Reasons why nba draft board dont mean jack chit to me | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Reasons why nba draft board dont mean jack chit to me

Early can rebound and run. In the right system he's a 3, with time at the 4 when the team goes small.

I have no idea why you thought I said Early was more athletic than Grant. Grant might be the best pure athlete in the draft if he comes out.

Sorry, the athlete comment wasn't geared towards you. I just happened to quote you when I responded to everyone's posts on the topic. One of the other posters mentioned that he thought Early was more athletic.

I don't think Early can play as a small-ball 4 at 6'7" with a short wing-span though. He'd get eaten alive.

That's the thing I disagree about in terms of JG's pro potential. I don't think his athleticism is otherworldly like many seem to. He may look the part in college when his extremely long arms and ability to make up ground mask his true abilities. I don't think he's a smooth athlete (I think Early is one to compare) as the majority of his movements are a bit herky jerky and his overall game just isn't smooth. He struggles to get good shots up. While it is a skill being able to finish inside from awkward angles/positions, I just don't see how that can cut it in the NBA. There are dozens of athletes like him, or better, heading to the pros every year. He has long arms that many kids don't have, but the rest of his game doesn't blow anyone away. And I'm not sure about his defense. I don't know if I can ever see him covering KD, George, etc, nor do I think he can guard NBA PF's. He's a tweener, IMO. An NBA PF type game, but an NBA SF frame.

If this were a perfect world, I'd tell JG to bulk up, work on his interior moves and mid range game and become an NBA stretch 4. His arm length, coupled with added bulk and strength could make him a great rebounder at the next level.

I disagree about him not being an elite athlete, but I agree that his best-case scenario is to bulk up and fill out his frame and play as a face-up 4. Been saying that all year. If he can get stronger, there's no reason he can't at least be a Blake Griffin-level defender (another undersized face-up 4 who has become a solid defender this year), and his ball-handling and quickness would turn into strengths as a 4 compared to being a 3. I think he could be really difficult to stop if he can bulk up.

He had plenty of chances and mostly played scared against a smaller, seemingly overmatched team. That was a game he should have absolutely thrived in and he just did not show up.

He was wide open for easy dunks pretty much the entire first half. He and Christmas both. Our team is just horrific at seeing when and how to feed the big men. Both did a great job sealing their man for easy buckets.

Grant has an erratic spin move that most times when he release his shot it is usually below the rim and no one knows where the ball is going. Pure athletes play more under control than just highlite reel dunks that came early in the season when we played at our peak.

He needs to get stronger, develop a pull up jumper and a turn around fade shot to play in the NBA,not the "D" league which I see where he would be headed. KJO had a much better game for the NBA.

Ennis is not a good inside passer at this point to lead a team in the NBA.

Last edited:
Responding in this thread was my mistake..with all due respect...this board's NBA knowledge was exposed when many of you said MCW wasn't ready. NBA's a different game which many in this thread has said you don't even like. I gave my opinion on why Grant would be drafted before Early and people are saying stuff like he played a bad game vs Dayton. Stuff like that just isnt a factor. Kyrie Irving was #1 and played like 5 games.

He can shoot and is a better offensive player than grant. I am talking.pure college player.
We aren't talkign about college. Scottie Reynolds was a tremendous college player.

jdubs30 said:
We aren't talkign about college. Scottie Reynolds was a tremendous college player.

I am talking about college. F the nba and the "potential" they have. Right now i would take early. I could care less what happens to any of these guys once they leave college.

Responding in this thread was my mistake..with all due respect...this board's NBA knowledge was exposed when many of you said MCW wasn't ready. NBA's a different game which many in this thread has said you don't even like. I gave my opinion on why Grant would be drafted before Early and people are saying stuff like he played a bad game vs Dayton. Stuff like that just isnt a factor. Kyrie Irving was #1 and played like 5 games.
It was obvious to anyone who watched Irving in those 5 games that he was (is) a flat-out stud. Most on here seemed ready to admit by the end of last year that MCW was clearly ready for the league.
Can't compare Ennis or Grant with guys like Irving and MCW.

It was obvious to anyone who watched Irving in those 5 games that he was (is) a flat-out stud. Most on here seemed ready to admit by the end of last year that MCW was clearly ready for the league.
Can't compare Ennis or Grant with guys like Irving and MCW.

I think you meant MCW:)

He had plenty of chances and mostly played scared against a smaller, seemingly overmatched team. That was a game he should have absolutely thrived in and he just did not show up.

He took 3 freaking shots all game. But he had plenty of chances... Give me a break, did you watch the game? Two people touched the entire game, Fair and Ennis.

I got annoyed at these board rankings all season, and wondered aloud if they had any better record of success than the top 25 team rankings. Has anyone done a "SWC" and tracked their success at various points in the season, and/or when they make their final predictions?

He took 3 freaking shots all game.
And there you have it :)
(to go along with his 1 offensive rebound off of 33 SU misses, against an undersized team)

pearl31 said:
And there you have it :) (to go along with his 1 offensive rebound off of 33 SU misses, against an undersized team)

I'll give you the offensive rebounds but he needed to get the ball more. Our offense worked so much better with him getting the ball.