posters relentlessly insisting that Buss and BJ should have played last year?????

BTW, Patterson is helping - on the defensive end. And BJ will be fine. He just needs to get stronger...

You should also note how much the 20-25 minutes a game is helping Roberson. 2-3 or 3-5 or whatever you were advocating for last year won't do it.

blind man here telling everyone that their shoes doesnt match their purse.

what was it like when you were walking on the moon??

tell us about it...

Reality check...JB will always play his top players no matter how bad a game they are having on offense. Especially when they are head and shoulders above the next guy on the bench. JB would rather live with a guy having b ad offensive game and plays defense the way he wants versus a guy who MIGHT add a few points but gives up more than he scores. The down guy might hit his next 4 in a row. Or 5 out of 7 FT.

I'm not sure I get what you are saying. Is this a positive or a negative? "JB will play his top players especially when they are way better than anybody else he has." What would you like him to do?? He gave Patterson and BJ as shot in that Clemson game, both weren't very good. It was a What game, nothing more. If Cooney lapses into a significant slump you will see a repeat of last year (only incrementally worse). If Cooney is on, we can beat anybody, if he is off we can beat nobody. New boss, same as the old boss.

I'm not sure I get what you are saying. Is this a positive or a negative? "JB will play his top players especially when they are way better than anybody else he has." What would you like him to do?? He gave Patterson and BJ as shot in that Clemson game, both weren't very good. It was a What game, nothing more. If Cooney lapses into a significant slump you will see a repeat of last year (only incrementally worse). If Cooney is on, we can beat anybody, if he is off we can beat nobody. New boss, same as the old boss.
I'm not saying if it is a positive or a negative. The reality of the situation is what it is. In league play, how the other team is playing or how well the best are playing, JB plays his best the most and if the bench doesn't meet his standards mostly on defense, they don't play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom