Recruiting 2019-2021 | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2019-2021

"Andre Hilton lacrosse" doesn't even come up in a google search. So even if he did commit probably not a great sign.

"Andre Hilton lacrosse" doesn't even come up in a google search. So even if he did commit probably not a great sign.
I googled different variations and nothing and if you look at our classes on there, it’s not very promising looking site.

Interesting in that over on fanlax, Ty Xanders is answering recruiting questions on the Hopkins thread. Appears he is very clued in with Petro and Hopkins (shocking) and as you can expect pretty much every answer is positive. Still interesting none the less.

Interesting in that over on fanlax, Ty Xanders is answering recruiting questions on the Hopkins thread. Appears he is very clued in with Petro and Hopkins (shocking) and as you can expect pretty much every answer is positive. Still interesting none the less.
He's not going to post anything particularly negative about any team, because he may lose access to those coaches if he does. He doesn't post negative stuff about Syracuse, just facts regarding de-commits.

JHU recruits well, so Xanders has good things to say about them.

Now, if he came to this site, how would he be received by us?

He's not going to post anything particularly negative about any team, because he may lose access to those coaches if he does. He doesn't post negative stuff about Syracuse, just facts regarding de-commits.

JHU recruits well, so Xanders has good things to say about them.

Now, if he came to this site, how would he be received by us?

I wasn't insinuating that he writes negative stuff about SU but clearly Hopkins recruiting hasn't come anywhere close to matching the on field performance, I thought he may touch on that a bit but he didn't and he was mostly answering fan questions so I can see why he did it. As far as him coming here, I don't think he would be received negatively but to be honest I don't see him coming here, he has never been a guy who had a personal relationship or contacts at SU.

I wasn't insinuating that he writes negative stuff about SU but clearly Hopkins recruiting hasn't come anywhere close to matching the on field performance, I thought he may touch on that a bit but he didn't and he was mostly answering fan questions so I can see why he did it. As far as him coming here, I don't think he would be received negatively but to be honest I don't see him coming here, he has never been a guy who had a personal relationship or contacts at SU.
You're right, it would be interesting if he gave insight on what recruits think about Hopkins lack of success lately. I wonder if recruits even think about the gap between their recruiting success and their success on the field. JHU hasn't had a dominant attackman like we've seen from some teams that have had more success lately, like Duke (Guterding), Yale (Reeves), MD (Rambo), PSU (Ament), Loyola (Spencer). Even Albany (Fields). So, their past recruiting success is kind of overblown I think, but now they have Epstein and some good oens coming in.

Impressive that his highlight tape focuses on all different aspects of the game, defense, offense, clearing. Plus he seems to operate all over the field. And yes, he does look like he has good size.

Ive always downplayed IL and RR rankings a bit beyond their top twenty five because there are so many good players and it's impossible to cover all.

Having said that ...

I have the UTMOST RESPECT for TY XANDERS for having the courage to share and tweet about his past struggles with anxiety and depression.

He has a large following and his message about mental health was read by many that do suffer and sharing his story and encouragement had to be of great help for many.

Mental health issues are very prevalent today and many need our understanding, encouragement, support and help. Using his forum to raise awareness for all to read and hopefully absorb was very unselfish.

Two thumbs up to TY XANDERS .

Figured I'd join the fun on here too, as I've been a frequent reader the last 6-12 months. Over on the Hopkins thread, someone asked me to answer questions about JHU recruiting, so I figured I'd do so honestly to feed another passionate fanbase. The subject of Hopkins' on-field results not matching past recruiting rankings (not my words) never came up so there was no need, and I also don't think that's appropriate to discuss on a forum of all places.

Quite frankly, I don't think anybody can know where I don't have relationships and contacts. While I must admit I don't speak with the SU coaches as often as I do the rest of the staffs in the Top 20 (or others in Division I, for that matter), I do have some relationships up there and with some knowledgeable alums, so I'm pretty familiar with the program.

With that said, I'm happy to answer questions about Orange recruiting or anything else... within reason, of course. I think there's been some misinformation and assumptions — particularly about IL rankings, which I'll always defend — so feel free to shoot me some questions via private message or on here and I'll do my best to respond.

Ive always downplayed IL and RR rankings a bit beyond their top twenty five because there are so many good players and it's impossible to cover all.

Having said that ...

I have the UTMOST RESPECT for TY XANDERS for having the courage to share and tweet about his past struggles with anxiety and depression.

He has a large following and his message about mental health was read by many that do suffer and sharing his story and encouragement had to be of great help for many.

Mental health issues are very prevalent today and many need our understanding, encouragement, support and help. Using his forum to raise awareness for all to read and hopefully absorb was very unselfish.

Two thumbs up to TY XANDERS .

Thank you so much for the support. It means a lot and I'm really appreciative of the lacrosse community in general, a lot of really good people have reached out ever since - I'm thankful that I have the platform to talk about it!

Last edited:
Figured I'd join the fun on here too, as I've been a frequent reader the last 6-12 months. Over on the Hopkins thread, someone asked me to answer questions about JHU recruiting, so I figured I'd do so honestly to feed another passionate fanbase. The subject of Hopkins' on-field results not matching past recruiting rankings (not my words) never came up so there was no need, and I also don't think that's appropriate to discuss on a forum of all places.

Quite frankly, I don't think anybody can know where I don't have relationships and contacts. While I must admit I don't speak with the SU coaches as often as I do the rest of the staffs in the Top 20 (or others in Division I, for that matter), I do have some relationships up there and with some knowledgeable alums, so I'm pretty familiar with the program.

With that said, I'm happy to answer questions about Orange recruiting or anything else... within reason, of course. I think there's been some misinformation and assumptions — particularly about IL rankings, which I'll always defend — so feel free to shoot me some questions via private message or on here and I'll do my best to respond.

Thank you so much for the support. It means a lot and I'm really appreciative of the lacrosse community in general, a lot of really good people have reached out ever since - I'm thankful that I have the platform to talk about it!
Ty,

We are very happy to have you here. I will lead off the questions.

What can we expect from Shaffer Woody? There is hardly any recent video of him available online, so it's hard to know what to expect.

Have you seen Liam Ferris play in person? If so, how does he compare with the other attackmen in his graduating class, which seems loaded with great attackmen. How do you think his game will translate to college?

Super cool of you to come on here Ty! So how are our chances looking for landing Austin Staats after he finishes his gap year in the NLL?

But in all seriousness, obviously the main thing bumming out Cuse fans recently was the awful slew of class of 2020 decommits last year, along with Zawada in 2019. Obviously don't expect you to have all the answers here, but did you personally perceive that as

1. Some kind of chain reaction where recruits saw a couple of our top kids bail and started thinking something like: "Damn maybe I should look at other options too, now that my recruiting class looks less strong. I was planning on coming in with all those top guys."

or

2. Each of those kids having their own individual reasons (academics, doubts about Cuse's potential for success unrelated to their recruiting class, successful poaching attempts, etc.) and the news of each just all coming out around the same time.

Could it also have been some combination of the two?

Again not sure if that is the type of thing you would have inside info on, but we would all love to hear your thoughts. Then maybe when you're done you could butter us up by telling us how good Owen Hiltz looks to end things on a positive note, but obviously no rush, sir. Again, really appreciate you doing this!

Welcome, Ty! It's a small but very rabid group here. We welcome your input, when you can. We'd love to hear your thoughts on SU this season. After you post previews on your site, of course. ;)

Welcome Mr. Xanders.

Will add here on the mental health part, I’ve learned how important my mental health is and during the last 4 years in my profession (working with troubled youth) and prior to that profession the Madison Holleran story and then finding out there was a book earlier this year and buying that and reading it and what an eye opening story that was and just how much more aware of my mental health and what I try to do for myself.

If your interested

Last edited:

What's up with your last name? I mean, whose last name starts with an "X?" Fascinating. ;)

Ty: I know the agonizing paralysis of that toxic combination of anxiety and depression. The struggle one goes through sometimes just to move. The constant cycling of hopeless thoughts. This forum is full of outstanding ly supportive people. I can only offer the mantra I have used for people with severe back pain. It will end. Welcome.

Ty, I'd love to hear any info you have on the three freshmen who left this fall (Derby, Wood, Levandowski). I was curious if you had an info on to why each of them decided to leave and where Wood and Levandowski might end up. Thanks

DDB544C3-AE15-4684-9E99-8F425D156E5F.jpeg

Welcome, Ty! Having been a therapist for 15 years or so (not currently working), I know how hard it is to talk about this. I worked with a lot of young athletes and the stigma of needing help was almost always an issue we needed to work through. YOUR courage will help others buy into the reality that this is a *widespread problem* that doesn't need to be tackled alone. Even after kids get help they still need this reassurance along the way. Well done!

The Iroquois U19 team tryouts started recently I think. Does anyone know who tried out for that team?