Reason for optimism | Syracusefan.com

Reason for optimism

Oh sweet, sweet Thump Belton. You are missed.

Once had 39 carries in a row without losing yards (which probably spanned two seasons), but his finest accomplishment is having that Hall of Fame name.

Bronko Nagurski salutes you.

I was just looking at the recuiting classes over the years and the 2018 class might be the best since 2001. We all know that was a long time ago.

Syracuse 2001 Football Commits
If I had a dollar......

di-biase-sr-1787460.jpg

Looks like we were offering short db's, lineman well under 300, and big, nfl size linebackers

If I had a dollar...

di-biase-sr-1787460.jpg

This is *exactly* the kind of news you should be happy about. This board can convince ourselves of every recruiting class - but it's actually being rated higher by 3rd parties and you downplay it.

Weak, man.

That class basically started and kept with the theme of our classes over the past 15 years typically losing their top players because they never made it here or didn't last long. If I remember correctly, Howard, Greene, McClain, Wyche and Gregory were the top rated recruits out of that class and 2 of the 5 amounted to nothing.

Outside of Lacasse and Belton, not much else to brag about in that class.

I think Phat has it right in looking at the 2000 class that had Morant, for example. Or even the 2002 class that had Damien Rhodes. That class narrowly missed having NJ recruits Tamba Hali and Shadu Moore in it, who both had SU in their final 2 schools. Had we landed those two, that class probably would have been top 30ish as they were both Army AA and top 250 recruits. Hali was actually top 100. That really signaled the regression in NJ recruiting for P & D.

Last edited:
This is *exactly* the kind of news you should be happy about. This board can convince ourselves of every recruiting class - but it's actually being rated higher by 3rd parties and you downplay it.

Weak, man.

News? It was one guy posting his opinion after looking over some old classes. FAKE NEWS! Also rivals has us at 63 overall, last in the ACC.

News? It was one guy posting his opinion after looking over some old classes. FAKE NEWS! Also rivals has us at 63 overall, last in the ACC.

So your opinion is that this class is *the same* as past classes, despite the evidence?

So your opinion is that this class is *the same* as past classes, despite the evidence?
What evidence are you referring to specifically? Rankings? Offer sheets? Highlight Vids?

What evidence are you referring to specifically? Rankings? Offer sheets? Highlight Vids?

At this point referring to Rivlz when it comes to Syracuse recruiting is irrelevant. Look at every other site, combined with a little common sense, a quick glance at each commits offer sheets, and you can pretty easily conclude that this is by far the best recruiting class in the last 15-20 years. I know people used to puff up HCSS recruiting prowess, but that was severely overblown. All things considered (facilities, conference affiliation) and you can easily summarize that HCSS was probably a little less effective recruiter than Marrone (who doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves). What Babers is doing with this class blows everything out of the water from any class of the last 2 regimes, as well as Babers first 2 classes. This class is loaded with big, talented, athletes, that fit the offensive and defensive systems, from top to bottom . To say this class is more of the same is just ignorant.

Rivals is a joke, even though i do have a subscription
Not a recruiting numbers guy but even i was a little shocked at our low Rivals ranking. Meanwhile, 24-Se7en has SU at #38.