Recruiting: '16 QB Commit Rex Culpepper - Torn ACL | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting: '16 QB Commit Rex Culpepper - Torn ACL

jekelish

Living Legend
Rough news for one of our top recruits. Fortunately he's got this full year to recover, plus a redshirt year once he gets to SU. He's expected to be on campus in January, so the downside is this means he's almost certain to miss spring practice due to rehab.

Bummer. But, some good can come from this. He does not seem like the type that will let this time pass while simply rehabbing one injury. I bet he's a real student of the game and he'll get after it through film work, coaching/tutoring his teammates, etc. He can also work on other parts of his body in the interim.

I know anything can happen in recruiting. But all the same, the Culpeppers seem like a family in which "commitment" means just that. BOL to him in fighting through this and emerging stronger by year-end.

I think I read somewhere that he needs to work on his flexibility. He does look pretty muscle bound, so he might be susceptible to certain kinds of injuries. With his work ethic, he should be fine by next summer. The spring might be a little soon.

Anybody know if dad ever had an ACL? If dad came back to play in 8 months that might be why he's so optimistic given the advances in modern medicine since his playing days.

Anybody know if dad ever had an ACL? If dad came back to play in 8 months that might be why he's so optimistic given the advances in modern medicine since his playing days.
I'm not sure but as someone mentioned on the recruiting board, with his dad being a longtime NFL player and now a personal injury lawyer...if ANYONE is going to have access to great surgeons and PT, it's Rex Culpepper.

I'm not sure but as someone mentioned on the recruiting board, with his dad being a longtime NFL player and now a personal injury lawyer...if ANYONE is going to have access to great surgeons and PT, it's Rex Culpepper.
Yeah that was me who brought up the topic of possibly getting Dr. Andrews.

it is a question I don't want to ask, but, any chance the kid was injured before he committed? just seems weird, 2 weeks later he tears the acl? it was a strange commitment to begin with, the family seemed more all in than they needed to be. does SU cover the surgery at this point?

it is a question I don't want to ask, but, any chance the kid was injured before he committed? just seems weird, 2 weeks later he tears the acl? it was a strange commitment to begin with, the family seemed more all in than they needed to be. does SU cover the surgery at this point?
Are you kidding me? They seemed "more all in than they needed to be"? So we're going to criticize a commit and his family for being excited about Syracuse now? Good lord.

And why the hell would SU cover the surgery for a kid who hasn't signed a LOI, and whose dad is a millionaire?

orangehomer said:
while playing wideout? still seems strange but I will stop typing. edit: I hate to edit posts but I am editing in this case. if the kid is committed to SU as a QB why the . . . . is playing wideout at some shitty camp months before he could be on campus. sometine aint right here.

Ummm ... Ya , too many detective movies

Are you kidding me? They seemed "more all in than they needed to be"? So we're going to criticize a commit and his family for being excited about Syracuse now? Good lord.

And why the hell would SU cover the surgery for a kid who hasn't signed a LOI, and whose dad is a millionaire?
can you at least admit that the kid had nothing else to prove, but apparently got hurt playing somewhere he didn't need to be playing

ACL tears take about 2 years before the player becomes fully what they were before the injury.They come back in 1 year, but that year its all about the player learning to trust their bodies again. So no matter what I hope the coaches plan is to just redshirt the kid for 2016 season and let him be healthy to compete in the Spring of 2017 for the QB position for the 2017 season.

Last edited:
can you at least admit that the kid had nothing else to prove, but apparently got hurt playing somewhere he didn't need to be playing
Who is to say he was out there trying to prove anything...maybe he just likes playing football...Maybe his team was playing in a tournament and they want to get better so he played too...maybe there were scouts there and he wanted to be there for his teammates that don't have scholarships yet...there are probably many reasons why he played in this tournament...I am going with the first maybe...

Safe bet he's one of the better athletes on the team, if they wanted to get another QB reps they could've just thrown him out there. Who knows how many guys they brought to the camp? Not uncommon at all. QB's secondary position is WR most of the time.

They're still 17 year old kids out there having fun. What do you want him to do? Sit on a shelf until he gets here? Accidents happen, he'll be fine.

His team reeled off 5 straight wins to reach the 7-on-7 tournament final. Perhaps they were short-handed at receiver? Rex was out there competing and keeping active.

You'd probably rail him for playing a pickup hoops game, riding his bike, or stumbling down the stairs as well.

We can't mandate a verbal commitment wrap himself in bubble wrap and sit on a couch until he reports. Is it unfortunate? Sure. But it happens.