Really Impressed with a Couple of Players | Syracusefan.com

Really Impressed with a Couple of Players

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
And, not the usual suspects although I don't mean to take anything away from them.

1. Coker - Johnny on the spot, or rather Lewelyn on the spot, to gobble up that muffed punt. And, a tough catch that a WR would be proud of, and his blocking has always been good. He's a really good athlete. Maybe the staff can find a bigger role for him in the Spring/Summer?
2. Ameen-Moore - ran with power and determination. Another year in the conditioning program and he could be a beast.

agreed thought that both played well. I also was impressed with Desir and Kobena. Kobena showed very solid blocking skills and Desir just has the cocky attitude that you like to see in a return guy.

2. Ameen-Moore - ran with power and determination. Another year in the conditioning program and he could be a beast.

Will definitely be interesting to see him after another year in the S&C program. I mean, he still really has to remake his body, IMO, yet he looks like he's got some talent in spite of his conditioning.

And, not the usual suspects although I don't mean to take anything away from them.

1. Coker - Johnny on the spot, or rather Lewelyn on the spot, to gobble up that muffed punt. And, a tough catch that a WR would be proud of, and his blocking has always been good. He's a really good athlete. Maybe the staff can find a bigger role for him in the Spring/Summer?

If the staff can get Coker understanding what the defense is doing, it would solve a major problem next year at middle linebacker. I still want Ashton moved there, even if that puts me in the minority. He's built like a LB, and the offense may have enough weapons now. #'s problem at LB.

AAM was down to around 220 I think at the start of the season. But not winning the job (or the backup), caused him to balloon back up. This was from a Rahme article back when the Tank first started. So it's not necessarily another year in S&C, it's more about keeping him in check. Still moves pretty well for that size.

AAM changing his body will have more to do with eating than S&C. I'm sure he's doing all of the same lifting and running as everyone else. He's just gonna always be one of those guys that will be a soft unless he's disciplined with his diet. But hey, it worked for Jerome Bettis.

Yeah, as was discussed a while back on here, he may never have that 'chiseled' look and that's fine, not everybody has to be that to play effectively. And his weight has always fluctuated since he was young. But he's strong as an ox. Did you see the weight room records for this season? He was in the top 5 of almost every category for skill position players. He will always be around +/-230lbs, which is fine. How he's going to get reps going forward is the big question. There is going to be a serious log jam at rb.

They could find a bigger role for him if he could learn the playbook. He's a good athlete but his brain is keeping him off the defensive side of things.

agreed thought that both played well. I also was impressed with Desir and Kobena. Kobena showed very solid blocking skills and Desir just has the cocky attitude that you like to see in a return guy.
Someone (maybe Bnoro) mentioned that Kobena was the best blocking WR. He crushed that safety against L'ville and I'm not sure if he ever returned.

AAM changing his body will have more to do with eating than S&C. I'm sure he's doing all of the same lifting and running as everyone else. He's just gonna always be one of those guys that will be a soft unless he's disciplined with his diet. But hey, it worked for Jerome Bettis.

Bettis he isn't;)

How he's going to get reps going forward is the big question. There is going to be a serious log jam at rb.

I disagree on how important it is for him to slim down a bit, but it may be irrelevant b/c of the point you make above. Adding Morris and McFarlane, assuming he stays at RB, to the mix with Smith/Gulley/Broyld makes for a very crowded backfield. Of course, I suppose there are worse problems to have.

Coker has been awesome on specials this season. Really glad the coaches threw him a bone. He's this teams version of JR Johnson.

AAM displayed really quick feet on one of his cuts. He's just a year behind Smith so his only chance to be featured as the big back will be when he's a senior or an injury to Smith. And when he's a senior it'll still be tough if August Edwards shows up here.

It's going to be real interesing next year when adding Morris and McFarlane to the mix with Gully, Smith and AAM. I assume Broyld will be moved and then enters AE and possibly Laray Smith.

Coker has been awesome on specials this season. Really glad the coaches threw him a bone. He's this teams version of JR Johnson.

AAM displayed really quick feet on one of his cuts. He's just a year behind Smith so his only chance to be featured as the big back will be when he's a senior or an injury to Smith. And when he's a senior it'll still be tough if August Edwards shows up here.

It's going to be real interesing next year when adding Morris and McFarlane to the mix with Gully, Smith and AAM. I assume Broyld will be moved and then enters AE and possibly Laray Smith.
Phat...I think Smith is just a soph eligibility-wise. I could be wrong.

Phat...I think Smith is just a soph eligibility-wise. I could be wrong.

Depends what happens with his true freshman year. He played in 2 games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom