Rebound, Rebound, Rebound | Syracusefan.com

Rebound, Rebound, Rebound

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Undefeated (14-0?) when we out rebound our opponents.

SDSU top to bottom is more offensively efficient than us. They run a consistently impressive defense as well.

They have multiple players who can sink the 3 and score at all levels. If we’re going to win it must start on the boards.

It’s imperative that Q and Marek avoid foul trouble, and that Alan and/or Robert are engaged early on the boards.

I don’t think we win a shootout vs this SDSU team, we’re too vulnerable to extended scoreless play. We need to be aggressive and take it to them within 15 ft. Guerrier and Griffin are fantastic rebounders. Get the Aztecs in foul trouble, and earn more second chance opportunities than we allow.

Need to physically wear down this Aztec team and thats done on the boards and limiting mental errors on D. We cannot allow the Aztecs second and third chances on O. Like Duke, they will make the buckets given the extra chances.

Last edited:

SDSU top to bottom is more offensively efficient than us. They run a consistently impressive defense as well.

They have multiple players who can sink the 3 and score at all levels. If we’re going to win it must start on the boards.

It’s imperative that Q and Marek avoid foul trouble, and that Alan and/or Robert are engaged early on the boards.

I don’t think we win a shootout vs this SDSU team, we’re too vulnerable to extended scoreless play. We need to be aggressive and take it to them within 15 ft. Guerrier and Griffin are fantastic rebounders. Get them in foul trouble, and earn more second chances opportunities than we allow.

Need to physically wear down this Aztec team and thats done on the boards and limiting mental errors on D. We cannot allow the Aztecs second and third chances on O. Like Duke, they will make the buckets given the extra chances.
Lot of truth here, although I don't think we are any more apt to scoring droughts than any other team outside of the Top 10 or so.

But you underlying point is that rebounding is fundamental, and to me at least, this flows from the defensive mindset we bring to the game and opponent. We cannot afford to "feel out" SDSU and fall behind 15-4. They're too good. I hope we come out with a business-like attitude and set the tone defensively with energy and movement that will render strong rebounding numbers by game's end.

Last edited:
Maybe its a myth that can't rebound out of the zone if Syracuse came out on top 14 times this year.

Maybe its a myth that can't rebound out of the zone if Syracuse came out on top 14 times this year.
Is that really a good number? 14 out of the whole year?

Is that really a good number? 14 out of the whole year?
Not great!

But we’re presented an opportunity here with SDSU not featuring a taller squad.

that’s not to say they can’t outwork, and be more physical than us grabbing boards. We need Quincy, Alan, Braswell, Jesse and Marek to show maximum effort in the minutes they’re granted. Won’t hear me complain if Joe pulls down another 6 like he did vs UVA too.

I don’t think we win a shootout vs this SDSU team, we’re too vulnerable to extended scoreless play. We need to be aggressive and take it to them within 15 ft. Guerrier and Griffin are fantastic rebounders. Get the Aztecs in foul trouble, and earn more second chance opportunities than we allow.

I agree with a lot of your points but foul trouble May not be very effective, it helps but this team is very deep, 11 on the regular so they'll just keep putting em in.
The boards! YES definitely

We didn't exactly play the same schedules. I wonder what San Diego st does against the teams we play against and what we do against the teams that they play. I suggest our o numbers would look better than they currently do.

We didn't exactly play the same schedules. I wonder what San Diego st does against the teams we play against and what we do against the teams that they play. I suggest our o numbers would look better than they currently do.

They also played that funky schedule where every league game was back to back. That would just be odd. Also presents an interesting challenge that could be understated.

It helps that we shoot better too.. Since we dont really go after the offensive rebounds the less misses the less the other team gets. We just need to keep it close and not shoot horribly.

And beat them both
UNC out-rebounded us by 15+ each time though woooof. Probably contributed a bit to their closing the gap in game 2

According to KenPom, we’re rated a good 20 spots higher in offensive efficiency. But they aren’t bad. They’re at the back end of the top 50. I also keep hearing how they haven’t shot well from 3 the past few weeks.

Lot of truth here, although I don't think we are any more apt to scoring droughts than any other team outside of the Top 10 or so.

But you underlying point is that rebounding is fundamental, and to me at least, this flows from the defensive mindset we bring to the game and opponent. We cannot afford to" "feel out SDSU and fall behind 15-4. They're too good. I hope we come out with a business-like attitude and set the tone defensively with energy and movement that will render strong rebounding numbers by game's end.
I agree with this 100%.

The 'defensive mindset' that leads to our best rebounding performances is that seen when we press. Seeking with all your intensity of effort to force the other team to turn the ball over. Looking to exploit their passes under pressure. It's when the whole team is going after the ball as zealously as during a press, that they rebound the ball effectively while playing zone. A rebound, after all, is a "loose ball", isn't it?

Developing that mindset only happens with repetitions...to the point where the guys know how the other team's gonna attack the zone, where the ball's gonna go. For our zone to become a frustrating nightmare for other teams, the guys have got to get past the 'thinking' stage, to where it's all instinctive. See Robert Braswell.

That's the obvious reason why JB decided to go all zone all the time...to give his guys the repetitions they need as a team to where they can become that good at it. And how many times have you heard Quincy say that they need to communicate on defense? The zone just won't work without it. Repetitions.

That's why I'm hoping for--almost expecting--a victory against a team that really is that good. They dominated their conference and won their tournament, showing many strengths along the way. I think it's fair to see them as a challenge equivalent to facing Virginia again. There's only one reason why any of us feel we have a chance, and that is...

Jim Boeheim.

We've seen him do it again and again. I wasn't sure we were gonna be 'there' on defense this year, until the last couple of weeks. But now, it sure does seem like it's all coming together again at the end of the season...

...just as we've seen many times before...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom