Rebounding like Rodman | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rebounding like Rodman

In a thread the other day, someone commented that the players should watch a video of Rodman and learn to rebound like him.

So, I YouTubed a few videos which discuss Rodman's techniques and strategy. Note: its a little more than just boxing out.
  • Study individual shooters and how much spin they put on the ball. More spin might be a shorter rebound. Low spin might be a longer rebound.
  • React to the individual shot arc. High arc might be a shorter rebound. Flat arc might be a longer rebound.
  • A shot from the right side, the rebound will be on the left, and vice versa
  • Move to the optimal position on the court based on the factors above
  • Clear space to give yourself as much space in that optimal position. In some cases, he would pin his man (sit on their legs) under the hoop so they were a) out of position and b) couldn't themselves jump.
  • As he got older, he would lock their arms up so they couldn't even raise their arms
  • Sometimes, he would tip the ball multiple times to himself so that he could eventually gather the ball
  • A tidbit I had never heard was that Rodman was apparently a world class runner and would have won a gold if he had competed in the 400. This superior athleticism also manifested in an ability to double-jump at a greater rate than his opponent.
I rewatched the UVA game, a game where we theoretically rebounded 'well'.

Man, these cats are so far removed from rebounding like Rodman it is not even funny. Some of them do not even react to the shot. They watch it and literally do not move. We all know they do not box out. Even Maliq who had 8 boards, I noticed a few times him doing nothing when the shot was in the air. Meanwhile, the opponents were doing some of these things.

I know the stuff is a lot harder in real life, but I don't think JB needs to be too mystified as to why they are not rebounding. Maybe be mystified why they are not doing what they should be taught.

Putting in the effort on rebounds seems like a much easier path to getting PT than becoming a great scorer.
we lose so many rebounds because they have no sense of where its going.. I mean once the shot goes up you dont actually have to wait until it hits the floor to decide to move.. Before the shot you need to be getting in position and then once its up you need to decide if you need to move.. We rarely even box out on most of these shots. We just stand and sometimes jump and if its not within 1-2 ft no effort.

we lose so many rebounds because they have no sense of where its going.. I mean once the shot goes up you dont actually have to wait until it hits the floor to decide to move.. Before the shot you need to be getting in position and then once its up you need to decide if you need to move.. We rarely even box out on most of these shots. We just stand and sometimes jump and if its not within 1-2 ft no effort.
Its really crazy, watching them sometimes, do nothing on shot attempts.

Joe is good about moving to spots.

Jesse tracks the ball well with his hands.

But, the rest usually literally stand where they are and watch the ball. Usually the opponent pins them, or slides in front of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom