Reception Leaders in 2024 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Reception Leaders in 2024

I know.

You can't control me.
1720357380178.gif

The OP said total yards, so that gives whomever is returning punts and kickoffs a boost.

Cali predictions have another month before the threads posted so I’ll entertain this. Aside from the obvious clear favorite, OG, these are the names I think will compete for second in regards to receiving yards. If Oronde’s healthy, which he currently is in track to be before the opener, he’s the best receiver/TE in the ACC.

JRS
Gill
Haynes

Meeks leap frogs these three names pending health.

I really really hope Villari remains featured as a target but remains to be seen how this staff will treat TE’s despite rhetoric that they will throw to them

This is a great thread. I have enjoyed reading what everyone who responded thinks.

Agree that OG is going to lead the team in yards receiving. This is a given as long has he is healthy all season long. I think it is reasonable to expect him to make over 50 catches and have at least 1000 yards receiving. He should contend for AA honors.

Is he going to line up as a TE all season long? Is he going to line up out wide all season long? Is he going to bounce back and forth? I don’t know but I would think the smart move would be to move him around and try to find the best matchup to get him the ball. OG looks to have added about 20 good pounds since 2022. Maybe 25. I am guessing he is too big and strong for most DBs to cover him. Even if they are 6’2 and 210 he is going to be a problem. A 6’4 230 LB that can really run would seem a better bet but how many teams have players like this and how many of those players are good at pass coverage?

My guess is most of the time, the best matchups for SU will be with OG playing in the slot, which is probably bad news for Trevor Pena and probably good news for Dan Villari. Could see them sometimes moving OG to the line to go heavy wit 2 TEs and sometimes split him out and force defenses to find a way to cover OG and Dan Villari on passing plays.

Coach Nixon has a lot of options for who to use at WR besides OG and Pena. I suspect Haynes will be used a lot because he is probably our best big play threat. Is he strong enough and tough enough to get open against a quality big, experienced ACC CB? I think Haynes, Gill and Hatcher (along with Pena some) are going to be our deep threats. I see Meeks and Peña more as shorter yardage guys, guys we threw to underneath, usually over the middle.

We will probably throw some to our RBs as well, and if this question was about number of receptions, we might want to discuss Allen more.

Bottom line, McCord is going to have some weapons. One big concern is whether anyone other than OG can get open against a defense that will get in our face, play press coverage and dare us to beat them one on one. I think we have the WRs to burn these teams for the first time in years. Our OL has to be at least decent in pass protection and I think we have to how people we can run the ball as well to really have an effective offense.

But I think we have all the elements needed to be very good on offense. I will be disappointed if we are not one of the top 3 or 4 best offenses in the conference. Very disappointed and very surprised.

I did not answer the question though. Not sure who the number 2, 3 and 4 guys are going to be in receiving yards. I will consider to consider this until the Cali deadline. I will say I suspect it is probably going to be pretty close and a number of players already mentioned will be in the mix.

This is a great thread. I have enjoyed reading what everyone who responded thinks.

Agree that OG is going to lead the team in yards receiving. This is a given as long has he is healthy all season long. I think it is reasonable to expect him to make over 50 catches and have at least 1000 yards receiving. He should contend for AA honors.

Is he going to line up as a TE all season long? Is he going to line up out wide all season long? Is he going to bounce back and forth? I don’t know but I would think the smart move would be to move him around and try to find the best matchup to get him the ball. OG looks to have added about 20 good pounds since 2022. Maybe 25. I am guessing he is too big and strong for most DBs to cover him. Even if they are 6’2 and 210 he is going to be a problem. A 6’4 230 LB that can really run would seem a better bet but how many teams have players like this and how many of those players are good at pass coverage?

My guess is most of the time, the best matchups for SU will be with OG playing in the slot, which is probably bad news for Trevor Pena and probably good news for Dan Villari. Could see them sometimes moving OG to the line to go heavy wit 2 TEs and sometimes split him out and force defenses to find a way to cover OG and Dan Villari on passing plays.

Coach Nixon has a lot of options for who to use at WR besides OG and Pena. I suspect Haynes will be used a lot because he is probably our best big play threat. Is he strong enough and tough enough to get open against a quality big, experienced ACC CB? I think Haynes, Gill and Hatcher (along with Pena some) are going to be our deep threats. I see Meeks and Peña more as shorter yardage guys, guys we threw to underneath, usually over the middle.

We will probably throw some to our RBs as well, and if this question was about number of receptions, we might want to discuss Allen more.

Bottom line, McCord is going to have some weapons. One big concern is whether anyone other than OG can get open against a defense that will get in our face, play press coverage and dare us to beat them one on one. I think we have the WRs to burn these teams for the first time in years. Our OL has to be at least decent in pass protection and I think we have to how people we can run the ball as well to really have an effective offense.

But I think we have all the elements needed to be very good on offense. I will be disappointed if we are not one of the top 3 or 4 best offenses in the conference. Very disappointed and very surprised.

I did not answer the question though. Not sure who the number 2, 3 and 4 guys are going to be in receiving yards. I will consider to consider this until the Cali deadline. I will say I suspect it is probably going to be pretty close and a number of players already mentioned will be in the mix.
A wild card is James, he wants to play, and he has speed we might never have seen here. Plus he is solidly built if he can pick up enough of the playbook, they need to find situations to use him.

I feel early on a number of wide receivers will get looks but those numbers will decrease by the third game. If you cannot get open or drop balls you will not see the field.
I know a lot of people talk about Hatcher and Gill but I am not sure how much time they will see as the season goes on.
If Meeks is healthy he is going to play. Same with the transfer from Colorado state and Hayes. In addition, Fran brought in some higher level wr. Add in James for next level speed.
Peña showed out in the spring game. Keeps it up he will see the field a lot.
OG and Valleri will slot in at TE. I see two tight end sets.
The point being we have more offense talent overall then we have had in years. Plus an elite qb. OG might get the most looks but I feel the ball is going to be spread around to multiple players.
If we can get a ground game going I could see two 1,000 yard receivers and a third getting close. 54 days till kick off.

Tomcat - great writeup.

Except…
you totally forgot a guy who most folks think is a mortal lock to be an NFL WR after this season:

Justus Ross-Simmons.

Dude is a stud.

I agree that OGII will likely get moved all over the field, to exploit mismatches (and give opposing DC’s nightmares and migraines).

Would love to see Villari moved around too, in-line TE, slot, wide, and H-back.
At the H he can block, catch, and occasionally even run and if we wanna do some trickeration, run Wildcat and even pass it.

Lots of great pieces, and by far the most talent, size, speed, and depth we’ve had at the O skill positions in decades.

With a QB who can get them all the ball, on time and on target.

Tomcat - great writeup.

Except…
you totally forgot a guy who most folks think is a mortal lock to be an NFL WR after this season:

Justus Ross-Simmons.

Dude is a stud.

I agree that OGII will likely get moved all over the field, to exploit mismatches (and give opposing DC’s nightmares and migraines).

Would love to see Villari moved around too, in-line TE, slot, wide, and H-back.
At the H he can block, catch, and occasionally even run and if we wanna do some trickeration, run Wildcat and even pass it.

Lots of great pieces, and by far the most talent, size, speed, and depth we’ve had at the O skill positions in decades.

With a QB who can get them all the ball, on time and on target.
Agree. And i am a big fan of his film too. Justus is my odds on favorite to be second on the team in yards receiving.

Apologies to him. And wow, it is nice to finally have a bunch of names to talk about here.

Our leading receiver last season (Hatcher) might not finish in the top 5 the following season.

Last edited:
I think we have so much ptsd from the wideouts the last decade and we hype them up and they never get open. However, I think this group of guys is a different caliber of player. And then having LA in backfield. I mean this could be unreal and yes my expectations are already sky high lol

I think we have so much ptsd from the wideouts the last decade and we hype them up and they never get open. However, I think this group of guys is a different caliber of player. And then having LA in backfield. I mean this could be unreal and yes my expectations are already sky high lol
This is legitimately a late 90’s quality skill position set especially when you consider the quality of depth with true frosh like Willis and Ross.

The only WRs I have strong confidence to get open against a good press defense are OG and JRS. Even with JRS, I have some reservations about how he does against the really good press CBs we are going to go up against in the ACC. Don’t think he saw many top end CBs so far in his college career.

It will help that we don’t face Clemson, FSU and ND. NC State and VT have good CBs but I don’t think they are at the same level as the big boys of the ACC. Pitt used to but it looks to me as though the talent there has dropped off quite a bit in the last couple of years.

That said, ability to get open and make catches against press coverage is a big reason why I think OG and JRS will be our most successful WRs this year.

Can Haynes, Meeks, Hatcher, Pena and Gill get open against high end CBs? Not sure. We know Haynes and Meeks have practiced against them a lot. I think it helps that the best coverage guys will probably be put on OG and JRS. The other guys are never going to get doubled. They should have many chances to show what they can do.

What helps press coverage issues is a good running game. if we force the safeties to deal with the run they wont be helping out the DBs as easily. and if Meeks or Haynes show they can at least be dangerous deep the safeties have 2 things to worry about.

We threw well enough last year before Shrader got hurt because teams had to honor the run. Once the box became 15 yds deep the passing game fell apart.

Peña
OG
Haynes
Dang the title of this thread screwed me up! lol I have my list of total reception leaders not yards.

My edited list as follows;

OG
haynes
Peña

Excited to see how this plays out. I think OG is the primary BUT there are 5 other players who it seems like could bust out for high receptions and yards in any game. Pena got allot of looks from our new QB in the Spring game. If McCord trusts Pena (sure looked that way in the Spring), he could get touches and yards. Simmons has history. Haynes has wheels and talent. Meeks if healthy could show big. Villari at Hback can do damage. Don't sleep on our 4 star WR Ross from NJ either and oh by the way Gill made some plays as well and is getting better. Some possible excitement ahead!
Excited Watching Tv GIF by Gogglebox Australia

One other thing about Peña. The reports out of spring ball said the coaches really like him, and it showed in the spring game. I think he is going to see more run than some on here are anticipating, and I think that's a great thing

I now step down from my Peña soapbox
Healthy Pena is the Erv Phillips piece I've wanted since Erv Phillips

I know many people are much higher on Peña than I am and like to point out how he was frequently targeted in the spring game. For those of you focusing on that, I hope you remember that OG and Meeks were injured, JRS hadn’t transferred in yet and Hornsby and Ross hadn’t enrolled yet. He may still have a good year, but he has a number of players to compete with.

I know many people are much higher on Peña than I am and like to point out how he was frequently targeted in the spring game. For those of you focusing on that, I hope you remember that OG and Meeks were injured, JRS hadn’t transferred in yet and Hornsby and Ross hadn’t enrolled yet. He may still have a good year, but he has a number of players to compete with.

Thinking the same way.

I would be very surprised if two summer enrollee freshman were competing with the guy who was our #2 receiver coming out of camp last season.

So I wanted to talk about the receivers and tight ends on the 2024 roster. Man, there sure seems to be an overwhelming amount of quality talent to choose from. I would even go so far to say that these 2 positions are loaded, even without seeing many of them take the field yet for Syracuse.

I was wondering who we all feel will be the top 3 receivers/TE's at the end of the year in total yards? Feel free to mix and match from both positions to come up with a top 3 (I don't see how you can do this exercise otherwise)

I'll give my top 3 and add one X Factor--someone who didn't make my top 3 but very well could by year's end.

Anyway, here's my group:
1. Justus Ross Simmons
2. Oronde Gadsden
3. Trebor Pena
X-Factor: Yazeed Haynes

Notable absences: Dan Villari, Emanuel Ross, Jackson Meeks, Jamie Tremble

I have to say Trebor Pena wowed me in the Spring Game. That kid really transformed his body and he will be someone to contend with come fall. I was shockingly surprised (in a good way). I just hope he stays healthy all year so we can see what he really can do
Was JRS that good at Colorado state? I haven’t checked him out yet.

That’s fair. My reference to the spring game was more about McCord trusting him. He kept throwing to him and he kept catching it. McCord will remember that. That said Pena has had difficulty staying healthy. Which could impede. Overall lots of talent on the receiving side of the ledger this season.

That’s fair. My reference to the spring game was more about McCord trusting him. He kept throwing to him and he kept catching it. McCord will remember that. That said Pena has had difficulty staying healthy. Which could impede. Overall lots of talent on the receiving side of the ledger this season.
Trebor has been quite skinny during his time on the hill but since the new coaching staff arrived and the new training staff started working with him, he, like many players on the team, has made major strides in adding muscle to his body.

Hopefully that helps keep him on the field in the 2024 season. If he is right, there aren't many out there better returning punts.

I do expect him to make more of an impact catching passes as well. Probably not going to be in our top 2 or 3 in receiving yards but I expect him to be a factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom